Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aeon of Sands: The Trail - Dungeon Crawling RPG love letter to the 90s!

neilsouth

Augur
https://aeonofsands.com

1.jpg

it's with great pleasure to announce Aoen of Sands : The Trail. Developed by Two Bits Kid, based in Germany, Aoen of Sands is a "Dungeon Adventure" story-driven RPG love letter to the golden Amiga, PC classics of the 90's

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/07/aoen-of-sands-trail-dungeon-crawling.html

PC - MAC - LINUX

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Looks neat but that's a hella lot of decoration, should put the game logo there for good measure

Stargazer_

looks solid, the art sticks out pretty well while mantaining its own feel even though it is inspired by 80s-90s dungeon crawlers.

From mucking around in google Two Bits Kids don't seem to have alot of experience, but according to their site "Florian has a background in cryptography software development. He is responsible for technical direction, game-mechanic and programming.Marco is a draftsman and illustrator by trade and a social narrative artist; he is responsible for game direction, story and visuals ."

I want to see were this game leads.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Way too much empty space in the screen and viewscreen is way too small.

neilsouth

Augur
UPDATE :

Short answer is: our screenshots show the whole area of the interface, while it can get cropped to the active area (the one comprehending the dungeon's view, the portraits and stats bars, the direction arrows) depending on the monitor the game is played on.

We have also considered active resizing, but that has a technical downside in the artifact creation, it would be as using resize shaders on Winuae.
The cropping is already in game, the resizing will probably not be there, but it will be up to Florian.

Long answer is: basically, we have a limit in what we can do with interface that's not different from the games from the early nineties.
Our dungeon view is small not for memory constraints, but for the capability to produce the amount of graphics required with the workforce involved (only me); by the fact that we want to show an inventory that does not cover the dungeon, that never pauses the action there; by the need to show text for the story and a compass, direction arrows for future, possible touch screen devices implementation, etc; all in bitmap graphics.

All of that and more, made the dungeon's view small, and with no possibility to make that alone go full screen (actually I can, in debug, but, uhm, that's supposed to be secret.)
So I needed a present and real interface, and to use the same solutions games like the ones that inspired us used to address those problems.

So, to make it a bit interesting, I made at least the interface telling subtly a story in itself, that will be more clear if we ever get to the second chapter of the game
smile.gif

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We cannot produce art that looks good at modern resolutions so we just resize the screen to look ridiculously small."

Holy shit, why didn't we think of that?!
We're currently busy trying to create an engine that looks fine (and runs smoothly, bigger problem with our game) at any resolution with limited art and programming resources, also from first person perspective. With hundreds - thousands of (potentially AI-controlled/ at least scripted) objects in the player's view at the same time. I'd say we have a slightly increased challenge.
We should just set the resolution to be fixed at 800x600 and center it on the screen. And then place our inventory always in sight because that is such a good idea with a game that runs in real-time to turn otherwise boring inventory item movement into an exciting micro-management game!
That is brilliant!

... honestly, what a lame excuse. And a wrong one. This was horrible in Ultima Underworld and the developers knew it (as proven by latest UU dev commentary video). But there it was a technical limitation because PCs couldn't handle the sheer graphics.
So they shrunk the first person view and then at least used the free screen space for something.
There is no need for this in modern games, every phone can run such a game ffs. And emulating the most annoying aspects of 90s games just to be "feature complete" is not really a good idea.
I get that one man can only produce so much art, but then produce art for only one resolution and let the player decide if he wants to scale or not.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
I love Meynaf commitment to DM, but, trust me, EoB was the reason, as I could never get play DM much (sadly)

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
eh? Do you speak about Meynaf' custom dungeons for Dungeon Master or about Aeon of Sands?
In case of Aeon of Sands, Two Bits Kid is self financing the project.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
yeah, I'm the designer, half of Two Bits Kid. I've stumbled in this thread made by Neil, and I thought to answer that comment about this not being inspired by EoB :)
I hope it's not in bad taste.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
EoB had 14 inventory slots, plus 12 slots of active equipment and one quiver per character; AoS has 25 inventory slots per character and 8 equipment slots per character, so I think we fare well enough for a game that's not limited to dungeon crawlling as EoB was :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom