Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ace Attorney coming to steam!

Black Angel

Arcane
I thought this game and its ilks are for fujoshi, but I guess it's worth trying.

Also teen Hobo, illustrated:
Ff5N6x0.gif
while the game's fanbase consist of .. well some lewd fanart of phoenix and edgy, there are top waifus too for the other kind of degenerates. (altho the best one are usually dead, in fact the best one is DEAD! you'll know when you see her)
Think I finally understand this video:

kirin

Learned
Why do I get the feeling they will wrap it in desmume and call it a day

troupeg

Educated
Why is this in jrpg? It's classified officially by Capcom as an adventure game.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane

For the same reason a game with giant robots (Phantom Brigade, not the SJWBTech) is considered a RPG here (as well as a standard action adventure with furries for some reason). Also, too bad I finished the trilogy already years ago, I was planning to check the 3DS titles. Are they any good?

As for the extra cases of the 1st game, I didn't like them, their tone and complexity was very different compared with the regular cases and everything seemed like a filler episode (because it was). Worse, it introduced characters that would appear in the horrible 4th game with the unnecessary Wright clone as the MC.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are they any good?
spirit of justice is kinda lame tbh, they took the ability to click every where, only able to investigate / clcik on places they want you to click, and the new characters are absolutely unmemorable.

dual destinies is the best AA game since trials and tribulation. i think it is really a return to form. they brought back real investigations where you can examine every backdrop, etc. it also wrapped up apollo's story nicely, return of maya fey and the new characters are memorable as well as the new prosecutor. they did ema skye justice finally by making her a real foresic scientist this time. like yeah, apollo justice and spirits is the weakest entry of the series, and honestly they did a disservice to some of the characters. dual destinies brought back old characters, and finally did them scenario that they deserve (edgy becoming chief prosecutor, maya is still maya, but abit more mature and a master spirit medium, pearls is also pearls but also matured and it really makes the apollo justice arc's characters shine too. the only character with little satisfying development this time is actually athena, and maybe they will make her better in the next game if there was any)

the only thing it hasnt brought up from the original trilogy is the ability to present profiles at all time.

troupeg

Educated

For the same reason a game with giant robots (Phantom Brigade, not the SJWBTech) is considered a RPG here (as well as a standard action adventure with furries for some reason). Also, too bad I finished the trilogy already years ago, I was planning to check the 3DS titles. Are they any good?

As for the extra cases of the 1st game, I didn't like them, their tone and complexity was very different compared with the regular cases and everything seemed like a filler episode (because it was). Worse, it introduced characters that would appear in the horrible 4th game with the unnecessary Wright clone as the MC.
Not filler anymore. In the typo up translation of JfA in the 3DS/This one, they reference RftA now, so it's no longer filler in terms of the trilogy

Actually, they fix SO many typos and weird lines in the original, in the 3DS/HD Trilogy.

ie.
DS:
Phoenix: I think this recording makes it clear that the clockwork was already gone…
and this was recorded in the morning, before the witness even arrived at her hotel!

3DS/Steam/PS4/Xbox One/Switch:
Phoenix: I think this makes it clear the clockwork was already gone by the time this was recorded,
which was well before the witness even arrived at her hotel!

Last edited:

troupeg

Educated
The original line reads fine to me?
It has a completely overly complex sentence structure for no reason. It's still correct technically

It would be like saying "that thing is in the jar, that you are looking for" instead of "the thing you are looking for is in the jar"

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, it's one of the charms of not-so-great translation. Honestly, I'm fine with that in a game like Ace Attorney, which is always a mix of a bit of over the top, a bit of 4th wall humour, a bit of awkward naivete.

Perkel

Arcane
So whats so special about this game?

You take a role of a new lawyer trying to defend people in a country which prosecutors almost always win (it is clearly based on japan as in japan prosecutors they have like 98% win ratio), you take on various cases which by themselves usually don't have anything in common but over time they make an consistent story arc which gets final in the last case. And aside from each game story arc, whole 3 games build an separate overarching arc so you will see some characters multiple times in various situations.

It reminds a lot of good detective books but more interactive and unlike a book you have amazing pacing that is accompanied with one of the best sounds and music in gaming that just knows when to push up to 11, dead stop and return with glory accenting your amazing idea.

When case happens, first you investigate a crime scene and talk to various people and gather evidence, once trial starts you cross examine witnesses trying to find inconsistencies in their testimony trying to find out lies and so on, that could help your client. Some cases are one day only, some are 2-3 days, where each day gives you an ability to gather more evidence, talk to more people etc.

Game is definitely unique, hard to describe and looks unfunny when you describe it. But game is fucking amazing, has great writing, great characters, great stories and story. It is also a half serious half comedy in good 80's comedy style. Judge is a bumbling fool who has an alzheimer, prosecutors look weird, the police guy who often goes against you is also a fucking retard but those initial feelings quickly transform into awe in how those characters are likable and sometimes those retards grow and show that they are the real deal. Like the judge who you want to murder ever time he opens his idiotic mouth is really good dude, just stupid but there are times when you realize that he has sharp mind at times.

It remind me a lot of french comedies with Luis de Funes

Animation might be a bit old but it is also expressive giving you a way to see everything just by looking at characters:

200.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Release in April 9th, and actual Steam page:

The classic courtroom adventure series that has sold over 6.7 million copies worldwide is finally here. Become Phoenix Wright and experience the thrill of battle as you fight to save your innocent clients in a court of law. Play all 14 episodes, spanning the first three games, in one gorgeous collection. Solve the intriguing mysteries behind each case and witness the final truth for yourself!

NOTE: French, German, Korean, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese language support will be added to the game in a post-launch update.

Kaethar

Educated
Playing through the trilogy right now on the 3DS and I 100% recommend it, hope they bring the other games on PC as well.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got a review code for this game and ended up playing through the tutorial and second case of the first game in one sitting. HOLY FUCK IT'S AWESOME, the writing is super tight, terrifyingly smooth tonal flip flopping, delightful vibe, well rounded character (I love Edgeworth's methodical demeanor a lot), and it managed to avoid a huge issue I found in many Japanese games: filler dialogue. And whoa I didn't expect them to
kill off Wright's chief in the second case. I just got to like her :(
It reminds me of the only Japanese game that I take seriously - Danganronpa, which has more sparsed moments and slower pacing. Phoenix Wright on the other hand, feels like there's no meaningless moments and I can tell investigatons difficulty gonna ramp up in the next cases. Love it, hope this impression will last until the end.

Perkel

Arcane
Also pretty good trailer showing how it looks. It looks weird in stills but when you play it, it looks great:

I got a review code for this game and ended up playing through the tutorial and second case of the first game in one sitting. HOLY FUCK IT'S AWESOME, the writing is super tight, terrifyingly smooth tonal flip flopping, delightful vibe, well rounded character (I love Edgeworth's methodical demeanor a lot), and it managed to avoid a huge issue I found in many Japanese games: filler dialogue. And whoa I didn't expect them to
kill off Wright's chief in the second case. I just got to like her :(
It reminds me of the only Japanese game that I take seriously - Danganronpa, which has more sparsed moments and slower pacing. Phoenix Wright on the other hand, feels like there's no meaningless moments and I can tell investigatons difficulty gonna ramp up in the next cases. Love it, hope this impression will last until the end.

Mate Denganronpa is like garbage tier compared to Ace Attorney and Zero Escape series.
You are in for a treat.

Perkel

Arcane
I think the best thing about Ace series is how tone swings around and how animation, writting and music plays sooooo well together to change your mood as you play.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I liked the pixelated DS look more. Fingers crossed there is a resolution option in graphics settings so I can set it to 800x450 or something similar.

The Steam version uses the iOS port art, which I've never been a fan of.

Anyhow played through Spirit of Justice and Dai Gyakuten Saiban in the span of the week. Really liked both, though DGS doesn't run too well on Citra with my setup. To sum up my feelings for both.

AA: Spirit of Justice
Pros:
+all cases felt pretty solid, no awful dregs like Turnabout Big Top
+Has a case in the middle without an investigation portion. Honestly, who likes that?
+really satisfying last case
+seancing aka seeing the victim's last recollections, the new puzzle gimmick, was pretty well utilized
+
ends with Apollo and Ema essentially written out, which paves hope to replace them with more interesting characters

Cons:
-mood matrix aka the worst gimmick is present, albeit rarely
-prosecutor is like a less interesting version of Franziska Von Karma. Except male and has the buddhism motif.
-soundtrack lacks new memorable tunes
-rotating objects for clues felt like shit, but can probably be attributed to emulator control scheme
-Maya coming back honestly didn't feel relevant

Dai Gyakuten Saiban
Pros:
+beautiful soundtrack
+Probably the most cohesive story I've seen so far. All cases are tied to each other organically.
+Ryuunosuke goes through actual character development. Him gradually turning from a shaky mess to more confident in the first case is a good showcase how the character animations enhance the experience.
+prosecutor feels like a proper antagonist

Cons:
-ends on a cliffhanger, which wouldn't be so bad if there were any word about the sequel getting getting translated
-not sold on the jury gimmick. It's pretty one dimensional and they have to resort to recycling characters, which pokes away the suspension of disbelief.
-last case drags on a bit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom