Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

After playing a lot of JRPGs, most CRPGs became tedious

I used to hate JRPGs and i had a hard time getting into them, but after a lot of attempts i've finally got into them and i've been playing JRPGs constantly for the last years:

Breath of Fire II, III, IV
Dragon Quest series
Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII
Fire Emblem series
Legend of Dragoon
Suikoden I, II
Vandal Hearts
Xenogears
and so much more.

These games play similar and are easy to get into, they offer a decent story(even with all the tropes), fun combat, responsive UI, great music (on average better than CRPGs), and cool weird-but-original monsters design. Sure, gameplay wise they are dumbed down and not as complex as CRPGs, BUT they are FUN and respect my time, simple as that.

When i play CRPGs, especially before-Fallout CRPGs i have to deal with slow clunky UI, games not working properly on WIN 10, bugs, reading manuals, bad pacing, cryptic puzzles and gameplay mechanics, drawing maps, slow or clunky combat system (real time blobbers, Ultima VII, RoA, TES), inconsistent difficulty...

meanwhile i can just put any JRPG on emulator and eveything will run flawlessly and i am guaranteed to have fun, at least for a while depending on the game. Even bland bottom tier JRPGs (beyond the beyond, Dragon Quest 2, Record of Agarest War) still enjoyable, meanwhile, bottom tier WRPGs (Ishar, Lionheart, Lands of Lore 3, Might and magic 9) are a huge nope for me.

I can still play and enjoy Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Icewind Dale, Planescape, Might and Magic 3-8... those games are timeless, but JRPGs are more fun for me overall.

That's the main reason on why i've not been on Codex anymore, and other reason is that i've to confirm my email everytime i want to login, codex still haven't fixed this shit so i don't even bother.

Last edited:
Nobody cares

probably true but what i am trying to say is that tastes on games changes over time, and once you get past the art-style and teenagers characters you can truly appreciate JRPGs for what they try to do, that's making the player have FUN while playing it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
When i play CRPGs, especially before-Fallout CRPGs i have to deal with slow clunky UI, games not working properly on WIN 10, bugs, reading manuals, bad pacing, cryptic puzzles and gameplay mechanics, drawing maps, slow or clunky combat system (real time blobbers, Ultima VII, RoA, TES), inconsistent difficulty...

Yeah for 15+ year old games JRPGs are much more comfy. They have put effort into making logical UIs since day 2 with Dragon Quest 1, even JRPGs from 1987 like Phantasy Star have less clunky controls than 2000 era crpgs.

meanwhile i can just put any JRPG on emulator and eveything will run flawlessly and i am guaranteed to have fun, at least for a while depending on the game. Even bland bottom tier JRPGs (beyond the beyond, Dragon Quest 2, Record of Agarest War) still enjoyable, meanwhile, bottom tier WRPGs (Ishar, Lionheart, Lands of Lore 3, Might and magic 9) are a huge nope for me.

Also there is just a lot more of JRPGs than CRPGs. I'd say that there are more top tier JRPGs than there are non shovelware CRPGs in total. If you add mid range JRPGs then the market eclipses the west to hell and back, because they never really had the decline, as when console gaming became big in the Xbox 360/PS3 era all the good JRPGs just went into Diaspora on the PSP and DS lines.
There being more games overall leads to there being more timeless classics. Western classics I havn't played are: Goldbox series, real time blobbers (Anvil of Dawn, Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master etc), most of Might and Magic and Wizardry. I can't even count the amount JRPG classics I havn't played yet because there are just so damn many of them.

I definitly like playing both genres, optimally I alternate between them and play both about an equal amount. Due to the vastly different atmospheres I feel they tend to balance out each other fairly well, preventing either genre from going stale for me. But with the ominous decline having wrecked the CRPG market for a good decade, and the crpg renaissance certainly being somewhat sluggish in a comparison JRPGs currently have a leg up on CRPGs.

[QUOTE="Sreggin Etah I, post: 7379558, member: 26663]

Also there is just a lot more of JRPGs than CRPGs. I'd say that there are more top tier JRPGs than there are non shovelware CRPGs in total. If you add mid range JRPGs then the market eclipses the west to hell and back, because they never really had the decline, as when console gaming became big in the Xbox 360/PS3 era all the good JRPGs just went into Diaspora on the PSP and DS lines.
There being more games overall leads to there being more timeless classics. Western classics I havn't played are: Goldbox series, real time blobbers (Anvil of Dawn, Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master etc), most of Might and Magic and Wizardry. I can't even count the amount JRPG classics I havn't played yet because there are just so damn many of them.

Also, JRPGs developers are more conservative and try to improve on what's not broken, SNES JRPGs for example, all look like they've been made on the same engine and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's not broken. Western developers keep changing their engines which leads to abominations like lands of lore 2, 3 and Might and Magic 9.

The best western RPGs developers went bankrupt, while you still have good Japanese developers like Atlus, Square Enix and Falcom.

And you're right, there's a lot more JRPGs that are worth playing than WRPGs.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Bottom tier jrpgs are the biggest waste of time. Record of agarest war i dont know how anyone can invest time into that. Idea factory games. Then there games like slightly above bottom tier like trails games, rogue galaxy and shining resonance refrain, tales of zestiria where the gameplay is fundamentally shit but there decent production values in story or art.

See with bottom tier CRPG you know what is a waste of time and what is good about the games. JRPG they tend to trick you in wasting more time then you should have.

Bottom tier jrpgs are the biggest waste of time. Record of agarest war i dont know how anyone can invest time into that. Idea factory games. Then there games like slightly above bottom tier like trails games, rogue galaxy and shining resonance refrain, tales of zestiria where the gameplay is fundamentally shit but there decent production values in story or art.

See with bottom tier CRPG you know what is a waste of time and what is good about the games. JRPG they tend to trick you in wasting more time then you should have.

They can be a waste of time, but they still playable, their UI still functional, they still have music, story and gameplay even if mediocre. Meanwhile bottom tier WRPGs are barely playable, either due to shit UI or bugs, i can't name one JRPG that's a buggy mess like Lands of Lore 3, Liontheart, Beyond Divinity, Dungeon Lords, Pool of Radiance 2, Ultima IX, Might and magic 9...

The list of broken WRPGs is so fucking big ! even good games like Fallout 2 and Masquerade Bloodlines are broken without fan made patches.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

:excellent:
:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Nobody cares

Could you please refrain from posting outside of Baldur's Gate 3 threads?

Anyway, I also find JRPG's much easier to get into than CRPG's because of their faster, and grindier gameplay, and how less choice heavy they overall are regarding the story and game world. If I for example had 30 minutes before I had to go to work, I would have no problem to pick up SMT4A, grind for 25 minutes, and then go to work, whereas with titles like Fallout or Baldur's Gate, you definitely need a certain amount of time to immerse yourself into the gameworld to get the most fun out of these titles.

That's what I at least notice for myself regarding those genres. If you have less time due to work or other factors, then JRPG's might appeal more to you, while a good CRPG can only fully be enjoyed within a long night and a bottle of beer or two.

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah JRPGs can be fun, but its sad they are still mostly stuck in primitive 80s design, not even had their Ultima 4 or 5 moment in some respects. Systems too closed off and locked down. Blob parties, can't use members as individual units + enemy interaction is sequestered into it's own dimension so can't scout ahead, set up ambushes, divide and conquer, kite, etc . Non combat skill usage is minimal. Low dungeon and town interactivity.

That said, yeah they are more polished on average. They have more style and audiovisual flair on average. Characters more expressive. More often attempt to do interesting things with combat. Take those strengths and combine with the best of CRPG simulationism, you'd have a world beater of a game, at least for me

Last edited:
Nobody cares

Could you please refrain from posting outside of Baldur's Gate 3 threads?

Anyway, I also find JRPG's much easier to get into than CRPG's because of their faster, and grindier gameplay, and how less choice heavy they overall are regarding the story and game world. If I for example had 30 minutes before I had to go to work, I would have no problem to pick up SMT4A, grind for 25 minutes, and then go to work, whereas with titles like Fallout or Baldur's Gate, you definitely need a certain amount of time to immerse yourself into the gameworld to get the most fun out of these titles.

That's what I at least notice for myself regarding those genres. If you have less time due to work or other factors, then JRPG's might appeal more to you, while a good CRPG can only fully be enjoyed within a long night and a bottle of beer or two.

I agree, JRPGs are fast food and easier to get into, my two biggest problem with WRPGs are bad UI and bugs, especially bugs.

Wizardry 6 kept crashing randomly, Gothic 1 music doesn't work, Might and magic 7 and 8 again randomly crashes but still playable, Fallout 3 and New Vegas non-stop crashing.

I am wasting my time, money and patience with these games so i just gave up and only play emulated games nowadays: Genesis, SNES, ARCADE, GBA... all emulated games works flawlessly

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
JRPGs tend to have much better quality control, art and music. They are less likely to bait and switch you with a great opening chapter or whatever.

I do find they never hit the heights of something like Swordflight but if you want to play RPGs as a "hobby" there are actually enough great JRPGs to keep you going for a long time.

With CRPGs you taste a truly great one and then spend the next few days rooting through garbage like an addict suffering withdrawal.

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
i feel like it's less about the genre itself and more about the games being on console as opposed to PC that makes them so much easier to just pick up and play since they're designed with that in mind. Even some WRPGs have easier to play versions on console, like the PSX versions of Wizardry are a lot easier to jump into than the original versions and some of the Might and Magic games also have decent ports from what I hear as well.

I do find they never hits the heights of something like Swordflight but if you want to play RPGs as a "hobby" there are actually enough great JRPGs to keep you going for a long time.

True, i haven't replayed a JRPG multiple times like i did with Baldur's Gate, Might and Magic 7, Icewind Dale and Fallout. But at the same time i don't need to, there so many others good JRPGs to play, with CRPGs you're stuck with the same classics from 1995-2000 with a few hidden gems from the 2010s / 2020s.

Falksi

Arcane
I really enjoy both, just give me the best of both genres.

Half the key to enjoying games is cycling them as you feel to keep things fresh. And part of that for me is also playing the right popamole games alongside either CRPGs or JRPGs to break things up when I fancy it.

Btw, if you're into JRPGs you really should check out:
  • Shining Force 2 (1 is worth a go too, just not as good, but maybe try that first)
  • Lufia 2
  • The Tales Series
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Shadow Hearts Series
  • The Last Remnant
Every cunt bangs on about Chrono Trigger & FF6, but I prefer those listed above.

mogwaimon

Magister
I really enjoy both, just give me the best of both genres.

Half the key to enjoying games is cycling them as you feel to keep things fresh. And part of that for me is also playing the right popamole games alongside either CRPGs or JRPGs to break things up when I fancy it.

Btw, if you're into JRPGs you really should check out:
  • Shining Force 2 (1 is worth a go too, just not as good, but maybe try that first)
  • Lufia 2
  • The Tales Series
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Shadow Hearts Series
  • The Last Remnant
Every cunt bangs on about Chrono Trigger & FF6, but I prefer those listed above.

don't get me wrong I like my FF6 but Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 are fucking awesome and Lost Odyssey is amazing. Haven't touched Shadow Hearts 3 yet but I hear it's hit or miss. Do yourselves a favor, if you only have time for one or two of the RPGs on Falksi's list try those in particular

BUT they are FUN and respect my time, simple as that.
This is never something I expected someone to say of Jrpgs, and makes me suspect your post is bait. Random encounters every 3 steps, summon animations that take minutes, long ass dialogues and walking sequences.

Not sure which JRPGs you've played but the ones i've played battles ends very fast, in dragon quest 3 most random encounters takes around 3 turns, overall less than 20 seconds. For comparison, battles in Wizardry 7 and 8 takes around 1 minute or a lot more and there's shit tons of random encounters in Wizardry 7. The only JRPG i've played so far with slow battles is The Legend of Dragoon which takes around 40 sencods each random encounter.

dacencora

Blob parties, can't use members as individual units + enemy interaction is sequestered into it's own dimension so can't scout ahead, set up ambushes, divide and conquer, kite, etc . Non combat skill usage is minimal. Low dungeon and town interactivity.

Fire Emblem has all of those things. Kiting/ambush set ups/divide and conquer, etc. The subgenre of SRPGs do all of that. However, non-combat skills are still minimal, if used at all.

This is never something I expected someone to say of Jrpgs, and makes me suspect your post is bait. Random encounters every 3 steps, summon animations that take minutes, long ass dialogues and walking sequences.

Sounds like you haven't played many JRPGs. It also sounds like you don't understand the point of random encounters. Oh well. Can't win them all, I suppose.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
BUT they are FUN and respect my time, simple as that.

Not sure which JRPGs you've played but the ones i've played battles ends very fast, in dragon quest 3 most random encounters takes around 3 turns, overall less than 20 seconds. For comparison, battles in Wizardry 7 and 8 takes around 1 minute or a lot more and there's shit tons of random encounters in Wizardry 7. The only JRPG i've played so far with slow battles is The Legend of Dragoon which takes around 40 sencods each random encounter.

It is a stereotype born of the JRPGs that are most likely to be the first and only exposure of those who dislike JRPGs. Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest VIII because those achieved genre overreaching success. Particularily FFVIIs being Sony's flagship to sell the PSX. While I don't think FFVII or Chrono Trigger are overly slow games you can see how all of those stereotypes originate from those games.

I've beaten Final Fantasy 6 for the first time recently, that final boss theme was nice:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom