Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

wishbonetail

Learned

Neuromancer

Augur
Really enjoyed the graphics of Secret Files: Tunguska.
Is the game any good?
It's ok.
You can play it, but it certainly isn't a must.

Unfortunately, the graphics are the best part of the game.
Some of the puzzles didn't make much sense. And there is some serious pixel hunting in there - so the Hotspot cheat button is kind of necessary in some scenes, if you aren't lucky.

They also didn't know where to go with the story. It's starts kind of interesting with the Tunguska incident, but then meanders into Russian mafia, a secret cult etc.
The original ending didn't resolve most of the story arcs. Lots of people complained, so the developer changed the ending completely and even rendered a new ending video that was distributed via a patch for free.
Unfortunately, the new ending didn't resolve anything either and even raised more questions...

And the whole story, questions and endings are completely ignored in Tunguska 2 - at least in the intro sequence.
I must admit, that I haven't completed the second game. So it might be, that the issues are dealt with later in the game - but I doubt it.

TLDR:
If you can get the first game cheap and like the graphics: You can give it a try.
Just don't expect too much from the story and the puzzles.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never played it past the first screen or so back in the day - but the Amiga game Future Wars by the French company Delphine (of Flashbasck and Another World fame) and produced by Interplay looks very nice.

future-wars.png

futurewars.jpg

729074-1220469356_00.png

Curratum

Modern 3D-rendered graphics, I'd say Book of Unwritten Tales 1/2.

For 2D and pixel-art style things, probably ummm... I can't fucking separate the games and moods and the graphics in my head. I want to say Simon the Sorcerer 1, but I know that's just because it was my favorite thing as a kid. Probably Quest for Glory 1 VGA, or maybe Sam and Max.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
When I read the thread title I immediately thought of Loom, Legend of Kyrandia 2 and Space Quest 4... but they've already been covered, so I don't have to dig up the images.

So I'm good. :smug:

Really enjoyed the graphics of Secret Files: Tunguska.
Is the game any good?
It's ok.
You can play it, but it certainly isn't a must.

Unfortunately, the graphics are the best part of the game.
Some of the puzzles didn't make much sense. And there is some serious pixel hunting in there - so the Hotspot cheat button is kind of necessary in some scenes, if you aren't lucky.

They also didn't know where to go with the story. It's starts kind of interesting with the Tunguska incident, but then meanders into Russian mafia, a secret cult etc.
The original ending didn't resolve most of the story arcs. Lots of people complained, so the developer changed the ending completely and even rendered a new ending video that was distributed via a patch for free.
Unfortunately, the new ending didn't resolve anything either and even raised more questions...

And the whole story, questions and endings are completely ignored in Tunguska 2 - at least in the intro sequence.
I must admit, that I haven't completed the second game. So it might be, that the issues are dealt with later in the game - but I doubt it.

TLDR:
If you can get the first game cheap and like the graphics: You can give it a try.
Just don't expect too much from the story and the puzzles.
God yeah, Tunguska had some seriously fucked up puzzles. And while the first was already utterly bizarre (I still try to forget that scene with the cat and the cellphone...), Tunguska 2 completely went off the rails (that fruit thing with the fireworks was too much). Absolutely idiotic puzzle design, of the kind that really infuriates me, so I only finished part 1. But it does look nice, I do agree.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom