Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review AdventureDex: Primordia vs Tormentum - Dark Sorrow: Which is Better and Why?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: OhNoo! Studio; Primordia; Tormentum - Dark Sorrow; Which is Better and Why?; Wormwood Studios

Would you like to go on an adventure? We decide to take a look at two adventure games: Primordia, the two year old creation from Wormwood Studios, and Tormentum - Dark Sorrow, the as yet unreleased adventure from OhNoo! Studios:

Primordia starts off with your character (a robot), and your robotic companion, being attacked by another rather seemingly simple-minded robot which takes your power core. It all snowballs from there. Part of Primordia's charm is that it doesn't give much away either in the way of its story up-front. In order to understand what's going on, you must explore and solve puzzles. With each puzzle revealing a small piece of the larger puzzle that drives you through-out the game: Who am I, and what am I doing here? And even, what happened in this place?

[...] Tormentum, sadly, just doesn't have the same drive. You start off captured in prison. You escape... and... keep escaping... or something... It "makes sense" in the end but while Primordia's world has you wanting to know what happened, Tormentum just never really bothers. There are no hints dropped or clues to be found. No signs you can look at and think "That's actually a number... not a name." or "I wonder what that means?". In fact, if anything, Tormentum down-right sins when it comes to Adventure gaming.

It gives the puzzle away.​

Read more!: AdventureDex: Primordia vs Tormentum - Dark Sorrow: Which is Better and Why?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Cool, about time MRY's game got some spotlight here. Shame about Tormentum, looking at screenshots the graphics and atmosphere look really cool, but that alone doesn't make a game. :/

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Nice, but it would have been better if this was only a primordia review/article. It's a great adventure game that deserves more recognition.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Cool, about time MRY's game got some spotlight here.
If anything, I feel the Codex has been overgenerous with Primordia (and me!) -- there's Roxor's long and excellent LP, a number of tweets about sales, the long interview they did with me and Steven, and the opportunity to go to the Wasteland launch party, which (as I've said) was like an exceedingly pleasant dream. Not that I'm complaining!

That said, I feel a little bit low about Primodia being used as a comparison point to criticize Tormentum. While I certainly have my rivalries (grr Gemini Rue!), I suspect the Tormentum guys are just getting the sea legs and will continue to make great stuff. The art is there -- although I think they could benefit from not having everything in the scene at the same LOD/focus/lighting (it feels a little bit off in that respect) -- and I think they're going in the right direction. I'm sure we've not heard the last of them, provided they don't run out of potatoes / aren't sent to Siberia by a revanchist Putin.

Luckra

Educated
Primordia really deserves all the love it can get!
I didn't heard about Tormentum before, does anyone have any idea about the price at release? For a less than 4 hours experience, I'll wait for a heavy discount.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That said, I feel a little bit low about Primodia being used as a comparison point to criticize Tormentum. While I certainly have my rivalries (grr Gemini Rue!), I suspect the Tormentum guys are just getting the sea legs and will continue to make great stuff. The art is there -- although I think they could benefit from not having everything in the scene at the same LOD/focus/lighting (it feels a little bit off in that respect) -- and I think they're going in the right direction. I'm sure we've not heard the last of them, provided they don't run out of potatoes / aren't sent to Siberia by a revanchist Putin.
You're still somewhat new here, so I understand that. But rules are rules man. You won fair and square, and now you must cut their heads and eat their hearts - we must strengthen those willing to fight against the forces of Decline. Check your inbox, Bee should send their contact info & location soon.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
That said, I feel a little bit low about Primodia being used as a comparison point to criticize Tormentum.
This is just the first in a series of articles under a new category we're calling "Primordia vs Everything". Up next: Wasteland 2.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good to see you have decided to include Primordia in an official content piece, DarkUnderlord. This game can always use more publicity.
Crispin is also one of my favourite sidekicks ever, so :bro:

As for Tormentum - meh.

EDIT: 10.5 hours to beat Primordia? That is kind of long. i think I clicked on everything I could (although I was not able to solve everything) and it took me about six hours, maybe?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You're still somewhat new here, so I understand that. But rules are rules man. You won fair and square, and now you must cut their heads and eat their hearts - we must strengthen those willing to fight against the forces of Decline. Check your inbox, Bee should send their contact info & location soon.
Wait, if I knew I got to eat their hearts, I would have felt entirely differently about this. By all means, plane tickets!

--EDIT--
This is also neither here nor there, but my two-year-old daughter looked at the Codex troll in the top left (carrying the D20) and said, "Daddy, what's that?" I pause to try to figure out how to explain. "Oh wait!" she shouts. "That's me!"

Bow down to your White Rose.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Isn't the White Rose a character from the Black Company originally ?

Also: Primordia is a great game indeed and I'm looking forward to the other comparisons in the future.

Cross-thread quote:
Thanks for reminding me why I never play Advenure games anymore.

You should try this one though.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Tormentum artwork looks like a cheap HR Giger ripoff.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Indeed. Looking at those screens led me to believe that

Tormentum's art meanwhile, is just quite simply stunning. High resolution images of incredible quality show an exceptional level of detail. And this level is maintained through-out the entire game, with each screen accosting your eyeballs with its beauty and intricate design. It's clear a lot of work went into creating each image.

is actually meant to be biting sarcasm.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
They're quite open about their inspirations, so I don't think "ripoff" is a fair way to describe it. Anyway, I will cease playing defense for the other team, and go back to work.

zwanzig_zwoelf

They're quite open about their inspirations, so I don't think "ripoff" is a fair way to describe it. Anyway, I will cease playing defense for the other team, and go back to work.
Some of their artworks look like Giger's original art with filters applied to it. If it wasn't for that, I'd just say that it reminds me of it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The game also often goes on steep sales, though I'm not sure when the next one will happen.

zwanzig_zwoelf

It's alright, no need to hurry, dorra won't crash and burn here anytime soon (neither would my smoking habit).
The game is still on my wishlist, so I won't forget.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Indeed. Looking at those screens led me to believe that

Tormentum's art meanwhile, is just quite simply stunning. High resolution images of incredible quality show an exceptional level of detail. And this level is maintained through-out the entire game, with each screen accosting your eyeballs with its beauty and intricate design. It's clear a lot of work went into creating each image.

is actually meant to be biting sarcasm.
Infinitron & Crooked Bee have mentioned before that the Codex Gallery does have a certain low quality to its images. Which is mainly due to them being re-written by the PHP GD Image function upon upload. Also the game was inspired by HR Giger's art (whom I don't know and / or care about and so didn't mention).

EDIT: 10.5 hours to beat Primordia? That is kind of long. i think I clicked on everything I could (although I was not able to solve everything) and it took me about six hours, maybe?
10.5 was my total Primordia play-through time which includes 3 full play-throughs from start to finish + many endless hours of saving / reloading and trying different solutions and outcomes to various things. Not to mention lots of reading and putting entries into the info thing in Metropolis.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only complain about their size, not the quality

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom