Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Adam Brennecke Talks Project Eternity at Sorcerer's Place

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Adam Brennecke; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

Marceror from Sorcerer's Place had the opportunity to visit the Obsidian Entertainment HQ in Irvine, California, to chat to Adam Brennecke, Project Director on Project Eternity. Have a few tidbits:

[Marceror] We were very spoiled during Kickstarter with the daily information updates. Do you have a sense as to how regularly progress updates will be given to the community going forward? It’s great that you have so much freedom to interact and share with the fans, but I’m sure there’s a point where too much sharing might detract from productivity. How will you find the right balance?

[Adam] We’d like to do updates as often as possible. We are still working this out, but I’d at least like to provide updates to the fans on a weekly basis, perhaps bi-weekly. We love the freedom that we have with this project to share with the fans and get their feedback. I’m looking a lot at how Double Fine Adventure (another recently successful Kickstarter project) is handling this. I like their format and will probably do something similar. In fact, Josh (Sawyer) is currently working on an update that will be shared soon. We want to continue to keep in touch with the fans, and let them know what’s going on. We actually enjoy it.

[Marceror] Is there an ETA on when approximately you'll be sending out the item templates for the $1000 tier donors? How much info are we going to get alongside, since it's hard to design any item without the knowledge of the game mechanics?

[Adam]It will probably be around the time when we really get a good basis for the rules system. Before then it will be hard to know exactly what sorts of features these items will be able to have. So it’s going to be at least several months. We’ll let everyone know when we’re getting closer to that point.

[Marceror] Pathfinding... the bane of Infinity Engine games. How are you going to make it (infinitely) better in Project Eternity?

[Adam] Unity’s pathfinding is a lot better [than that of the Infinity Engine]. We’ve come a long way since 1998 in terms of computational power on computers. Doing faster and better pathfinding is something that we’re looking forward to. Right now we’re experimenting with what feels right. We’re figuring out how characters can interact with each other. If one character is blocking another’s way, can they push each other out of the way, do they side step, can they share the same space? Does it feel right if they do that? That’s the kind of experimenting that we’re working on right now.

[Marceror] Are you going for a more open feel to the game (ala Baldur’s Gate 1) or will it be more like Baldur’s Gate 2, where you basically couldn't turn around without bumping into a quest of some sort?

[Adam] We were just talking about this on Wednesday. We definitely want to have wilderness areas like in Baldur’s Gate 1. We want to encourage exploration, but it’s definitely not going to be as aimless it was in Baldur’s Gate 1, or as tedious. We want to make fewer areas, but have more content in them, and make them a bit more focused.

[Marceror] I know this is early, but do you think we’ll need a recommend button [i.e., recommend a character build at character creation] in Project Eternity?

[Adam] I don’t know. We’ll see how it turns out. We’re thinking that since we’re not using DnD we’re going to have to explain our rules a lot more clearly. So if you’re presented with a list of like 100 feats right off the bat, you won’t be overwhelmed.

[Marceror] Will there be that same level of depth, where there are a massive number of feats and other options available for a player to choose from?

[Adam] Oh yeah.​

To read the interview in full, click here.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

:yeah:

^ Top  
  3. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Ha!

^ Top  
  4. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Man, I hope they don't go that route. Shades of Dungeon Siege flash in my mind! That would be a major :decline: as far as combat goes!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Psychic fantasy world detective. Cool.
    Some of my favorite quests are the more inquiring ones. BG2 for instance had the docks murder mystery and that cabin in the woods thingy.

^ Top  
  6. Jedi Exile Arcanum Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That's what worries me too. How are they going to fill all those 15 levels with content? And what kind of content will it be? An endless trash mobs?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Don't worry, there will hopefully be an emotionally engaging damsel to rescue on each level. Romanceable of course.

^ Top  
  8. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Eberron?
    It's like Tim Cain is dancing around obsidians with shamanistic tools trying to put in as many guns, steampunk, victorian, gnome-psionics and such in generic fantasy game and they have to feed him with something :?

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  9. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Designing and populating a dungeon is one thing, even for one of such size. But what's really interesting is how are they going to balance it according to the rest of the game world. According to official info the dungeon will be optional. However they need to consider:
    a) The amount of XP the party will receive. How will they tackle this? Will there be level scaling in the game to mitigate the effects of an overpowered party who has completed half of the dungeon and got a fair share of extra XP? Even considering that you will only receive XP per completed objective (for instance once per level cleared) that is still going to be an important boost in power.
    b) The loot that can be found inside. It's safe to assume that one of the reasons the player will want to explore is to find loot, so there HAS to be some decent stuff hidden inside, otherwise why bother exploring it?This will again give the party an extra boost in power level. How good will the loot be? So good that it will make the loot which can be found during the course of the normal campaign obsolete, or will it not be worth bothering with?

I'm really curious how they are going to handle this. In my opinion they should merge the dungeon and the extra city into one. I know it's kinda 'cheating' but honestly they don't have all the time in the world to do this. I mean, sure, they can and will probably postpone the thing an extra 6 months (and I'm sure no one would mind it if that would mean having a better game), but they can't push the release date indefinitely since each additional month comes with extra expenses in the forms of wages. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Does anyone know the development time and budget of Arcanum? That was a hugely ambitious game that ended up having some great ideas but with terrible exectution and the end result was a mixed bag, for me and for others as well I am sure. I forsee PE being another Arcanum and Gothic 3. A very, very rough gem that's going to be an aquired taste for most fans.

^ Top  
  10. LeStryfe79 Fake Newsman Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So just so I'm straight here, Marceror was the infamous stalker, right?

:incline:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yep.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Xp is apparently based on goals not kills.

It's an excellent point. But still I believe a narrative reason can be found. Think of the Diablo 2 tower of the countess (??) in act one. One can think of weaving a good story(ies) and quest (s) that make you explore the dungeon. But of course loot as you say it, will be the chief motivator.

I sincerely hope they do not do the merging. It IS cheating no matter how you cut it.

^ Top  
  13. jagged-jimmy Prophet

jagged-jimmy
    Codex 2012
    Just make lower level harder, so the party has to come back later. Or make doors/portals activate by certain items/rituals found in the world. Boost from XP or loot is not a bad thing IMO. Any optional content in a big game world without level scaling is a boost for some other content. Either you want same shit everywhere (i.e. level scaling) or you have to accept that some quest or encounter might be easier, if found last/later.

^ Top  
  14. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    someone make an emote out of this

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jack █▓▒░ Patron

Jack
    [​IMG]
    Edit:
    :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  16. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    :love:

^ Top  
  17. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. The Great Deceiver Trickster Patron

The Great Deceiver
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    [Marceror] It would be awesome if this engine became the catalyst for a whole new set of CRPGs that are built using the 2D isometric model.

[Adam] That’s what we’re hoping for. We really want to see where we can take this.

:kfc:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    From the makers of the Infinity Engine games... presenting... the Unity Engine games. Like before, but... you know... better.

^ Top  
  20. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    A shame he didn't ask anything about on what the budget would allow for in terms of game size.
    But I'm guessing he would evade that question anyway. They don't know it and will do their best.

I hope they make the dungeon levels interesting with NPCs and some quests too, instead of a kill everything that moves.

AFAIK, the latest updated version of the Nua dungeon concept:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Marceror even made an account here to state he was not a crazy stalker. Something only a crazy stalker would do.

edit: I do like to see SP get some OC. I have a soft spot in my heart for that site.

edit2: just finished:
    I'm sure.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Mother Russia Andhaira Dumbfuck Queued

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    Codex 2013
    Good points but consider that the extra dungeon in Tales of the Sword Coast and Watchers Keep from Throne of Bhaal could be accessed at any time after the expansions were installed, yet did not really affect the main game balance. Yes they made your party a bit more powerful, but the end game encounters were still a challenge.

So basically, if this dungeon allows your party to go up 2-3 levels, it's no big deal. Same with items, sure there may be powerful items, but I doubt you will find a Holy Avenger type item every level.

By the way, what is the level cap on this game supposed to be? 6 levels only, as in Baldurs Gate, or can you go upto almost 20 levels as in Icewind Dale?

^ Top  
  23. Marceror Novice

Marceror
    Thanks for the coverage of this interview. It's nice to see that the community seems to find it helpful/informative.

Actually, I created my account here to clarify some details about my Project Eternity Information Guide (shameless plug). It's ALL about the game for me. If you happen to view me as some sort of crazed stalker, I'm not going to lift a finger to try and dissuade you from such an opinion. The opinions of random strangers about me on the internet mean exactly nil.

^ Top  
  24. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Lighten up dude, you sound like an angry stalker.

^ Top  
  25. Diablo169 Arcane

Diablo169
    Slight critique on your guide, It hasnt been stated anywhere that the characters introduced in the concept art are companions. All Obsidian said is that they are important to the plot.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.