Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Taluntain. You've outdone yourself. I LOVE the Homeland Security ads encouraging patriots to report suspicious activity to their friendly neighborhood counter-intelligence agents.

You sir are the most red-blooded of Americans. I salute you for your efforts to protect freedom and liberty. You truly deserve some sort of congressional medal.

Mech

Cipher
Omg fix your shit ads. Keep getting ones that take the focus away from the reply window so I can't even type. (On a mobile device). I had to type this in a different app and then copy and paste it quickly to even be able to post this. Started in the last day or two. Stupid ass pops up about how my chrome needs update and I should call a toll free number for a FREE PC SCAN.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
How about being a little more descriptive, possibly including a screenshot? Does the ad not have a close button or doesn't it work or what?

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
ep829yj.jpg

What is this shit? I'm not even Russian.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't understand. Is it funny?
I fully expect to be trying to wipe my shit-covered asshole one day and touch a holographic ad by accident and having to watch a 2 minute clip with a dead Mr. Bean before continuing with wiping.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I don't understand. Is it funny?
I fully expect to be trying to wipe my shit-covered asshole one day and touch a holographic ad by accident and having to watch a 2 minute clip with a dead Mr. Bean before continuing with wiping.

Unless anyone else is seeing that anomaly (if you are, post here), it must be due to something on your end, either your browser or some addon doing that. I've never seen something like that happen yet.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
As long as it's just that one I won't bother hunting it down since alerts shouldn't be obstructed on any other page but the forum index... and there's a very low chance of getting the same ad there if you refresh.

DramaticPopcorn

So, for how long have you been partnered with these cunts that provide fullscreen ads for xenforo... you cunts?
Kinda obnoxious, don't you think?

DramaticPopcorn

Ads are still geo-targeted so we don't know what you're seeing. Post a screenshot.
I was over at my friends' house when I posted that, whenever I'd open any other thread the page background would turn black (as opposed to default gray) and show an ad banner in the middle of the screen with a counter in the top right corner saying you have 20 seconds before you can skip the ad.

Closing the tab and re-opening it would do the trick. I cannot replicate it on my home PC even in incognito mode with all extensions turned off. Maybe the problem is with his PC.
P.S.: I was using chrome

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
By default we don't have any kind of takeover ads like that in place to my knowledge so it could be something on his end. Though they could also be just part of a single campaign, so unlikely to be seen often.

Tinkerer

Novice
I got two of pop-over ads on mobile during the last week that immediately redirect me to an ad site upon loading a forum page, i.e. without clicking/tapping on anything (the Larian forum in this case). I got the ads while not being logged in.

Screenshot (blacked out part is my ISP name, "spelling" is original):
PayFaLd.png

Tapping "close" just continues loading the ad site. The browser's back button returns me to the site I visited before the codex in that tab, rather than to the codex itself.

Target url (XXXXXX is my ISP name):
Code:
http://ah1.en.jambalaya.com-wonderful-promotional-gadget.trade/h1-v379-en-c/index.html?isp=XXXXXX&model=iPod%20Touch&voluumdata=BASE64dmlkLi4wMDAwMDAwMy1mYjgxLTRiOGItODAwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDBfX3ZwaWQuLjU0YzNjODAwLWMyODMtMTFlNi04NmZiLTM1Y2U4YzU2NDIzY19fY2FpZC4uYjMwZmFjZGYtZWRiMC00NGY2LWJlOTctYTU3NjNiMjc1N2U2X19ydC4uREpfX2xpZC4uYzZkZjA4MzEtNTA2ZC00OWFkLThkNmQtYTA1Nzk1ZWM2NTYxX19vaWQxLi45ZGJiY2MzYS03YjUzLTRmZTctYTJjYi05OTM5ZjAwYjRkNDJfX3ZhcjEuLjEzMDE2MzE5Nl9fdmFyMi4ucnBnY29kZXhcLlxjb21fX3JkLi5fX2FpZC4uX19hYi4uX19zaWQuLg&siteid=130163196&sitedomain=rpgcodex.com&clickid=wSHGC56QPLPUD5R1H2KS0G2U

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Thanks for the report, I've added that domain to the list of blocked ones, but I'm not sure if the ad provider is the correct one since I couldn't find the actual ad in the system. If you're still seeing it after a couple of hours and clearing of your cache, please let me know and I'll dig deeper.

Tinkerer

Novice
I has been selected as winner again :/

E04YJ3u.png

URL:
Code:
http://ah1.en.jambalaya.com-wonderful-promotional-gadget.trade/h1-v379-en-c/index.html?isp=>ISP-NAME>&model=iPod%20Touch&<IP-ADDRESS>voluumdata=BASE64dmlkLi4wMDAwMDAwNi01NjZjLTRhNzItODAwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDBfX3ZwaWQuLjgwMGNiODAwLWNiOWQtMTFlNi04ZTdjLTFkZGY2YTQ0MzkxNF9fY2FpZC4uYjMwZmFjZGYtZWRiMC00NGY2LWJlOTctYTU3NjNiMjc1N2U2X19ydC4uRF9fbGlkLi5jNmRmMDgzMS01MDZkLTQ5YWQtOGQ2ZC1hMDU3OTVlYzY1NjFfX29pZDEuLjlkYmJjYzNhLTdiNTMtNGZlNy1hMmNiLTk5MzlmMDBiNGQ0Ml9fdmFyMS4uMTMwMTYzMTk2X192YXIyLi5ycGdjb2RleFwuXGNvbV9fcmQuLl9fYWlkLi5fX2FiLi5fX3NpZC4u&siteid=130163196&sitedomain=rpgcodex.com&clickid=w165K878S2F79R32193E05UM

This time I first got a Taptalk pop-up ad which I successfully cancelled. Then, after scrolling down, I got the above thing again.

Tinkerer

Novice
Another one this morning (also after first dismissing a Tapatalk pop-up ad; maybe it's related):
Code:
http://ah1.en.beesknees.com-come-get-your-reward.pw/h1-v379-en-c/index.html?isp=<ISP-NAME>&model=iPod%20Touch&<IP-ADDRESS>&voluumdata=BASE64dmlkLi4wMDAwMDAwMi0xNGMxLTQ2NTctODAwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDBfX3ZwaWQuLjE1NDE5ODAwLWNjMDItMTFlNi04OGNiLTM4NWY4N2JmNzdjMV9fY2FpZC4uYjMwZmFjZGYtZWRiMC00NGY2LWJlOTctYTU3NjNiMjc1N2U2X19ydC4uREpfX2xpZC4uNjIyZDM1ZjUtNjdlNC00YjAzLTg0NzQtNDgwY2EwZTAyMmE5X19vaWQxLi5kNTU1YzJjYS0wNGY2LTRhMWYtYmIzMi1kNWFjNTA2OTA0Y2JfX3ZhcjEuLjEzMDE2MzE5Nl9fdmFyMi4ucnBnY29kZXhcLlxjb21fX3JkLi5fX2FpZC4uX19hYi4uX19zaWQuLg&siteid=130163196&sitedomain=rpgcodex.com&clickid=w1UTUR3UBOPIH74211MU5NE2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom