Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Showing disgusting ads is a good way to get our money, am I right, DarkUnderlord ?

Yurk.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
If you're referring to a specific problematic ad please follow the steps in the first post to report it.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Recently when I log in using firefox a pop-up window opens and McAfee signals that a trojan horse has been quarantined, the pop-up is about aquarium screensavers or something like that.

EG

Nullified
Something Flash on this site regularly crashed the Flash plugin, triggering a rather happy blue screen. Killed flash, problem solved (and I'm told I bought someone a nice boat).

No way to tell what's causing it, of course.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Recently when I log in using firefox a pop-up window opens and McAfee signals that a trojan horse has been quarantined, the pop-up is about aquarium screensavers or something like that.

I expect a false positive.

Something Flash on this site regularly crashed the Flash plugin, triggering a rather happy blue screen. Killed flash, problem solved (and I'm told I bought someone a nice boat).

No way to tell what's causing it, of course.

No way to fix it if we can't figure out what's causing it either, unfortunately.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hi. I clicked on Bleach Online banner ad and it linked to a page with a woman with jiggling boobs. She is also making suggestive eyes at me. I don't think this is appropriate use of advertising space @codex. Is there a way that I can load different banner ads? Thx.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Hi. I clicked on Bleach Online banner ad and it linked to a page with a woman with jiggling boobs. She is also making suggestive eyes at me. I don't think this is appropriate use of advertising space @codex. Is there a way that I can load different banner ads? Thx.

Reloading the page usually helps.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You should sue the advert for triggering you.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'm getting video ads that won't fucking mute. I can lower the volume, but the mute button does nothing.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Damn, too little, too late. At the moment, all I'm getting is static images about anime. Sorry...

The advertisements were TV spots for cars, and then that stupid HEALTH NEWS NOW or whatever, which I'm sure at least some other people get. I could lower the volume by fifths, but the slider didn't go down to zero. The mute button would mute the audio for a fraction of a second, and then go back to regular volume. I hope that gives some indication of something.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Not really, no - first I need to know exactly which ad spot this is appearing in and having a screenshot takes all the guesswork out of that.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I only saw it once. Just saying so people won't think sexbad is insane or his PC is infected.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It happened to me again. This time I can be a bit more specific about them. All of the ads I have trouble with are associated with that "Health Reporter Minute" video series, or something. The odd thing is that these videos are not advertisements themselves, as they don't push any commercial agenda. They just give you health tips like "eat fruits and veggies," and when I click on them, they only pause, rather than linking me to something else.
(They look like this:)
WJ2q8Hw.jpg

But they have ads that play between the health tip videos, and from what I can tell, whether or not the mute functions properly is entirely random. I saw one advertisement twice, and the first time, it would play sound, and the second, it would automatically mute. It was this ad for Olay. I didn't find what it linked to, because I only remembered later that I was supposed to get the target URL, but here is a still shot:
TOWjcfl.jpg

Other advertisements that played for this program follow. I don't remember which ones played unmutable audio and which ones didn't, but as I said, I think it's random. It's probably a fault with the video player used by whichever company pushes these ads for the shitty health program. Some of these URLs are filled with jargon that may provide clues regarding the circumstances you're looking for, Taluntain.

Boeing:
http://www.buildsomethingbetter.com/?cm_mmc=PreRoll-_-BSB-_-YuMe-_-YuMe Custom Channel :15 Pre Roll - Overall 1x1&utm_source=YuMe&utm_medium=PreRoll&utm_content=1x1&utm_campaign=BSB#!/

Connecticut Lottery:
https://www.luckyct.org/

Febreze:
zpBQhB0.jpg

http://www.febreze.com/en-US/nosebl...rvedopen&utm_medium=video&utm_campaign=fga3-h

Mr. Clean:
wFxXYBB.jpg

https://www.mrclean.com/cleanbook?l...tm_medium=mobile&utm_campaign=mcmagiceraser-h

Pampers:
F8FVMDO.jpg

http://www.pampers.com/new-baby-dia...rvedopen&utm_medium=video&utm_campaign=pmq6-h

Covergirl:
WkjhFlU.jpg

http://www.covergirl.com/?utm_source=asci-unreservedopen&utm_medium=video&utm_campaign=laaa-h

Dawn:
ImtJ4LI.jpg

http://dawn-dish.com/us/dawn/saving...rvedopen&utm_medium=video&utm_campaign=dng1-h

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Now that's what I call a detailed report... the problem is that it's a series of different ones but hopefully they'll be under the same category.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
No, you won't.

:evillaugh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom