Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence is the best CRPG of the past 15 years

Father Foreskin

Learned
Where did I say the modders coded the base game or drew the original assets? The modders did design many new possibilities like the Drassen counter attack. Your menopausal blog tries to glorify the vanilla as some grand achievement, it was average

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The modders did design many new possibilities like the Drassen counter attack.

That's just encounter design. In his prime, Emmons could code STRATEGIC_EVENT_SEND_TROOPS_TO_DRASSEN overnight.

Your menopausal blog tries to glorify the vanilla as some grand achievement, it was average

It's my high-indexed write-up versus your shitpost lost in the shuffle. You will never gain traction with "Vanilla Jagged Alliance 2 is average." Not here, not anywhere. Nothing more needs to be said.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
AOD was a masochistic pile of flaming dog turd. Quite possibly the worst combat in any RPG I can remember, and the writing was borderline juvenile at times.
Translation: waaah the game doesn't allow me to go everywhere and do everything regardless of my build and the game isn't constantly patting me on the back with ego boosting dialogue about what a great hero I am.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
"muh combat is brootal and I died a lot. Also choices"

the claim that SINGLE CHARACTER turn based combat is "one of the most in-depth" is p. hilarious

Contagium

Savant
Patron
AOD was a masochistic pile of flaming dog turd. Quite possibly the worst combat in any RPG I can remember, and the writing was borderline juvenile at times.
Translation: waaah the game doesn't allow me to go everywhere and do everything regardless of my build and the game isn't constantly patting me on the back with ego boosting dialogue about what a great hero I am.

No, any game needing a disclaimer in the beginning saying you will die...a lot can't be taken seriously. A game designed to waste time doing scenarios over and over again isn't my idea of fun.

PrettyDeadman

Underrail is Goat.

How can Underrail be GOAT, when Jagged Alliance 2 exists?
JA2 isn't a fucking RPG.
Age of Decadence is neither. It's a visual novel / interactive cyoa. It should be compared to Saya no Uta, The Shivah or Planescape:Torment, not things like BG or TOEE.
I'd say it has less of an emotional impact than Saya no Uta on me personally even though it was a very enjoyable game. But being an enjoyable and fun experience is not enough to qualify for greatness.

Father Foreskin

Learned
1.13 makes the game far easier and is actually pretty gay. If you obsessively recommend it it's probably because you weren't able to finish vanilla and need all the extra merc skills and mountains of guns that 1.13 dumps in your lap.

I can agree the gun-glut makes the game easier. However you dont have to enable it.
That's just encounter design. In his prime, Emmons could code STRATEGIC_EVENT_SEND_TROOPS_TO_DRASSEN overnight.

It's my high-indexed write-up versus your shitpost lost in the shuffle. You will never gain traction with "Vanilla Jagged Alliance 2 is average." Not here, not anywhere. Nothing more needs to be said.

Im sure Emmons could code a lot of stuff. It isnt "just" encounter desing, it means a lot in tactical combat. I do think Drassen2 doesnt belong to the Vanilla, because the Drassen2 fight is actually pretty hard even with the gun glut and new merc skills.

Also im not trying to gain traction for my view, i have no bullshit blog to push on people. All im saying is Vanilla JA2 is average.

Zer0wing

Cipher
1.13 makes the game far easier and is actually pretty gay. If you obsessively recommend it it's probably because you weren't able to finish vanilla and need all the extra merc skills and mountains of guns that 1.13 dumps in your lap.
One must admit that 1.13 is good for casuals as an introduction for real good games if vanilla JA2 went over their heads. Incline should be spreaded, not gated by insecure elitism. Keep in mind who current developers nurtured as "modern gamer".

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Age of Decadence is the best computerized gamebook ever made...except for The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (2016) which is literally a computer translation of a gamebook and quite good in its own right.

I said not long after Age of Decadence was released that it probably had a good combat system but that it was largely wasted with just one player-character. The following year, the release of Dungeon Rats proved me right. The forthcoming Colony Ship game will likewise include a party rather than a solo player-character, so I have expectations that combat in this game will be substantially better than in its predecessor.

There are also indications that Vince learned from the lack of exploration in Age of Decadence beyond figuring out available options and routes through the game. Though I expect the Colony Ship game will still prove weak in this regard, it should be less so than its predecessor.

Age of Decadence excelled in the character-related aspects of RPG design (character customization, character progression, equipment, inventory), and it strove to fulfill its mission of offering extensive story-based "Choice & Consequences". It deserves to be remembered as a formidable experiment, and it might be better than any RPGs released in the wasteland era, but it certainly isn't the best RPG of the Age of semi-hemi-demi-Incline that began in 2012.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I could understand if you defended the 1.13 so rabidly, its maybe the best mod ever made. The Vanilla is average

I'll just quote my blog, shit-stain:

1.jpg
Anyone who gave this comment a negative rating should go and fuck himself. Sir-Tech made a fantastic game with the vanilla version, the mod is absolutely not needed for the game, but it certainly makes it even better obviously.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AoD was very poorly optimized. I could have done with the poor art, but the game just seemed like it was always skipping frames or missing textures. The camera was also a complete turn off, and the combat seemed average. One of these days I will find a way to play it, because as a story-fag I'm sure I'd love it, but it pales in comparison to Underrail.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Anyone who gave this comment a negative rating should go and fuck himself. Sir-Tech made a fantastic game with the vanilla version, the mod is absolutely not needed for the game, but it certainly makes it even better obviously.
I gave it a negative rating because it insults the proud Parrot people. :M +M:M

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I gave it a negative rating because it insults the proud Parrot people. :M +M:M
Alright, I give it a pass this time. :M

Egosphere

Arcane

No, any game needing a disclaimer in the beginning saying you will die...a lot can't be taken seriously.

Why? It spells it out for you from the get go: build a combat oriented build if you want to fight. It's literally put there to save you time.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Age of Decadence is the best computerized gamebook ever made...

I keep hearing this sentiment and I strongly disagree. It is slightly insulting to the game to compare it to a CYOA. It has C&C, it is simply not telling you to go to page 66 and then to page 86. The choices presented are actually building up a story. I think what you and others really mean when they say that it is a gamebook like experience is that the story is developed through dialogue and I see, frankly, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom