Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence is the best CRPG of the past 15 years

jdinatale

Cipher
The player starts in a small town in a post-apocalyptic world, except the world before was closer to the Roman Empire than the Information Age. The mythos is that gods fought it out, leading to the destruction of both the Empire and their enemies. However, it quickly becomes clear that there were some steampunk stuff involved.

Anyway, the player generally seeks to gain the trust of one of the major powers in the region to further their own ambitions. But the great thing is that there is no mandatory path. The player could help any of the factions or none at all. Seek either riches or understanding of what really transpired. Or they could do all of that and try to become more powerful than anyone else.

There are 3 Noble Houses vying for power, 4 other factions trying to either just survive or supplant the Houses as the Major Power on the region, as well as a few not-so-minor characters and groups that could change the fate of both the player and the other factions in a number of ways.

In AoD you only command a single character. The combat is absolutely brutal. Death is always permanent (short of a reload, obviously). I've died more times than I've been victorious and it never gets easier.

The combat is Isometric and Turn Based, so it may not be your cup of tea. Also, the graphics are pretty bad (they were made on Torque). But if you can get past all those problems you are rewarded with one of the most in-depth combat systems of the past years (for cRPGs, anyway).

Every choice matters, both inside and outside of combat. It's not always worth it to pursue combat though, mostly because there is a very high chance it will end up with you dead, but thankfully you can avoid pretty much any confrontation. Learning which fights to pick and which ones to stay away from is crucial and mastering all the tools that are available to you is the only way of staying alive if you decide to kill your way out of most situations.

On some playthroughs you may manage to carve your way through an entire battalion of highly trained, highly experienced Imperial Soldiers. On others you can consider yourself lucky for surviving the last Arena match against a single opponent.

The most interesting part is that the hardest fights are less reliant on your skills than on your tactics and opponents. Your combat prowess may rival the gods, but you can still die just as easily as any schmuck if you are surrounded by a dozen thugs and cutthroats.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
That's a bold statement.

Generally speaking, in a sea of garbage I very much like AoD. But it's needed to be said that it plays like a CYOA booklet with an awkward camera. It's a somewhat specific game in a way of gameplay it offers.

Also, do you think people here not know what AoD is or are you just shilling?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
AoD is great, but I think Swordflight is better.

Also, 15 years takes us back to 2003.

So you are saying AoD is better than ToEE, Silent Storm, Mask of the Betrayer, Vampire Bloodlines and Warband.

Can't say I agree with that. Given a choice between AoD and any one of those, I'd go with the latter.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
They are not really the same subgenre. JA2 is a tactical giant along with ToEE. Underrail is more of a general isometric RPG with elaborate crafting.

JA2 is also squad based.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
They are not really the same subgenre. JA2 is a tactical giant along with ToEE. Underrail is more of a general isometric RPG with elaborate crafting.

JA2 is also squad based.

And that's why Jagged Alliance 2 is better. Now, if you don't want me to include squad-based because "it's unfair", I'll say Fallout then. Anyone who says Underrail > Fallout needs their head read.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, AoD is pretty great. The C&C is fun, the storyline is managed to keep my attention, and it's very easy to replay.

I don't really care for graphical prowess. As far as I'm concerned, if graphics are a deal breaker for you then you're a pussy. Do I let "graphics" get in the way of enjoying older RPGs? No, because only pug-nosed queers are about that. Probably grew up with a PS3 or something.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Lilura Fallout over Underrail absolutely but I was talking the 5 year range.

EDIT: what's your gripe with Underrail? Is it because the Serbs made it or what? Genuinely curious.

LNk9uar.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
what's your gripe with Underrail?

It disappointed me. It's just a cheap knock-off of Fallout, and JA2 lite in every way. Slow walkspeed and no run mode, gimmicky stealth, my female character was referred to as male, no destructible environments (can't even shoot through a pane of glass), no companions, lack of sounds, low budget feel, smartphone UI, no death anims, cartoony visuals, lots of backtracking, can't even climb up ladders (like Fallout and JA2) etc.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What the FOOK are you talking about girl... Cant climb up ladders? Cant shoot through glass? Must every game be like JA2 only to appease you? Get out of here...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

razvedchiki

Erudite
Its surely is one of the best,it has everything a rpg has to have
- great writing.
- excellent combat system.
- great itemization.
- loads of Choice and Consequence/reactivity.
- main quest/side quests are interesting with many ways to solve them.

Only thing i would like to have is more content,hope the colony ship game is bigger.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
AoD was an interesting experiment and deserves strong recognition in cRPG history. Not saying it succeeded, but to refuse to respect what it achieved would be utterly indecent for anyone interested in game design. Of course, if you are a mere degenerate, I understand these formal considerations do not affect you very deeply.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Yeah, one of the most sophisticated, intelligently-designed games of all-time is "average". Best tactics ever, best UI ever and best itemization ever, too.

The most intelligently designed characters like Cleve, Tex, Speck and the other gimmicky shit. Best tactics ever, shoot in the air and wait for the fucken atrocious AI to run your direction. Best UI ever? Obviously, its like a laptop in your laptop. Best itemization? It has guns, medkit and some crafting trash. I could understand if you defended the 1.13 so rabidly, its maybe the best mod ever made. The Vanilla is average

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom