Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
So this is the same as before, the Close link doesn't work? What about tapping outside of the ad box?

Tinkerer

Novice
So this is the same as before, the Close link doesn't work?
Indeed. Just tried again to make sure and got again another one after cancelling the Tapatalk pop-up ad:
Code:
http://ah1.en.gunship3d.com-get-your-lucky-gadget.tech/h1-v379-en-c/index.html?isp=<ISP-Name>&model=iPod%20Touch&<IP-ADDRESS>&voluumdata=BASE64dmlkLi4wMDAwMDAwMi00ZjZiLTQxNjAtODAwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDBfX3ZwaWQuLmFhNzY3ODAwLWNjNjYtMTFlNi04OGQzLTg4MTAwNzIwOTEyMF9fY2FpZC4uYjMwZmFjZGYtZWRiMC00NGY2LWJlOTctYTU3NjNiMjc1N2U2X19ydC4uRF9fbGlkLi5iNWIwMThjMy1kMzkwLTQ1YjktODg5OC02MjJiMWQwNzBjYWNfX29pZDEuLjlkYmJjYzNhLTdiNTMtNGZlNy1hMmNiLTk5MzlmMDBiNGQ0Ml9fdmFyMS4uMTMwMTYzMTk2X192YXIyLi5ycGdjb2RleFwuXGNvbV9fcmQuLl9fYWlkLi5fX2FiLi5fX3NpZC4u&siteid=130163196&sitedomain=rpgcodex.com&clickid=wCJAHB4IGPIQPJ42142L7VAV

What happens is that the pop-up ad shows with the RPGCodex forum in the background, and as soon as you click "close" it shows the ad website instead. FWIW, I had just cleaned all website data (cookies, cache, local storage) before this last attempt and went straight to the Larian forum (via the browser history). Afterwards, these were the domains for which data was stored:
  • bonus-gifts.website
  • wholeallow.website
  • rogcodex.net
  • yabidos.com
  • smaato.net
  • ajax.googleapis.com
  • cpmstar.com
  • exponential.com
  • q1mediahydraplatform.com
  • viglink.com
  • adstuna.com
  • cpx.to
  • tribalfusion.com
  • sorcerers.net
  • bootstrapcdn.com
  • com-get-your-lucky-gadget.tech
  • criteo.com
  • google-analytics.com

Quite a catch!

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That doesn't actually help as it lists every site involved in the process in any way (related to the ads or not), but yeah. Did you try tapping outside of the ad box?

Anyway, I'm going to check with the other advertising provider that I suspect this could be coming from.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I've reported it yesterday but no response so far, hopefully we'll get it sorted out.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
There's this add that in my phone takes up basically the whole post area, squeezing the text to a thin vertical layer. Shouldnt it be above or below the text? It happens at the first post in the page and makes them unreadable.

EDIT:BTW this happens only in landscape mode

UV5V5Ap.jpg

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The code's actually the same for desktops and mobiles there; the ads are right-aligned to the text which works fine for desktops. But it can look off on mobiles where the space is limited and would also depend on how your browser handles it etc. I'll check if we can just push the text below the ad for mobiles.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I think that should be it, all the ad banner spots should be responsive now. Everyone with a mobile, check and screenshot if you spot any issues.

Shatterbrain

Novice
Floated banner ad footer fucks up pinch zoom on mobile. When it becomes visible again after you let go, the screen snaps back to the ads width.

Shatterbrain

Novice
I could, but then I'd have to risk clicking it every time I changed pages. Of course, that's probably the idea.
:betrayed:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Well no, any kind of ads like that are normally cookied to show only once every X hours. If you're blocking cookies/preventing scripts from running or something like that though, then you're preventing it from working properly.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I don't know if you have the data but if I hypothetically were to browse this site every other day for a year without an adblocker how much would I bring in?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That's really impossible to determine with any degree of accuracy as it would also depend on the number of pages viewed in that time, whether it was site or forum pages, the geographical location of the user, higher/lower paying ad campaigns etc. The ad-free donation options are what we're going with with relatively inexpensive $25 for a year of ad-free access, which gets progressively cheaper the more years you add.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Kinda the answer I expected. I'll probably donate 10 bucks some time in the future and keep adblocking.

mushaden

Scholar
Been having problem for a while now—the forums only load on my phone. Tried three browsers on my pc but nothing works, also tried deleting cookies. I can get the twitter sidebar and ads but not much else

mushaden

Scholar
I meant the forum sidebar above the twitter sidebar doesn’t load. The actual forums don’t load right either. Browsers are opera, ie, and firefox

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That doesn't make any sense. Do you have any addons like noscript or adblockers or whatever installed? Try accessing the forums with them disabled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom