Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Achron, "the first 4-dimensional RTS"

Korgan

Arbiter
http://www.achrongame.com/site/gameplay.php
Holy crap. Looks like a total mindfuck.
Timeline and Timewaves
Like many other games, Achron allows the player to view an overhead map of the surrounding area. However, Achron also shows a map of the timeline. If the player is attacked at a certain point in time, the timeline will show the amount of damage received at that point by a large amount of red on that portion of the timeline. The timeline also shows information including damage dealt and chronoports. Being able to see the amount of available resources at any point in time helps the player figure out the best points in time to construct more units.

Information on the timeline can be lumped into three categories:

* A map of time - "Your opponent will attack you in 1 minute"
* Inform strategy - "You should have taken advantage of your resources and built a larger army 2 minutes ago, go change the past"
* Changes to the timeline - "Your opponent just undid an entire battle in the past"
http://www.achrongame.com/site/achron-a ... aradox.php
I CAN SEE FOREVER.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Puzzle-rts? Seems interesting if campaign is well done. Somehow I doubt that AI would be able to use all features in non scripted scenarios...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I LOL'd at the first post and I CAN SEE FOREVER, followed by Destroid with a Cthulhu-esque avatar.

Johannes

Arcane
Malakal said:
Puzzle-rts? Seems interesting if campaign is well done. Somehow I doubt that AI would be able to use all features in non scripted scenarios...
No RTS ever had a passable AI though, so that's kinda moot point. Or maybe somebody made something decent for SCBW with the new api, but doesn't really matter.

Johannes

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
No RTS ever had a passable AI though
*sigh*
*goes back to the real time mode in MAX, gets raped in the ass by the quick and cunning AI, switches back to turn based*
Ahah, so you take example of a game that's TBS with tacked-on RT option? Still would surprise me if a good player wouldn't beat the shit out of the skirmish AI either mode. Im sceptical if beating you is any indicator of anything, have you ever played it online for any good period of time? Or any RTS game for that matter.

:M

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BTW most RTS games are 4D since time is factored anyway in movement and building/gamebalance. This one is different since you can move back in time but moving forward in time (as in other RTS games) is also time travel. One way but still.

Johannes

Arcane
Malakal said:
BTW most RTS games are 4D since time is factored anyway in movement and building/gamebalance. This one is different since you can move back in time but moving forward in time (as in other RTS games) is also time travel. One way but still.
Most games do feature passing of time, RTS or not.

Destroid

Arcane
poocolator said:
Can you send a unit back through time to destroy itself?
That would have been a funnier explanatory video.

Should be possible due to the event propagation mechanic.

astrosmurf

Novice
Yeah, yeah, timetravel, grandfather paradox, yadayadayada. But the real innovation in this game is here:
Hierarchy

A hierarchy is created when the player directs units to report to another unit, turning that chosen unit into a commander. The player can then direct commanders to report to other units, creating a command hierarchy tree.
If they manage to implement that well, this might be the greatest RTS of all time.

Johannes

Arcane
astrosmurf said:
Yeah, yeah, timetravel, grandfather paradox, yadayadayada. But the real innovation in this game is here:
Hierarchy

A hierarchy is created when the player directs units to report to another unit, turning that chosen unit into a commander. The player can then direct commanders to report to other units, creating a command hierarchy tree.
If they manage to implement that well, this might be the greatest RTS of all time.
In another RTS I'd consider that a boring dumbed down system, but here it has some sense since you cannot micro in response to enemy timetravel so well.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
astrosmurf said:
Hierarchy

This looks amazing, chain of command in a rts game? Actually chain of command anywhere? Sweet.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Johannes said:
astrosmurf said:
Hierarchy

In another RTS I'd consider that a boring dumbed down system.

Grow a brain before you post next time.
And I am not gonna give you clues why you are wrong. Thats not my style.
http://www.panthergames.com/Games/index.html

Johannes

Arcane
No pausing for starters, and design the game around that concept? And I wouldn't call any game featuring strategy and continuous passing of time an RTS either, it's a more defined genre than that.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It's on operational level, not strategic, so it's not a RTS. RTS games are basically strategic-level games in accelerated real time with graphics that look like graphics of a skirmish/tactical game.

Airborne Assault series are Real Time Simulations.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Johannes said:
Orgasm said:
http://www.panthergames.com/Games/index.html
I hope you realise that that's not an RTS.

How unexpected. Attacking the example... :roll:
Why is not an rts? There is no pausing in multi and you can micro that shit too on high speed.

How about you strain you remaining braincells and try to come up with a working concept of a hierarchy in an rts instead of considering somehting boring and dumbed down?
Lets think about why hierarchy exists at all. I guess its because nobody can manage everything everywhere at the same time. So you make an rts where you cant do everything because of sensory overload but you can micro in one place, advancing that front while your opponent might or might not be doing the same in the same place or again, not (what a sentence). You give your commanders leadership stats and predefined behavior as for example fallback, defend, attack, assault, idontknow and he will do it for you. You can even add queued commands and plot a route so he could reinforce you from the other side when you micro win on your front. Why am I describing the exapmle :roll: Ah, yes. Its not an rts. Is Supreme Commander an rts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom