Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Decadence Post-Release Update #2

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Infinitron, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7059.0.html

• Brofist Brofist x 20
    ^ Top  
  2. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I am excited.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Thoroughly exciting. :bounce: AoD combat was weirdly fun, a party-based version of it sounds great.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Recently I have played AoD, it's been a long time since a play a game for hours without stop. By what I played on AoD only, I'll love their Dungeon Crawler. Dungeon Crawler is my favorite type of game, so I can trust VD is going to release a great game(Mostly because I love AoD's combat). Btw, is the game going to be first person or not?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    The dungeon crawler isn't a full-scale RPG. It's a 'while we're doing CSG pre-production' combat game that will use the existing assets and systems. Basically, AoD combat + party-based + more creatures, hence the low price-tag ($8).

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Viata Arcane

Viata
    :d1p:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  7. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Heh, I want to know what happens next now. Reading the updates will be painful and if AoD won't sell well enough and you will have to cancel my blood will boil.

Anyway, the premise looks great and this teaser is very mouthwatering but after such great game as AoD it will be very, very hard to reach that level again (not to mention surpass it). Hopefully you will succeed with Unreal engine so that more people will get interested - the graphics in AoD is the main deterrent for most people who assume that a game with such graphics will be amateurish in other aspects as well. But most of all, I hope it will take you no more than 5 years to complete and it will have as much content as AoD.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. kain30 Savant

kain30
    i´m eagerly awaiting for the colony ship RPG :)

^ Top  
  9. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    I'm aiming to learn from AoD mistakes and do much, much better (because those mistakes bug the hell out of me).

No more than 5 years. It's a promise.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  10. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Strange to see ship-made pistols having baroque ornaments like that, wouldn't it make more sense to make them look more efficient than beautiful?
    Or are you aiming at Arcanum/Vendigrothian designs for the game?

^ Top  
  11. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    The way I see, it's similar to the custom knives' industry. You have your cheap knives made by new guys who just learned how to grind, mid-range knives that offer good-high quality craftsmanship, and knives that cost over $3,000 made by true masters with a 5-year waiting list. A man with money in his pockets won't buy a cheap gun, but get himself a nice piece.

Coincidentally, the ornate handles are from a custom revolver:

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/55/lid/3479

[​IMG]
    ^ 1885

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Cazzeris Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    All this "crude, makeshift, rediscovered tech" stuff makes me wish the CSG ends up featuring some kind of crafting system. It just seems like the obvious thing to have.

Also, is the game going to have a graphic inventory screen a-la-AoD? If so, remember that a dynamic, Fallout-esque view of the weapons looks way better than a bland side-view of them.

^ Top  
  13. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    I'm not sure about a crafting system but we are open for suggestions. With AoD it made more sense as forging melee weapons is much easier than making guns. So the idea of you putting together an SMG out of some generic parts is kinda silly. We can take the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly route and let you swap barrels, triggers, cylinders, etc, which kind of makes sense and rewards exploration, but we haven't decided yet.

Yes.

^ Top  
  14. Cazzeris Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Well, that's what I was thinking about. In other RPGs featuring gun-smithing that has usually been the case, and while it's obvious that such a feature is a whole different beast compared to AoD's "low-tech" weapon-smithing system, there are other interesting things about it to take into account, such as jamming and gun maintenance, weapon modifiers (scopes, laser sights, augmentations regarding ammo capacity...) or even ways to optimize laser guns' efficiency. If it ended up well-tied to the game's trading system, then it could even add to the setting, which is the most important thing in a game like this one.

Take Arcanum, for example. In that game's world, technology was supposed to be an emergent "way of life", and as an RPG, it did well trying to let the player create a character that could be played around it gameplay-wise (and reactivity-wise). If the CSG is going to have people who make a living with these makeshift-weapons, then it only seems like a good idea to let the player be a part of that.

^ Top  
  15. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    KOTOR2-like crafting would work well then. It was possible to make some simple weapons and upgrade them, but the core was finding and crafting parts and putting them into uniques you found.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Viata Arcane

Viata
    There's also the possibility of making your own ammo. Seems more plausible to make ammo out of some generic parts than a gun.

^ Top  
  17. PeachPlumage Cipher

PeachPlumage
    Can't wait to catch VD while dungeon crawling in this. :d1p:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    I'd like some serious modification of AoD sim mechanics for new games. I think it was a good system for that game but I don't think you've struck upon the one true RPG combat system or anything, and frankly in a single player game it's almost always more fun to learn a system as you play. Like, make the wounding system work differently, make DT work differently, new cover, new movement, etc.

I like the idea of "CNC-machine-built guns by people that don't know how guns are supposed to work." You could easily do stuff like make the (genius-built) PC be the John Browning or Kalashnikov of the setting if you want crafting - they didn't make M1911s out of mithril or something.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    All systems (character, combat, inventory, etc) will be heavily modified or changed.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Are there any plans for AoD 2?

^ Top  
  21. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    If you want to carve something, be it wood or innards, with that knife, functionally the mastersmith's blade is just as good as the mid-tier one of similar specs. Even if it looks much cooler. Same with guns, ornaments don't make the aim or reliability any better. Correlation between aesthetics and functionality is pretty small, one smith focuses on the former and another on the latter.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    There's more to it than carving something once or twice. Here is how Bo Randall's knives came to fame:

http://www.randallknives.com/randall-history/

"It was a terrible thing at close range. (Your knife) would cut a man's head nearly off with a quick swing... I also used that knife to open cans, cut wood, ..."

And I didn't say that the ornaments make knives or guns better. Many people tend to decorate rare and valuable weapons, especially those built with skill and precision, so a $300-500 engraving tells you that it's not a $200 knife.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    If we stay in business and get to revisit the AoD world, we'll set the sequel on another continent and give you an opportunity to explore the Qantari culture, see how their fared and what they are up to.

You'd join an expedition sent by House Aurelian shortly before the events of the first game. As in AoD, you'd be able to pick from different backgrounds: a praetor representing House Aurelian, a thief chained to the galley, a merchant representing the Commercium and tasked with establishing a trading outpost, a merc hired to protect the expedition (one of many, of course), a Boatmen assigned to the praetor, etc.

However, unlike the colony ship RPG, whether or not another AoD game ever sees the light of day depends on how well AoD sells as there's no reason to make a sequel to a game that barely sold enough to keep us afloat.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    How far in the future is the Colony game gonna be? Are there to be no futuristic weaponry? and/or technology like robots n shit.

^ Top  
  25. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Far enough but the ship's tech is somewhat limited (it's a retrofitted cargo ship, not a state-of-the-art colony ship). So things that were manufactured on Earth are fairly high tech, like energy weapons, but few are in good condition. Things that were manufactured long after the mutiny are fairly simple.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.