Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence is the best CRPG of the past 15 years

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This newfag is so fucking insufferable, and even worse than that, he's fucking retarded.
Are you implying aod has deep combat mechanics other than max your stats

In wasteland you can use cover and positioning to make up for a lack of combat skill, in aod you literally just get raped and no amount of positioning or tactics can save you, it's on the level of jrpgs in combat depth

Every no name beggar fucktard and bandit has 10 in weapon skill dodge and critical strike, somehow vendors never restock so if you used your bolas or bombs to beat the arena grand champ who uses cheat codes to get multiple turns guess what you're shit out of luck, throwing doesn't do shit, you're expected to just max one thing like a retard
In Age of Decadence, you can use cover and positioning to both lower the skills of certain enemies, funnel them in towards you at certain choke points, and nullify ranged characters by carefully positioning their allies in front of them. This thirteen year-old kid was too stupid to figure out a combat encounter so he came on the forums to whine about how there is no combat in the game and it's all RNG dice-rolls. Stay mad kid.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Is it a common problem with the game when there there is only black screen after loading instead of the game, and save/reload doesn't help?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
This newfag is so fucking insufferable, and even worse than that, he's fucking retarded.

In wasteland you can use cover and positioning to make up for a lack of combat skill, in aod you literally just get raped and no amount of positioning or tactics can save you, it's on the level of jrpgs in combat depth

Every no name beggar fucktard and bandit has 10 in weapon skill dodge and critical strike, somehow vendors never restock so if you used your bolas or bombs to beat the arena grand champ who uses cheat codes to get multiple turns guess what you're shit out of luck, throwing doesn't do shit, you're expected to just max one thing like a retard
In Age of Decadence, you can use cover and positioning to both lower the skills of certain enemies, funnel them in towards you at certain choke points, and nullify ranged characters by carefully positioning their allies in front of them. This thirteen year-old kid was too stupid to figure out a combat encounter so he came on the forums to whine about how there is no combat in the game and it's all RNG dice-rolls. Stay mad kid.
Compared to other rpgs it isn't deep, sorry

26 years old by the way, only off by 13 years

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're comparing a game almost exclusively melee to games that have multiple forms of ranged combat and positional modifiers, I'm not saying I hate aods system, but if you're going to judge off the depth of tactics and complexity, it just isn't there
You said that compared to other RPGs, it isn't deep. I'm waiting to hear about those other RPGs. AoD has Crossbows, Bows, and varied kinds of throwing weapons. What other ranged weapons did you want? And what positional modifiers are there in other games that are missing from AoD? Let's hear it, I really want to play these superior games.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
You're comparing a game almost exclusively melee to games that have multiple forms of ranged combat and positional modifiers, I'm not saying I hate aods system, but if you're going to judge off the depth of tactics and complexity, it just isn't there
You said that compared to other RPGs, it isn't deep. I'm waiting to hear about those other RPGs. AoD has Crossbows, Bows, and varied kinds of throwing weapons. What other ranged weapons did you want? And what positional modifiers are there in other games that are missing from AoD? Let's hear it, I really want to play these superior games.
take a second to think about what other games with melee weapons have that aod doesnt have, it shouldnt be too hard for an old experienced gamer like you

barghwata

Savant

To claim the game is completely luck based is retarded, the ability to gain a tactical edge is clearly there, unless you're fighting ennemies that are way off your league, in which case it's kinda your fault for doing so, the game however does lack tactical variety, the combat is not party based so you can only control your own positioning and optimise your own moves but you can't control those fighting alongside you, there isn't a big variety of techniques or skills or weapons, and the level design doesn't add a whole lot of tacital depth either, generally the right and most optimised move to make in each turn is quite obvious.

It's clearly not the greatest RPG out there when it comes to tactics, but the combat system is simple, effective and very fun, to compare it with tactical RPGs is just unfair, AoD manages to have solid combat on top of all the other qualities it brings (story, C&C...).

I can't belive i am defending a game that i very much dislike.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Turn based game mechanic no longer a rare thing in gaming. In general, the Kickstarter revival took away a lot of glamour associated with AoD. It should really have been held as a great milestone but was buried under a shower or mediocre releases which had the same taglines, such as Wasteland 2, PoE etc.
Which is why this cRPG renascence thing is a lie. The games that took the media spotlight were made by veterans who never wanted to make traditional cRPGs in the first place. They milked our nostalgia, dumbed down the genre with shallow combat mechanics and C&C, and left many new players spoiled and confused. The real renascence is a silent one, and it revovles around a few titles that never got the accolades they deserve.

this was the post I responded to, aod simply does not have more complex mechanics than any game he mentioned, aod has the least combat complexity and tactical depth of any of them, it's simply factually incorrect

in aod the most important thing is your block and weapon skill, not your positioning or utilization of abilities

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
people on the codex dont realize that other games

what other games, name the titles retard.
Think of the many rpgs on the top 100 list that have melee, then think about if they have magic, then think about if they have guns, then think about if they have bows, I'm sure you could find 50 of them, but you might not be that smart, then think about how many different abilities and utility items those games have, then think about how that makes the combat more complex, in comparison to how barebones Age of Decadence is, then think about how stupid you look

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Answer the fucking question, or don't answer at all. By systematicaly eluding it, all you achieve is looking like you have no idea what you're talking about. Which is probably the case.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Answer the fucking question, or don't answer at all. By systematicaly eluding it, all you achieve is looking like you have no idea what you're talking about. Which is probably the case.
Pick half the games on the top 100 of the codex, you're the one evading the fact that aod is shallow

It was literally designed to be barebones, it was intentional, compare that to the two games the original poster I replied to who said wasteland 2 and PoE lacked depth, meanwhile they have maybe hundreds or more active abilities and utilities making combat more complex, as well as a stealth system and cover mechanics with more weapon classes, aod is barebones in comparison

Last edited:

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
What's your tactic, please explain how you approach fights with your melee and block character

Which fight? The way you ask the question indicates you have no idea what you're talking about.
In general what is your most used tactic as a Melee block character

In my experience it was fast attack until they die, unless I'm facing the most broken encounters in the game, where we switch that to maybe a torso strike after a Bola, or a leg or arm strike, in every other scenario it's fast attack, then bash

On the rare occasion you'll whirlwind

If we're talking about tactical depth accounting for abilities and positioning, don't be facetious it's obvious many games have more depth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom