Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence is the best CRPG of the past 15 years

Saduj

Arcane
If we're talking about tactical depth accounting for abilities and positioning, don't be facetious it's obvious many games have more depth

If it is so obvious, why have you utterly failed to articulate how this is true?

In AOD, the tactical options for a melees block character are which variation of your chosen weapon to use, what type of attack to use, positioning, when to use consumables and which consumables to use. What are you contending is missing? In order to have a point, you have to be able articulate this.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
If we're talking about tactical depth accounting for abilities and positioning, don't be facetious it's obvious many games have more depth

If it is so obvious, why have you utterly failed to articulate how this is true?

In AOD, the tactical options for a melees block character are which variation of your chosen weapon to use, what type of attack to use, positioning, when to use consumables and which consumables to use. What are you contending is missing? In order to have a point, you have to be able articulate this.
I just listed how barebones it is, compare that to the 2 games that politician mentioned, PoE and wasteland 2 and you'll find that your positioning and utilization of abilities is far more important in those games, as well as there being much more complexity in the systems, in comparison to aod where you get maybe 5 moves, and the position boils down to stand in front of each other and hope you don't get crit

I also like how you completely ignored the previous 3 posts explaining that

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imagine citing PoE and Wasteland 2, as your example of games that have deep and meaningful tactical combat systems. Lmao. Get the fuck out of here newfag.

Saduj

Arcane

I just listed how barebones it is, compare that to the 2 games that politician mentioned, PoE and wasteland 2 and you'll find that your positioning and utilization of abilities is far more important in those games, as well as there being much more complexity in the systems, in comparison to aod where you get maybe 5 moves, and the position boils down to stand in front of each other and hope you don't get crit

You have yet to name anything specific despite your bluff being called multiple times. I can imagine playing poker with you:

(River card is dealt)

The mole: I bet $20. You guys should just fold, I have really good cards.

Saduj: I call

The mole: You really don't want to do that, I have really good cards and you clearly aren't considering all the possibilities given the board here...

Saduj: I already called. The hand is over. We have to show our cards now.

The mole: My cards are going to be way better than yours, you should just fold...

Saduj: I already called, meaning that I don't concede that your cards are better. These are my cards. I paired my King on the river. Now the only way for you to win is to show a better hand.

The mole: A pair of Kings? I can beat that easily. Just fold....

Saduj: You can't continue to bluff now, you've been called. Show your cards or concede.

The mole: I can't believe this guy doesn't get that my hand is much, much better than pair of Kings!

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

You have yet to name anything specific despite your bluff being called multiple times. I can imagine playing poker with you:

(River card is dealt)

The mole: I bet $20. You guys should just fold, I have really good cards.

Saduj: I call

The mole: You really don't want to do that, I have really good cards and you clearly aren't considering all the possibilities given the board here...

Saduj: I already called. The hand is over. We have to show our cards now.

The mole: My cards are going to be way better than yours, you should just fold...

Saduj: I already called, meaning that I don't concede that your cards are better. These are my cards. I paired my King on the river. Now the only way for you to win is to show a better hand.

The mole: A pair of Kings? I can beat that easily. Just fold....

Saduj: You can't continue to bluff now, you've been called. Show your cards or concede.

The mole: I can't believe this guy doesn't get that my hand is much, much better than pair of Kings!
I've named specifics pertaining to every question, you're so desperate you're changing the subject and just making shit up now

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Imagine citing PoE and Wasteland 2, as your example of games that have deep and meaningful tactical combat systems. Lmao. Get the fuck out of here newfag.
Politician cited them as lacking tactical depth, yet they have more tactical depth

Saduj

Arcane
I've named specifics pertaining to every question, you're so desperate you're changing the subject and just making shit up now

You are lying. You've mentioned positioning in other games, which is also crucial in many AOD fights. You mentioned other games having guns, magic and bows (which AOD has) without specifically saying how those add to the tactical options of the game. Magic is a little obvious but even then it depends on the game.

You have not, and now it is obvious that you will not, name one feature present in another game that is not present in AOD while explaining how that feature makes the game in question more tactical.

Last edited:

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

You are lying. You've mentioned positioning in other games, which is also crucial in many AOD fights. You mentioned other games having guns, magic and bows (which AOD has) without specifically saying how those add to the tactical options of the game. Magic is a little obvious but even then it depends on the game.

You have not, and now it is obvious that you will not, name one feature present in another game that is not present in AOD while explaining how that feature makes the game in question more tactical.
In other games you control more than one character and have to utilize positioning and ability management, which means it's more complex, in aod you pick 1 combat skill and you use one of 5 moves throughout the entire game, with a sword playthrough, you use fast attack for 90 percent of the game, that has less depth than managing multiple characters and abilities, especially in the systems of PoE and wasteland 2

And if we want to talk about a solo run in PoE or wasteland 2, you'll still have more abilities, and positioning will still be more important

AoD is a very simple game, some people like that, but don't insult our intelligence by saying it has more tactical depth than PoE and wasteland 2

Saduj

Arcane
In other games you control more than one character and have to utilize positioning and ability management, which means it's more complex, in aod you pick 1 combat skill and you use one of 5 moves throughout the entire game, with a sword playthrough, you use fast attack for 90 percent of the game, that has less depth than managing multiple characters and abilities, especially in the systems of PoE and wasteland 2

Full party control is generally more "tactical" but that criticism applies to every single player game and your gripe seems to be AOD specific.

I'm calling total bullshit on "ability management". Since you refuse to talk in specifics, I'll go by what "abilities" are in most games. In most games, "abilities" are special options that are clearly superior to regular attacks and "when to use them" is as soon as the ability is available. There is no decision to make. If you can use an ability, you do. The only choice is who to target. In AOD, there are more types of attacks than in most games, they all offer trade offs, and they are available every turn so the decision is there every turn. And if you are using fast attack 90% of the time, you aren't very good at the game.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

Full party control is generally more "tactical" but that criticism applies to every single player game and your gripe seems to be AOD specific.

I'm calling total bullshit on "ability management". Since you refuse to talk in specifics, I'll go by what "abilities" are in most games. In most games, "abilities" are special options that are clearly superior to regular attacks and "when to use them" is as soon as the ability is available. There is no decision to make. If you can use an ability, you do. The only choice is who to target. In AOD, there are more types of attacks than in most games, they all offer trade offs, and they are available every turn so the decision is there every turn. And if you are using fast attack 90% of the time, you aren't very good at the game.
There is no bullshit to call, a solo cipher has more tactical depth than anything aod offers, fast attack is your best option as a sword character, especially when you face no name bandits with 10 dodge

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Ah yes. The bandits with 10 dodge have made their return. It didn't take long to forget that a dev flat out contradicted you on this nonsense, eh?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Ah yes. The bandits with 10 dodge have made their return. It didn't take long to forget that a dev flat out contradicted you on this nonsense, eh?
It's a joke, but the fact remains no name bandits seem to make my fast attacks only hit 70 percent of the time

If the dev could graciously tell us what some of the Dodge values of common grunts are then I'd stop saying it, but I found they were often at my skill level or above it in some cases despite being some fucktard gimp lackey

Saduj

Arcane
a solo cipher has more tactical depth than anything aod offers

I haven't played that game so the only way I'd know is if someone was able to explain how this is true. Not holding my breath.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
a solo cipher has more tactical depth than anything aod offers

I haven't played that game so the only way I'd know is if someone was able to explain how this is true. Not holding my breath.
Ciphers have a lot of debuff abilities, can use ranged and melee attacks, also PoE is rtwp, so it kind of goes without saying your positioning will be more important

Saduj

Arcane
Ok, and AOD characters have debuff attacks, both with and without using items, and can use ranged and melee attacks. Even a character with no points in ranged combat can deal damage at range with consumables.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Ok, and AOD characters have debuff attacks, both with and without using items, and can use ranged and melee attacks. Even a character with no points in ranged combat can deal damage at range with consumables.
And I'm saying PoE still has more complexity

Saduj

Arcane
Not gonna play the original. A RTWP game has to have some really special appeal for me to bother. I've considered trying Deadfire and still might. Playing Xenonauts currently (which has very good turn based tactical combat if that is what you're looking for BTW). Then it will be on to Stygian (already bought) and Disco Elysium when it comes out......

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You’re equating variety with complexity and then equating complexity with depth. But variety =/= complexity =/= depth. They may be related, but they’re not the same.

For example, you can use many types of swords or axes or spears or maces in POE. Variety! But your weapon type doesn’t make much difference—a swordsman in POE plays the same as a spearman. This is variety without complexity or depth. That’s emphatically not the case in AOD, which you can see for yourself if you try playing it with an axe or a spear or a hammer instead of a sword.

If you’re gonna criticize AOD’s combat, how about playing the damn tutorial first? You keep bitching about enemies with high dodge... did you try attacking their legs? Just keep aiming at their legs until you stack enough dodge debuffs to get your THC up. It’s hard to take someone seriously when they clearly don’t know the system, especially when—as you pointed out—the system isn’t that complicated.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

You’re equating variety with complexity and then equating complexity with depth. But variety =/= complexity =/= depth. They may be related, but they’re not the same.

For example, you can use many types of swords or axes or spears or maces in POE. Variety! But your weapon type doesn’t make much difference—a swordsman in POE plays the same as a spearman. This is variety without complexity or depth. That’s emphatically not the case in AOD, which you can see for yourself if you try playing it with an axe or a spear or a hammer instead of a sword.

If you’re gonna criticize AOD’s combat, how about playing the damn tutorial first? You keep bitching about enemies with high dodge... did you try attacking their legs? Just keep aiming at their legs until you stack enough dodge debuffs to get your THC up. It’s hard to take someone seriously when they clearly don’t know the system, especially when—as you pointed out—the system isn’t that complicated.
PoE not only has more effects, debuffs, and defense types, and unique weapons that have special abilities, and weapon types and abilities, and you can use ranged weapons and melee weapons on the same character, it has more depth and complexity in every area

AoD is a more simplistic game, this is an objective fact, you literally cant deny factual information

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
you'll be relying on luck instead of tactics
no no, you'll be relying on luck instead of tactics.
What's your tactic, please explain how you approach fights with your melee and block character
Well, I play the fucking game. That's literally it. I make use of the fucking rules and resources given. Melee and block? Gratuitous use of EVERYTHING AVAILABLE like fire, boom-booms, big-shield-when-shot-at™, MASSIVE DAMAGE using [insert preferred weapon here] either through stats or skill, squeeze in as many non-combat as you think you can get away with, as per course, when ALL ELSE fails; re-roll <-- If this happens after 4+ hours of gameplay, that's on you. fuck you.

You read some of these posts, and you just have to ask yourself, are these people fucking serious? How can anyone be so stupid? Did they drop on their head as a child? Maybe they regularly drink from lead pipes or their house is slowly giving them CO2 poisoning. I just don't know any more. These posts have no rhyme or reason, they are simply dumb. The guys who make these posts are cowards. They know nothing about high powered cut-throat environments of the business world mirrored with a sublime combination of realism and artistic exaggeration into the game world. They are clueless, and still dare complain. Pride and no substance. They can't handle defeat, they are incapable of learning, how dare is there an internal game world logic present here? Why does my 4 int char not have the funny dumb lines like in fallout? Why is every single moronic decision not completely simulated and presented as a viable choice? How else am I meant to compare it to my own life and feel immersed? I just want to know if they were this stupid before their clueless parents had them vaccinated. I don't think so. Mental midgets who prefer the tedium of small animated legs clumsily making their way through the city instead of the patrician comfort of teleportation induced narrative tension. Don't even get me started on the camera. You dumb ass. You fool. You clown. Why does this game not work like a VR simulated reality piece from my wet dreams that are completely devoid of any design temperance or good taste? Just shut the fuck up. Stupid idiots. They are larpers. Playing the game for them doesn't mean engaging with the game world and system, it simply means a one way ticket to escapist lalaland where they are liberated from the necessity to think or engage with problems. They write lines and lines of text pointlessly. The only thing they learned from VD is the autistic style of line by line quoting. Have they ever heard of Hegel? No. The dialectical perfection of AoD is beyond these base animals. Have you killed the Zamedi demon, you pretentious idiot who sullies the name of his great game? Trick question, moron, he isn't a demon, in fact, it could be argued that the player character is the real demon, you just don't get that in other games. Listen to me, I have seen the inside of Meru's hidden library, there isn't even an achievement for that, it's a hidden reward for killing Meru after his mind got infected with foreign entities just like your own got infected with extreme levels of retardation. You cannot even begin to talk to me about this game. I know everything, and you know nothing. Why is there a lockpick check? You fucking moron. If you asked me this in real life I would have my boyfriend beat you to a pulp. I actually don't have a boyfriend but if I did I would have him do that. There should be more reactivity if you play a woman? Maybe true, but did you know that in the thieves guild quest in Teron, Cado berates you for being late if you stop by Linos to tell him about the heist and says he will never work with a woman again? Subtle, but realistic, men often complain to women about things they would tolerate from other men. That's what social reactivity is about, not dressing up in harem clothing to appease loser nerds who just want to have a quick wank before dying to the bossfight because they are too stupid to build their characters properly. Yes, there are proper ways to build your character? Don't like it? Go live in a conformist utopia, you absolute mongrel. That's how life works, you live or you lose, you figure out what is the correct path through. People who complain about this are probably the same sort of a troglodyte that studies STEM or CS as a westerner in the 21st century in hopes of getting a well paying job even though all of your fields are oversaturated and getting outsourced overseas. Go dagger and crit, grab some dodge, max one or two non combat skills. There. Your problems are solved. Moron. Don't ever complain about AoD again. I will kill you.

ok never mind don't feed the retard my bad

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
you'll be relying on luck instead of tactics
no no, you'll be relying on luck instead of tactics.
What's your tactic, please explain how you approach fights with your melee and block character
Well, I play the fucking game. That's literally it. I make use of the fucking rules and resources given. Melee and block? Gratuitous use of EVERYTHING AVAILABLE like fire, boom-booms, big-shield-when-shot-at™, MASSIVE DAMAGE using [insert preferred weapon here] either through stats or skill, squeeze in as many non-combat as you think you can get away with, as per course, when ALL ELSE fails; re-roll <-- If this happens after 4+ hours of gameplay, that's on you. fuck you.

You read some of these posts, and you just have to ask yourself, are these people fucking serious? How can anyone be so stupid? Did they drop on their head as a child? Maybe they regularly drink from lead pipes or their house is slowly giving them CO2 poisoning. I just don't know any more. These posts have no rhyme or reason, they are simply dumb. The guys who make these posts are cowards. They know nothing about high powered cut-throat environments of the business world mirrored with a sublime combination of realism and artistic exaggeration into the game world. They are clueless, and still dare complain. Pride and no substance. They can't handle defeat, they are incapable of learning, how dare is there an internal game world logic present here? Why does my 4 int char not have the funny dumb lines like in fallout? Why is every single moronic decision not completely simulated and presented as a viable choice? How else am I meant to compare it to my own life and feel immersed? I just want to know if they were this stupid before their clueless parents had them vaccinated. I don't think so. Mental midgets who prefer the tedium of small animated legs clumsily making their way through the city instead of the patrician comfort of teleportation induced narrative tension. Don't even get me started on the camera. You dumb ass. You fool. You clown. Why does this game not work like a VR simulated reality piece from my wet dreams that are completely devoid of any design temperance or good taste? Just shut the fuck up. Stupid idiots. They are larpers. Playing the game for them doesn't mean engaging with the game world and system, it simply means a one way ticket to escapist lalaland where they are liberated from the necessity to think or engage with problems. They write lines and lines of text pointlessly. The only thing they learned from VD is the autistic style of line by line quoting. Have they ever heard of Hegel? No. The dialectical perfection of AoD is beyond these base animals. Have you killed the Zamedi demon, you pretentious idiot who sullies the name of his great game? Trick question, moron, he isn't a demon, in fact, it could be argued that the player character is the real demon, you just don't get that in other games. Listen to me, I have seen the inside of Meru's hidden library, there isn't even an achievement for that, it's a hidden reward for killing Meru after his mind got infected with foreign entities just like your own got infected with extreme levels of retardation. You cannot even begin to talk to me about this game. I know everything, and you know nothing. Why is there a lockpick check? You fucking moron. If you asked me this in real life I would have my boyfriend beat you to a pulp. I actually don't have a boyfriend but if I did I would have him do that. There should be more reactivity if you play a woman? Maybe true, but did you know that in the thieves guild quest in Teron, Cado berates you for being late if you stop by Linos to tell him about the heist and says he will never work with a woman again? Subtle, but realistic, men often complain to women about things they would tolerate from other men. That's what social reactivity is about, not dressing up in harem clothing to appease loser nerds who just want to have a quick wank before dying to the bossfight because they are too stupid to build their characters properly. Yes, there are proper ways to build your character? Don't like it? Go live in a conformist utopia, you absolute mongrel. That's how life works, you live or you lose, you figure out what is the correct path through. People who complain about this are probably the same sort of a troglodyte that studies STEM or CS as a westerner in the 21st century in hopes of getting a well paying job even though all of your fields are oversaturated and getting outsourced overseas. Go dagger and crit, grab some dodge, max one or two non combat skills. There. Your problems are solved. Moron. Don't ever complain about AoD again. I will kill you.
The point was, aod has less depth than the games politician cited, so I'm sorry for your autistic outburst, but games like PoE and wasteland 2 require more tactics, while aod requires specific min maxing

Saduj

Arcane
AoD is a more simplistic game, this is an objective fact, you literally cant deny factual information

Have you finished AOD and if so, with what weapons and have you played a dodge and a blocker? I've finished with hammer/block, sword/block x 3, axe/block, axe/dodge, throwing/dodge and dagger/dodge. Each one played differently. And even within each build there are weapon variations that matter.

I admit that I can't speak to POE because I have not played it. I get he sense that your experience with AOD is limited to one play through with sword/block and therefore you can't speak to "depth".

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Think of the many rpgs on the top 100 list that have melee, then think about if they have magic, then think about if they have guns, then think about if they have bows
So you're saying.............Arcanum has better combat than AoD?
:kingcomrade:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom