Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Advertisements

Sabotai

Liturgist
First I thought it was a joke, the new advertisement layout. " SHADOWS OF UNDRENTIDE" Order the first NWN expansion now! Then I saw it was for real. Fortunately it was one of many different advertisements.

I had a good laugh at the irony, SoU sells more units because of advertising at RPG Codex.

Psilon

Erudite
When did the banner ads start up? I could swear they weren't there yesterday.

Also, is it absolutely imperative to have an ad at the start of the "topic review" area?

Calis

Pensionado
That would be: "Because Calis didn't want to add the banner to every single template by hand, but rather put it in the header template parser php file". Quick fix. Don't feel like changing it around atm, sorry.

As for them appearing today: correct again, I put the code in this morning.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Wow. I can help support Sorcerer's Place. I do like these ads though. They are somehow relevant to the topics of which I find much interest in. Why at the moment I am being offered the exciting opportunity to purchase IceWind Dale II, a fantastic RPG adventure. In my previous advertisement, I was offered the opportunity to purchase books to help support Sorcerer's Place. These ads beat penis enlargements, Gator installs, pop-up blockers and free money any day of the week, including weekends and public holidays.

In the event that this is a double post, blame phpBB. Oddly enough phpBB dies it you don't click that 'stayed logged in' tick box.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I put the code in for the main site and the screenshot template a couple of days ago. Calis put them in the forums this morning - so they're a lot more apparent now... since some of you don't even read the news.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Exitium said:
I put the code in for the main site and the screenshot template a couple of days ago. Calis put them in the forums this morning - so they're a lot more apparent now... since some of you don't even read the news.

Like me yes.

But do not worry . If you got any new content i will see it when i visit rpgdot .

One of the ironies of the internet.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Things I've learned today from our new banners, which I like better than the pop ups:

The Monster Manual II was written by Jeff Grubb. There's a joke in there somewhere.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
it's a sad reflection on how i've trained my brain to tune flashy bits on websites out, but i didn't even notice...

much, much better than those slide-over annoyances that 'quietly' open themselves over the content of the pages while you read them(and are part of the main window)...

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
toee.gif

YAY! That seriously has to be the first ad I've ever clicked on this site.

JanC

Liturgist
I love the new ads, too. They are tasteful, and relevent to the site, and most importantly they are not popups! Yipee!

ecliptic

Liturgist
I GREATLY prefer pop-ups. Throw dozens of 'em at me. I just have them turned off, so I don't see them.

The worst banners are the animated gifs that flash two solid colors, or the ones that insult my intelligence (new maiil! click here, you have a virus! click here! win $20, click here!).

axel

Liturgist
ecliptic said:
I GREATLY prefer pop-ups. Throw dozens of 'em at me. I just have them turned off, so I don't see them.

The worst banners are the animated gifs that flash two solid colors, or the ones that insult my intelligence (new maiil! click here, you have a virus! click here! win $20, click here!).

Agreed.

Some of these trickesey banner ads are even slipping by firebird's adblock.

Spazmo

Erudite
I'm just getting stuff like "BUY ToEE! BUY STUFF FROM SORCERERS.NET BOOKSTORE!" et cetera, so it's cool with me. And banners > popups, because now we're just that much more PROFUSHINUTAL.

Seriously, too many silly people--ranging from Gamer's Hell to the infamous JE Sawyer--have been giving us grief about the pop-ups, so banners are way better.

Greenskin13

Erudite
ecliptic said:

Popups or banners don't bother me too much, though popups do bother me less since I can turn them off. The really annoying ones are the ones that flash, like this Alienware one that's really pissing me off, or ones with sound, which fortunetly have not found their way on RPGCodex just yet.

Axel said:
Some of these trickesey banner ads are even slipping by firebird's adblock.

Firebird blocks banner ads? Damn, I should really switch but I just got used to Opera.

Sigh, the future's always a step ahead of me.

Deathy

Liturgist
Anyone else notice that the books that Sorcs.net are trying to sell are horribly bad?

D&D novels written by bad writers. Why do they even get published?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Deathy> They are D&D books is enough reason, as there´s enough nutters out there buying anything with the brand name attached to it. Most fantasty is rather crap anyway - haven´t read more than a handful good and creative fantasy books in the last 10 years. SciFi on the other hand....

And for the ads. Thumbs up.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
There's a group of kids in Poland that read only D&D novels. I wonder if it's good for them, because otherwise they wouldn't read anything, or is it bad, because it can heavily distort the children's sense of literature.
The books are bad themselves, and here in my country we also have horrible translations of them.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Elwro said:
The books are bad themselves, and here in my country we also have horrible translations of them.
Wow! You mean you get fucked over twice? You must feel lucky!

JanC

Liturgist
Elwro said:
There's a group of kids in Poland that read only D&D novels. I wonder if it's good for them, because otherwise they wouldn't read anything, or is it bad, because it can heavily distort the children's sense of literature.
Wow, that is pretty bad - the books already read like translations in the English versions! :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't see any of the ads, not even the little button I put up on the main page. ZoneAlarm makes sure of that. God bless Zone Labs.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's the funny thing about internet advertising. They screwed themselves over when they made advertisements seriously annoying and malicious. Abusing cookies and the like, data miners, and other things is why there's software out there to eliminate them altogether.

However, when we first put up the adcode for these banners, I've been using AdAware every other night to make sure there's nothing in them that's "bad". I haven't seen one yet that's tried to install anything suspicious.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
There's nothing "suspicious" about the ads. I run them on SP myself, and I made half of them myself, and the other half is Amazon ads, which are not harmful in any shape or form. Of course, unless people click on them and buy the stuff advertised, I don't get a penny in return, since there is no real advertising up at the moment per se; the banners show you how you can help by buying stuff via various affiliate programs SP is associated with.

If I ever get around to actually getting some decent advertising that will pay just for exposures, I'll put it up. But currently, there is none, so don't sprain yourself looking for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom