Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Advice on Daggerfall Stability Issues

potatohead

Novice
From what I understand the game has always had 'issues' but I'm fully patched [107.213 commonly refered to as 213] The Game goes along fine then crashes for no reason other than I opened a door. A couple times I was 'Stealthing' my way up to a Giant when I slipped into a void that wasn't there if I wasn't 'stealthing'

I'm running win 98 [I have the 41meg patch for XP for when that time comes]

I'm a High Elf Rogue [level 3] I'll also take any advice on fighting [I Suxxorz], I'm not proud. :oops:

If less is more just think how much more more will be.
Fraiser (TV Show)

Rabby

Liturgist
For advice on fighting in Daggerfall. . . avoid the dungeons with spiders! Their sound and their green ugliness scare the $%^$%#& out of me. . . :oops: And even if I enjoy seeing naked women in taverns, I've always turned on Parental Control because the corpses are too nasty.

Raymondo

Liturgist
Daggerfall is cool, the only problem I had with it was the quest you got when you were level 3, cant remember what it was but it was hard.

Maybe if I got my hands on daggerfall maybe i could complete it once and for all.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
DON'T upgrade to XP if you plan to play Daggerfall. The game will run fine, but all quest monsters will be invisible.

chiefnewo

Liturgist
If you look around daggerfall sites, you'll find how to activate debug (also called cheat) mode. This is especially useful for the void problem,
as activating the debug mode allows to use F11 (I think) to move you back to the last point you were standing on.

As for fighting, a good way to fight is to step forward as you swing, then immediately step back after you hit. As a bonus this will develop your Dodge skill.

And random crashes? There is no fix, just make sure you save a lot. And back up those saves, occasionally save corruption occurs for no reason.

potatohead

Novice
Thanks for the replys. I've been poking around this site for a bit, gleaning what info I can: The Beginner's Guide To Daggerfall

http://www.izhtex.com/tes2/index.htm

I have very little experience with RPG's but I'm of the opinion that more of them should be like this [open ended, no linear rush, a bazillion places to go]. Heck, I can even buy a house.

The Game/Quest Journal could be a little cleaner/organised, Fighting could be a little/lot smoother. I get a few 'Garbled' sounds [some sort of Fanfare or Alarm jingle that isn't playing right] Guess I'll mess with my midi selection [another thing to note is that I missed 99% of the DOS days of the PC world having had an AMIGA from 86 to ... well entirely too long, 98 I think, So that whole extended memory thing baffles me

I've heard good [and bad] things about Morrowind and Gothic I+II but I don't have the horsepower to run them [350 mhz 192megs RAM ... It's a long story]

Anyhow, I'll just keep plodding along. Just like in real life, It's an exercise in humility, getting my head handed to me without losing my lunch money. :lol:

Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
--Rita Rudner

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So, if you're running DG on W98, pray tell: are you able to run backwards? Or move while having two keys depressed, e.g. up and right arrow? I finished DG on a DOS machine and when I recently ran it in MSDOS prompt of W98, I couldn't do both of abovementioned things, and the sound (SBLive) was a bit garbled. The strange thing is that in MSDOS mode, with SB emulation, the game ran veeery slowly, slower than it did on a P120.
Anyone can give me any tips?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think that was the first thing I did, but I'll check it. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom