Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ace Combat 7

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Latro, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Latro Arcane

Latro
    it's about to be out bros

• meh x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn

• incline x 4
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    My copy arrives on Monday and I can't wait. Monday is going to be a long day at work

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Swigen Savant

Swigen
    Loved 2 and 3. Didn’t know they cut a bunch out of 3 for ‘murican version. All I remember about 4 is a boring narrator droning on and on over an acoustic guitar. Awesome games to rent back in the day, you beat ‘em in like 2 hours and feel like a stud.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tiospo Learned

Tiospo
    They need to spend less time on story and cinematics(it's a flipping flight sim) and more time opening up the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    • Doggy Doggy x 3
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Also have some tips for anybody playing the series for the first time:
    -Immediately switch from novice to advanced controls scheme
    -Play on the hardest difficulty
    -Never buy the f-117
    -Learn to use the gun,it will be useful later,especially against more mobile enemies
    -Never shoot missiles at banking enemies,always make sure the enemy is either moving in a straight line or has started to change position.
    -You can skip all the cut scenes if you are bothered by them and not miss anything of value

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    My copy arrives today. Can't wait to go home and start playing. Last Ace Combat games I played was 4 and 5 on PS2. And those 2 were god tier. So today is going to be a very long day at work.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Are you implying that AC games have good or interesting gameplay?

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Dude we get it,you hate ace combat,good for you.
    Good game play(especially when it comes to arcade console flight games) is subjective as fuck,but the series at least tries to maintain some mission variety which can count for interesting game play.
    In fact,my second and last point should tell you that i have a problem with the series difficulty and cut scenes.

^ Top  
  13. fork Cipher

fork
    Anyone here played yet?
    Is there a Free Flight mode? If so, how does it work, is it available on all maps? Can you choose some settings like weather for example? How big are the maps?

^ Top  
  14. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Free flight mode is available for all missions. There is no weather selection.
    As for size they are mostly all the same size like int his video:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. KrempRat Novice

KrempRat
    You can do Free Flight. Once you complete a mission that map shows up in the Free Flight list. There aren't any weather/time of day settings from what I've seen. But it's nice to be able to just fly around and enjoy the scenery.

I'm loving the game so far. Ace Combat is back

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. SkiNNyBane Savant Patron

SkiNNyBane
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    See you guys on the battlefield.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    Now having played through the campaign on Hard difficulty, I can say this is definitely the most challenging Ace Combat that I've played. The story doesn't outshine Ace Combat 5, unfortunately, but from a pure gameplay standpoint, I'd rate Ace Combat 7 as the best in the series. I hope the increasing missile-sponginess of enemies doesn't become a trend.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Wow,so much negative reviews on steam for not supporting hotas,for a arcade console flight game.

^ Top  
  19. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah, I would never use a HOTAS in an arcade game. It is absolutely not needed, and using it would just make some needless wear and tear on the HOTAS.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. bertram_tung Arcane Patron

bertram_tung
    they've finally been releasing the DLC missions over the last couple of months. mission 1 and 2 have already been released, and the 3rd DLC mission comes out in a few days

I hear the DLC missions have been really good so far. From what I have read, the missions serve as a self contained mini story, tying into the game story well, and overall higher quality than most of the normal campaign. I'm replaying the campaign for the first time, and I will play each mission when they take place chronologically during the story (I think they take place around mission 14 or so)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. CyberModuled Learned

CyberModuled
    I'd advise not imo. Their overall difficulty and length definitely requires endgame aircrafts and parts in the aircraft tree if you want a good rank. Besides, the plot of the DLC is so sidelined by the overall main plot that it feels like its own thing entirely.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. bertram_tung Arcane Patron

bertram_tung
    I have already unlocked all the powerful craft after playing through once & s-ranking, and they released 3 high end crafts as DLC if that's not good enough, so I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. This game has never been that hard, it's just fun

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    I never played a game of the series. Is this a good game if you liked Strike Commander 30 years ago?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Yldr Literate

Yldr
    It's an arcade flight series and in its genre it's still unmatched, but unless you absolutely want multiplayer or current-gen graphics you should instead start with the PS2 trilogy and move up from there if you're liking it.

Ace Combat 04 (Shattered Skies/Distant Thunder) still looks fine in 1080p with PCSX2 and the mission design is a top-notch example of old-school excellence: you are just dropped on a big map and left free to do as you please and rack as many kills as possible, but still with an evolving battlefield depending on which battles you participate in. The very few babysitting segments or failure conditions are absolutely refreshing and liberating.

The other two PS2 games (5 and 0) and the two PSP games (X and X²) are solid entries too, but they gradually evolved towards more scripted missions with more failure scenarios. They are still excellent though, if only for the exhilarating fights against huge flying fortresses or other giant enemies.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/ace...n-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-two-million

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.