Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Advertising AdBlock

kaizoku

Arcane
I already have SRR from KS, but I still clicked on it just to see where the ad lead me to.

Shouldn't the ad refresh randomly to another game?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Believe it or not, DarkUnderlord , I had disabled AdBlock on the Codex on some of my pcs, to support the Codex a bit.
But if I keep seeing more pop-up/slide in ads with video and music playing, I will have to take measures....

:rpgcodex:

Seriously though, I don't care about banner ads or such and I don't know how much influence you have over the displayed ads, but ads with sound are annoying. I guess I might be able to block them selectively with NoScript, though...

There's a whole list of bad ads that when reported, I look into and remove if necessary. Check the advertising sticky in this forum for more info. Unfortunately it's a manual process, there's no quick and easy way to get rid of all problematic ads that occasionally appear.

I already have SRR from KS, but I still clicked on it just to see where the ad lead me to.

Shouldn't the ad refresh randomly to another game?

Usually, yes, this is an exception for a couple of days.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Unfortunately it's a manual process, there's no quick and easy way to get rid of all problematic ads that occasionally appear.

This is why I will never put up with ads on forums that I frequent.

Any of the other adblock bros know if there's a way to deal with the huge blank spaces that have started appearing in the past few days?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
No adblock enabled on codex, and I see sweet sweet Shadowrun ads up there. Better than the ads before! :)

kP6kZw.png

:excellent:

kaizoku

Arcane
Since you guys are having problems with the site's revenue I decided to help you out on those ads.
But don't a habit out of this!

LlugSow.jpg

FXNBOw1.jpg

ZqB1aMJ.jpg

PjSwRfo.jpg

:martini:

ok, this last one can actually make viewers click on it.

ZL3e71J.jpg

Now, how long until the codex becomes a money making magazine like IGN or Kotaku? :keepmyjewgold:

Darth Roxor

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Heh... despite popular belief, we've had ads for hundreds of popular and less popular games display in rotation over the years. Doesn't affect the content on the Codex in any shape or form because none of the Codex staff except me have anything to do with the ads and I don't have anything to do with the content. Unlike the big gaming networks, we don't depend on direct advertising deals and I also make it clear to anyone who wants to advertise on the Codex that having their ads up will in no way influence how the editors write about or review their game. If they're willing to accept that, fine, if not, too bad.

Monty

Arcane
That's the irony of the matter. Because the reviewers don't get paid by management there is no way a company can buy management and sway the reviewer.

True, they have to resort to free keys and trips to conventions I suppose :cool:

Suchy

Arcane
It's still a p. shit game.
But seriously, without adblock I'd probably quit internets for good, as I stopped watching TV entirely years ago.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just don't break the site in the process, or if you do disable that during ad-free periods.

I use adblock, I'd whitelist the dex, but I don't on two counts:
1. I also use noscript and keep the ad-providers on the blacklist, so the ads won't even load properly, and I have no idea how this affects pay-per-view ads - I'd presume they don't count.
2. Really annoying ads subsequently show up on embedded videos, especially via youtube, of which I'm sure the dex doesn't see a cent.

Even then, I'd only ever click an ad by accident...
So Taluntain, just curious, how much would the average user net the dex via pay-per-view ads over the course of a year?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Err, you're a patron... you don't get ads as it is so you don't need to adblock anything. And you're guessing right, NoScript is essentially the same thing as AdBlock as far as the ads are concerned. Only YouTube profits from the ads in videos there, the Codex doesn't in any way. I'm pretty sure that unblocking the Codex shouldn't make the ads appear in embedded YouTube videos, though. All the video content is still streaming from YouTube's servers, after all...

As for your question, that's really impossible to determine with any degree of accuracy as there's no such thing as an average user. You'd need long term tracking of all the site and forum visitors (say a year) and even then at best you'd get an imaginary "average" user that'd only be usable statistically. Here we've got visitors who visit the Codex maybe a few times, then you've got semi-regular readers, regulars, forum dwellers who see more of the Codex grey than the light of the sun, etc. The advertising that's available to us also varies wildly month by month and there's no division between pay-per-click and pay-per-impression ads as they're all blended together in the end. Plus there's the issue that we're not separately tracking how many people are actually using AdBlock or NoScript and are throwing off the numbers simply because they contribute 0 advertising revenue-wise (which would not be the case even if they never clicked on any ads, but just let them load) and probably a few other factors as well. The patron donation options certainly cover the loss of income from those users who then don't see any ads, though. Well, for those users who actually donated to the Codex for the Patron tag and didn't get it for free as a perk of donating for one of the Kickstarters, anyway, but that's another issue altogether...

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
when you reach the true ending of dragonfall you are given a code that you need to paste into the status field of your profile here on the dex. it will disable the dragonfall ads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom