Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Actually popular RPGs that have 2D graphics and came out later than 2010

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Crosscode immediatly comes to mind. Some odd mashup of Zelda and Star Ocean made in Germany that has reached ridiculous success for how small the development studio is.

Also there are the easy answers like Terraria and the very recent Loop Hero.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The Banner Saga games. The first one, at least, was reasonably popular.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
More than you can fucking count, do you live under a rock?

Or do you define popular as "AAA dozens of millions of units sold"?

Terraria is hugely popular 2D Minecraft.
I guess Rimworld has RPG elements, and it's also hugely popular.
Stardew Valley, same. Light RPG elements, hugely popular.
Underrail is pretty popular within the RPG hobbyist sphere, Sseth made a video about it on youtube and its sales skyrocketed after that.
Pillars of Eternity is somewhat popular, even though many people think it sucked (because it does).
The Shadowrun Returns games were popular too.
Battle Brothers is fairly popular.
Banner Saga was a pretty popular game, known even in the mainstream.
Darkest Dungeon is also widely known in the mainstream.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Are you doing market research for your game?

Do you count all the Baldur's Gate clones in P:KM, Pillars of Eternity 1&2, Disco whatever etc. that are essentially 2D and were somewhat reasonably popular as RPGs go?

Darkest Dungeon springs to mind, if we count that as an RPG? Also Dragon Crown if again we count that as an RPG?

Dodo1610

Arcane
The closest thing to 2D AAA CRPG we got since then were the South Park RPGs.

Besides that literally, every indie Action RPG from 2011's Bastion to today has some kind of retro 2D graphics.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Is Battle Brothers popular?
It's popular in the same way that Underrail is popular, in that it's largely unknown by normies, but the autists will play it (and discuss it) religiously...
So I guess the answer is no. It's not.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Salt & Sanctuary is essentially a 2D interpretation of Demon's/Dark Souls, and therefore only marginally an RPG, but it did enjoy a considerable amount of commercial success and was released in 2016.

H3P1aVd.png

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, although disregarded by the hoi polloi, is popular among the hearts of prestigious Codexers, indisputably an RPG, and released in 2017.

kA3m1cp.png

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Maybe go with review count for really popular? Everything around 500 reviews should at least sold 10000 copies on Steam.
Exiled Kingdoms, Sword of the Starts: The Pit. If you only consider wildly successful like over 10k reviews - Undertale, Darkest Dungeon, Stoneshard.
Dunno which of these count as true rpgs though

Drowed

Arcane
Popular is a somewhat complicated definition for the kind of thing you are asking for. 2D RPGs are, by definition, a niche. So obviously they will have a relative popularity. Also, it depends on how literal you are being when you talk about "2D graphics". But, here's some games, including action RPGs:

The real "BIG" ones (AKA, RPG fans who frequent the forum know at least the name):
  • Underrail
  • Avadon 1, 2 , 3, and Queen's Wish: The Conqueror (anything Vogel did last decade)
  • Tyranny / Pillars 1 and 2 / Torment / Pathfinder (depending on your definition of "2D")
  • Bastion, Transistor and Hades
  • Telepath Tactics
  • Tales of Maj’Eyal
  • Shadowrun (3 games)
  • Serpent in the Staglands
  • Stardew Valley
  • Disco Elysium
  • Darkest Dungeons
  • ADOM (Steam Version)
  • Undertale

The "relatively famous within their respective niches", but maybe not really:
  • Voidspire Tactics / Alvora Tactics / Horizon's Gate
  • The Tenth Line
  • Sword of the Stars: The Pit
  • Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius
  • Stranger of Sword City
  • Stone Shard (in EA)
  • Star Traders: Frontiers
  • Star Story: The Horizon Escape
  • Shattered Planet
  • Shadows of Adam
  • Secrets of Grindea (in EA for... like... 8 years?)
  • SaGa Frontier Remastered (and other Square remakes)
  • The Quest
  • Overfall
  • NEO Scavenger
  • Moonlighter
  • Monster Sanctuary
  • Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
  • Lords of Xulima
  • Long Gone Days
  • Immortal Planet
  • ICY: Frostbite Edition
  • Hellenica
  • Halfway
  • Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander
  • Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
  • Dungeons of Dredmor
  • Dungeonmans
  • Dead In Vinland
  • DEX
  • CrossCode
  • Cosmic Star Heroine
  • Citizens of Earth
  • Child of Light
  • Bug Fables (kinda but not really)
  • Bastard Bonds
  • Banner Saga 1, 2 and 3
  • Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan
  • AntharioN

Last edited:

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Stardew Valley

Stardew Valley sold over 10 million copies. For comparison: Skyrim has like 30-50 million copies (30 million was the last number I know of, and this is 5 years ago). Stardew Valley is like the definition of success.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stardew Valley

Stardew Valley sold over 10 million copies. For comparison: Skyrim has like 30-50 million copies (30 million was the last number I know of, and this is 5 years ago). Stardew Valley is like the definition of success.
Yeah, funny to think that Serpent of the Staglands (at most 50K copies sold) would be somehow more known than Stardew Valley. It is likely quite close to the top of the list, actually.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane

You are right, actually it is because it is 3 in the morning here and I made a list of all the RPGs I remember and manually picked up the most famous ones later to put on the top list, I just forgot to change the position because I didn't see it. Banner Saga also sold comparably well I think, but since I'm not sure, I left it on the bottom list.

QUICK EDIT: I remember also reading that Secrets of Grindea would have sold about half a million copies which, for the genre, is quite a lot. But I don't have the source of that either.

Last edited:

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
happens, been there often haha - I'm just always way too interested in sales numbers. I see it on a regular that the view on sales numbers is heavily distorted by the forums/subreddits/social media one frequents. Underrail for example almost certainly sold less than Stoneshard - but it isn't nearly as often mentioned here and I don't think people would believe this right away

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom