Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adventure game recommendations for a newbie? (still oldfag PC nerd)

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is that true of QFG? It’s not my recollection.

It’s definitely true for Trial by Fire, and I’m almost positive it’s the case for both versions of QFG1, although it might not be the case for the EGA version; it’s been a while since I played it. Wages of War and Shadows of Darkness both do not have this as far as I know, but they both have multiple game-breaking bugs that prevent them from being completeable. Dragon’s Breath I’m not sure about. I haven’t played it in at least a decade, and I don’t really ever plan to play through it again unless my son really wants to.
But yes, you’re correct that QFG is largely exempt from this phenomenon largely due to RPG hybrid elements. It’s also why imo QFG stands as the best franchise from Sierra (although I do still love Gabriel Knight and, especially, Laura Bow).
My memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but I think QFG4 had some sort of day range limitation on the first appearance of the Domovoi and if you missed it, you never saw him at all. And I believe you needed something or other from him to complete the game, possibly something involving the little girl?

DraQ

Arcane
I now wonder if Ghost of a Tale can be classed as stealth-adventure hybrid.
It's not too challenging, has RPG elements but they are kind of auxiliary and it's more exploration and dialogue centric, than puzzle oriented, so it kind of misses the classical adventure elements.
Still highly recommended, for the writing and storytelling.
Looks pretty gorgeous too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom