Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence is the best CRPG of the past 15 years

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I can get with that. The only game that felt like stealing and stealthing was satisfying was Thief for me. Most times thievery feels kind of gimmicky (the pickpocketing and such primarily) and tends to be more hassle than it's worth. So many RPGs tend to put thieves in the assassin style role by default where they can sneak up and get an insane backstab critical but don't really explore many things that would make them a thief.

The assassin style is "okay" but it feels like an easy way out for a class that can offer a totally different playstyle in and out of combat. I understand why they do it though since it'd be tons of work to really try and nail the feel of.

Personally, I liked Kingdom Come Deliverance's approach to stealing skills such as lockpicking and pickpocketing. It's probably my favourite in-game interpretation in quite a long time come to think of it.

Thieving was great in Skyrim as well. People who only play sword+shield characters and screamed "Skyrim combat suuuuuuucks" never figured out, but Skyrim has actually a great stealth implementation. Light matters, positioning matters, sound matters, positioning of sound matters. Exactly like Thief... Playing a stealthy thief/assassin with daggers only (get away from here, you stealth archer faggots, daggers or bust) is one of the most enjoyable steatlh experiences ever, in any game.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

You know, some people in this forum have a serious case of butthurt...

There only 2 reasons why anyone would disagree that Skyrim had great thieving gameplay:

a) He never properly played a thief build in skyrim

b) He is just a butthurt troll

There is no c. So you people either never played it, so you shouldn't comment on it, or you have, and you are just butthurt faggots. Take your pick.

It is amazing to me that in 2019 people still don't know Skyrim had awesome stealth gameplay. If you played like a shadow assassin and not like a broken smith+alchemy+enchanting demigod, then you would need to utilize shadow and sneak attacks to win. It is extremely rewarding, some of the missions were so awesome trying to be stealthy, never alerting anyone, and backstabing like a pro, distracting morons with arrows far away so they investigate the sound and split up, etc etc. Great gameplay.

Of course such great gameplay won't be recognized by people who hate video games and are just here to pretend to like niche 10 dollar rpgs...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Underrail and Original Sin addressed the "thievery as an unengaging reload-fest" problem, you don't have to look to real-time RPGs to find those who knew how to properly include thievery as an activity. :M

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Can someone please send this idiot to retardoland? He has nothing interesting to say and is always wasting everyone's time.

You know, i have already written plenty of paragraphs detailing why Skyrim has good stealth gameplay. On the other hand people who attack me never have anything of substance to say and justify their position.

I think by any normal standard of debate, i won.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can someone please send this idiot to retardoland? He has nothing interesting to say and is always wasting everyone's time.

You know, i have already written plenty of paragraphs detailing why Skyrim has good stealth gameplay. On the other hand people who attack me never have anything of substance to say and justify their position.

I think by any normal standard of debate, i won.

:hearnoevil:

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Far as I'm concerned if you can't do thieving skills and systems properly, you should not have stealth at all. And that applies to AoD as well as sadly most RPGs who just put the steal/sneak there and it just sits there being mostly useless.

And no, adding a skill check for steal in a scripted interaction is not a solution.

I have been trying to say this: It is finally about abstraction. If you are designing an FPS/TPS then yes, you are 100% right. There are no excuses for things like Alpha protocol invisible thief approach. The right answer is Thief. AoD is an abstraction of the thing based on skill checks. That is why it does not *need* to have explicit sneaking; you know, like in PnP. Just because Underrail does it, does not mean every other game needs to do it too. It is *good*, mind you, to have Underrail kind of approach, but not necessary. AoD does not deserve hate for that.

vota DC

Augur
Good stealth with bad/none thieving can still exists. An example is Jagged Alliance. Good thieving with bad stealth is rarer, I don't like much fallout thieving but reverse pickpocket concept is fun.

AoD serves as a fantastic example of why "C&C" has nothing to do with whether an RPG is good or not.

In c&c you can't kill the messiah (ask Hassan) in aod you can kill god.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Fun Fact:
AoD isn't an RPG, it's a CYOA game.

Why does it matter? It is still shit.

AoD serves as a fantastic example of why "C&C" has nothing to do with whether an RPG is good or not.

Yes. Other examples are Fallout 1 and 2, or Planescape Torment. The only good thing people really have to say about all these games is that they have good C&C. But C&C is not a definitive characteristic of RPGs. Adventure and other types of games can have C&C as well. C&C is always nice to have as it makes games feel more "rewarding and personal", but most of the time it is a cheap gimmick anyway. Most of the time they just change a few line of dialogue here and there or alter a few pictures at the end. Hardly something to get ecstatic about.

kaly

Barely Literate
Just started playing AoD, the only thing I can say so far is that the assassin faction questline is complete shit.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Just started playing AoD, the only thing I can say so far is that the assassin faction questline is complete shit.
I hated it at first but after several playthroughs I appreciate it a lot more. It has the most branching options, you can betray/side with a lot of characters and has some of the hardest fights in the game. I don't recommend it as a first timer because it's one of the most "hybrid" playthroughs, it involves some knowledge to fully enjoy

Thief and Merchant were the weakest ones for me

vota DC

Augur

I liked it, but they are brainless brutes, I expected something more subtle.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I hated it at first but after several playthroughs I appreciate it a lot more. It has the most branching options, you can betray/side with a lot of characters and has some of the hardest fights in the game. I don't recommend it as a first timer because it's one of the most "hybrid" playthroughs, it involves some knowledge to fully enjoy

Thief and Merchant were the weakest ones for me

even shit eating is an acquired taste...

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Fun Fact:
AoD isn't an RPG, it's a CYOA game.

Why does it matter? It is still shit.

Yes. Other examples are Fallout 1 and 2, or Planescape Torment. The only good thing people really have to say about all these games is that they have good C&C. But C&C is not a definitive characteristic of RPGs. Adventure and other types of games can have C&C as well. C&C is always nice to have as it makes games feel more "rewarding and personal", but most of the time it is a cheap gimmick anyway. Most of the time they just change a few line of dialogue here and there or alter a few pictures at the end. Hardly something to get ecstatic about.

I think fallout 1 and 2 are fun other then the cnc.

Maybe these games are a little too complicated for you?

Deleted Member 22431

Just reading your posts. You're extremely pretentious on one hand and trying way too hard on the other.
Do you think you can determine the character's traits of a person by reading a few posts? That's extremely pretentious. You barely know me.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Age of Decadence is a storyfag cRPG for grown-ups. It takes C&C and stats/skill checks seriously, punishes you for relying on cRPG cliches and still manage to provide some good combat on the side.

No offense mate, if that isn't pretentious I don't know what is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom