Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ActRaiser Renaissance released (Yes, really)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If it's got the faggy anime style, forget it. I played Actraiser 1 on original SNES hardware near its initial release and enjoyed it very much. I think it was the first thing I ever played with town-building mechanics. However, during my playthrough I got into the habit of using my accumulated power-ups to defeat end-level bosses, so when I reached the end game where you had to re-fight all the game's bosses, one right after the other, I was helpless because I didn't have any of those powerups provided earlier and I didn't hone any type of actual fighting skill so I had to quit.

>skill

you mean you didnt learn the one thing you needed to do to cheese the boss and win

No, I did not. What was it? There was a fuckton of bosses in that game. You telling me there was a single, all-purpose cheese tactic that worked with all of them?

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
No, I did not. What was it? There was a fuckton of bosses in that game. You telling me there was a single, all-purpose cheese tactic that worked with all of them?

Probably the Star magic that rains little fire balls down from the sky. Using it like 2 or 3 times kills pretty much every boss but you really only need to use it once and then clean up the boss with your sword.

Viata

Arcane
Actraiser is a fucking all time classic. It doesn't need a remaster, nor it's fantastic pixel art butchering with fanny anime style crap splurged all over it.
Exactly. I finished 1 and 2 earlier this year. It still looked great, played great and was amazing. Fuck this need of remastering every game released.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
If it's got the faggy anime style, forget it. I played Actraiser 1 on original SNES hardware near its initial release and enjoyed it very much. I think it was the first thing I ever played with town-building mechanics. However, during my playthrough I got into the habit of using my accumulated power-ups to defeat end-level bosses, so when I reached the end game where you had to re-fight all the game's bosses, one right after the other, I was helpless because I didn't have any of those powerups provided earlier and I didn't hone any type of actual fighting skill so I had to quit.

The end of game boss rush is awesome IMO. Fantastically balanced.

I was lucky though, I bought the Japanese copy on import so didn't even know how to use the powers properly. It wasn't until after I got to the end of game boss rush that I figured out how to use the magic.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I know there's zero chance of that, but the Quintet game I'd most like to see a remake of is Granstream Saga.

I mean, without sounding like a graphics whore, the bare minimum I'd like to have are.... you know.... faces

the-granstream-saga-02.png

Otherwise Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia and even Soul Blazer are perfectly playable today.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Probably the Star magic that rains little fire balls down from the sky. Using it like 2 or 3 times kills pretty much every boss but you really only need to use it once and then clean up the boss with your sword.

So you still had magic in that final gauntlet of all the re-visited bosses at the end? I thought I had used up all my magic during the course of my playthrough and had to fight the bosses at the conclusion without any magic attacks. It was many years ago... I was young, dumb and full of thumb up my ass.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
So you still had magic in that final gauntlet of all the re-visited bosses at the end? I thought I had used up all my magic during the course of my playthrough and had to fight the bosses at the conclusion without any magic attacks. It was many years ago... I was young, dumb and full of thumb up my ass.
Magic comes back anytime you enter the sky palace so you should start the gauntlet with full magic. A lot of the bosses can be beaten without taking damage if you know their patterns (maybe all but I'm not that good) so you only really need to use magic on a few bosses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Magic comes back anytime you enter the sky palace so you should start the gauntlet with full magic. A lot of the bosses can be beaten without taking damage if you know their patterns (maybe all but I'm not that good) so you only really need to use magic on a few bosses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

haha, well that's where I went wrong... very very wrong - I didn't know at the time you could enter a certain place or structure and replenish all your magic. I think I was use to games like certain RPGs on my C64 (which I actually owned before my Super Nintendo console) where it was hard to miss certain things like fountains or whatever that replenished health/mana.

Played it for a bit and, apart from the glorious remixed BGM, hated it. I think the rendered sprites look fucking awful and there's something about the animation that I don't like, either.

I love the original game. I hope someone patches the SNES ROM with this new soundtrack via MSU-1.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Does anyone remember the godawfull Actraiser clone Solseraph from a year back or so? This is Solseraph 2 . Better than Solseraph in every single way, and probably fairly rated as an adequate game, but far from Actraiser and so similar to Solseraph in style I wonder if it is the same team somehow.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So I got to what I assume is the last or second to last tower defense mission in Bloodpool (second town for me). A giant dragon comes out and wrecks all my towers at the start long before I can even get it down to half health. No idea what I'm supposed to do and I don't care because I didn't sign up for this shit. I wanted Actraiser. Fuck this game.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
So I got to what I assume is the last or second to last tower defense mission in Bloodpool (second town for me). A giant dragon comes out and wrecks all my towers at the start long before I can even get it down to half health. No idea what I'm supposed to do and I don't care because I didn't sign up for this shit. I wanted Actraiser. Fuck this game.

you only have to kill it, so look where it spawns and put towers there. very confusing and hard I know. Philotas and Magic bitch can kill all trhe enemies from other directions.

>skill

you mean you didnt learn the one thing you needed to do to cheese the boss and win

No, every boss has a cheese strat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom