Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Post-Release Update #2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7059.0.html
Random tidbits:

AoD:

As of today, we sold over 30,000 copies and our future looks a bit brighter. It's not a success story yet, but it's not a horrible failure either, and when it comes to indie RPGs the latter is a far more likely outcome as it's getting increasingly hard to gain visibility. Not complaining but stating the obvious.

Updates:

Right now we're still working on the endgame improvements. I do agree that the ending is too abrupt and has to be expanded, both in terms of options and scope:

1. An NPC/optional combat in the temple - done
2. Traveling with a lord and his men to the temple, featuring enemy patrols, Aurelian attempts to destroy locations leading to it, like blowing up Hellgate, zealots looking for the temple, Neleos, etc) - need about a month to do it right.
3. "The Battle of the Five Armies" - work in progress but probably not in the next update
4. The Rise of the Chosen One - work in progress
5. Individual Endings - work in progress.

Dungeon Crawler:

First, I want to set the expectations straight as some people are wondering if it's going to be like Legends of Grimrock or Icewind Dale. It will be a combat-heavy game for people who like our combat system and want to see it in a party-based setup. It will be an inexpensive game (around $8) so don't expect a full-scale RPG there.

Basically, you'll start the game at the bottom of a prison mine and will have to recruit other prisoners and fight your way out. Probably 40-50 fights in total. There will be new creatures as well. Here is what Ivan is working on right now:

125327.gif

Colony Ship RPG

While it's way too early to talk about it (as in 'I don't have time to write down a lengthy post introducing and properly explaining the concept'), here are some things for your amusement.

5) FIREARMS

All firearms are ship-made; most are crude, angular weapons. It’s a 'rediscovered' tech (we all know what flintlock weapons are but we don’t make them, so if we have to start making them again, we’ll have to rediscover the tech we’re vaguely familiar with).

They have relatively low accuracy but most firearms tend to be multi-shot weapons (either more barrels or revolving cylinders or burst). They are made by various smiths for the militia and 'adventurers', so they vary in form and style.

- Pistols use powerful 0.45 ammo but most are single-shot guns. More advanced models add more barrels or revolving action.
- SMG use cheap 9mm and have burst mode.
- Shotguns use cartridges and have the widest spread.

We can consider ammo variations within each class but it’s not necessary as 3 different types are more than enough.

6) ENERGY

Energy weapons are Earth-made. Since they have no recoil, large stock isn’t necessary, so where the firearms and crude and angular, the energy weapons are elegant and curved (think flintlocks).

They are single shot weapons that are extremely accurate but slow to fire. They use energy cells (one ammo type for all weapons) that are very rare. Some places sell re-charged cells but they are less effective.

- Pistols
- Rifles have the longest range and best accuracy; the sniper’s weapon
- Cannons (weapons that were mounted on mechs); consume an entire cell when fired.

Mazin is working on the pistols (firearms) at the moment:

CSG_pistols_01_zpse3r1nljz.jpg

And the game's intro to set up the mood:

You open your eyes to a grey hull-metal ceiling, one panel of which flickers yellow, indicating dayshift. You overslept, not that it matters. With a grunt you roll off your stained mattress and open the "window" to let some fresh air in. Like everything else around here, fresh is relative. The Ship does Her best to recycle air and water, but cargo holds aren’t high on Her priority list. You breathe in metal and burning oil and look up. Four of the bridge's six projectors are still operational, shining dully down on the container towers of Cargo Hold 3, aka the Pit, the free city.

Calling the Pit a city is a bit of a stretch, but so is calling this reddish-brown liquid water. You've read that water is supposed to be clear and cities are supposed to be big, but no ship-born has ever seen either. Maybe in another hundred years water will look and taste like oil and people will be talking about the good old days when it was the color of rust and tasted refreshingly bitter and tangy. That's the kind of optimism that keeps you going.

The elevator crawls up a groove in the cargo hold's wall like a black steel bug that's worn a path traveling to the bridge and back. It’s time to get up there and earn a few coins, but first you need a drink.

Make your way to the local bar.

The Ship provides breathable air, water, and N-tabs – your daily source of recycled nutrients and minerals, pressed into chewable tablets. They taste like cardboard but they are free. If you prefer finer things in life, like synthetic meat served with a side of algae, you have to pay.

The Ship never served alcohol – the Forefathers frowned upon such things and did their best to discourage drinking, but everyone’s favorite vice made a triumphant return in no time. Each bar has its own secret recipe, each more awful than the other.

The bartender gives you a nod and pours black, oily liquid into a beaten metal mug. You take a careful swallow, fighting your body’s desperate attempt to get rid of the poison, and wait for the familiar warmth to spread through you and make the world a slightly better place.

Continue.

The bar isn’t busy this time of day, making it easy to spot people who come here to conduct “business”. Tanner, the local hustler, is moving from one patron to another. Evans, a cheap gun for hire, seems to be waiting for someone. You hire him, you get what you paid for. Platt’s a doc. His hands shake too much when he’s sober, so he keeps himself well lubricated.

“I have a job for you, <charname>,” says Tanner, making himself comfortable on a nearby chair and putting on airs. “Interested?”
“What kind of job?”
“An easy one.”

He pulls out a plastic card from his sleeve and slides it toward you. The card is old and worn out, the letters faded a long time ago, but you don’t need to read what it says to know what it is.

So you'll start the game at the Pit - lawless but free 'container city', think Deadwood, then start exploring the ship, eventually making your way to the Three Cities (the residential deck split into 3 'cities') and exploring different societies created after the mutiny. Other notable locations include the mutants' town, out of control aeroponics, a breached hull, the shuttle deck, maintenance tunnels, etc.

Starting the game as a 'freeman' will allow you to explore these societies and beliefs with fresh eyes without having to fake amnesia. "Tell me more about this White Christ character!"

Anyway, stay tuned for more.

Viata

Arcane
Recently I have played AoD, it's been a long time since a play a game for hours without stop. By what I played on AoD only, I'll love their Dungeon Crawler. Dungeon Crawler is my favorite type of game, so I can trust VD is going to release a great game(Mostly because I love AoD's combat). Btw, is the game going to be first person or not?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The dungeon crawler isn't a full-scale RPG. It's a 'while we're doing CSG pre-production' combat game that will use the existing assets and systems. Basically, AoD combat + party-based + more creatures, hence the low price-tag ($8).

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
He pulls out a plastic card from his sleeve and slides it toward you. The card is old and worn out, the letters faded a long time ago, but you don’t need to read what it says to know what it is.
Heh, I want to know what happens next now. Reading the updates will be painful and if AoD won't sell well enough and you will have to cancel my blood will boil.

Anyway, the premise looks great and this teaser is very mouthwatering but after such great game as AoD it will be very, very hard to reach that level again (not to mention surpass it). Hopefully you will succeed with Unreal engine so that more people will get interested - the graphics in AoD is the main deterrent for most people who assume that a game with such graphics will be amateurish in other aspects as well. But most of all, I hope it will take you no more than 5 years to complete and it will have as much content as AoD.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Anyway, the premise looks great and this teaser is very mouthwatering but after such great game as AoD it will be very, very hard to reach that level again (not to mention surpass it).
I'm aiming to learn from AoD mistakes and do much, much better (because those mistakes bug the hell out of me).

Hopefully you will succeed with Unreal engine so that more people will get interested - the graphics in AoD is the main deterrent for most people who assume that a game with such graphics will be amateurish in other aspects as well. But most of all, I hope it will take you no more than 5 years to complete and it will have as much content as AoD.
No more than 5 years. It's a promise.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Strange to see ship-made pistols having baroque ornaments like that, wouldn't it make more sense to make them look more efficient than beautiful?
Or are you aiming at Arcanum/Vendigrothian designs for the game?

Vault Dweller

Developer
The way I see, it's similar to the custom knives' industry. You have your cheap knives made by new guys who just learned how to grind, mid-range knives that offer good-high quality craftsmanship, and knives that cost over $3,000 made by true masters with a 5-year waiting list. A man with money in his pockets won't buy a cheap gun, but get himself a nice piece.

Coincidentally, the ornate handles are from a custom revolver:

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/55/lid/3479

MKZ112-S-F1-H.jpg

^ 1885

Cazzeris

All this "crude, makeshift, rediscovered tech" stuff makes me wish the CSG ends up featuring some kind of crafting system. It just seems like the obvious thing to have.

Also, is the game going to have a graphic inventory screen a-la-AoD? If so, remember that a dynamic, Fallout-esque view of the weapons looks way better than a bland side-view of them.

Vault Dweller

Developer
All this "crude, makeshift, rediscovered tech" stuff makes me wish the CSG ends up featuring some kind of crafting system. It just seems like the obvious thing to have.
I'm not sure about a crafting system but we are open for suggestions. With AoD it made more sense as forging melee weapons is much easier than making guns. So the idea of you putting together an SMG out of some generic parts is kinda silly. We can take the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly route and let you swap barrels, triggers, cylinders, etc, which kind of makes sense and rewards exploration, but we haven't decided yet.

Also, is the game going to have a graphic inventory screen a-la-AoD? If so, remember that a dynamic, Fallout-esque view of the weapons looks way better than a bland side-view of them.
Yes.

Cazzeris

I'm not sure about a crafting system but we are open for suggestions. With AoD it made more sense as forging melee weapons is much easier than making guns. So the idea of you putting together an SMG out of some generic parts is kinda silly. We can take the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly route and let you swap barrels, triggers, cylinders, etc, which kind of makes sense and rewards exploration, but we haven't decided yet.

Well, that's what I was thinking about. In other RPGs featuring gun-smithing that has usually been the case, and while it's obvious that such a feature is a whole different beast compared to AoD's "low-tech" weapon-smithing system, there are other interesting things about it to take into account, such as jamming and gun maintenance, weapon modifiers (scopes, laser sights, augmentations regarding ammo capacity...) or even ways to optimize laser guns' efficiency. If it ended up well-tied to the game's trading system, then it could even add to the setting, which is the most important thing in a game like this one.

Take Arcanum, for example. In that game's world, technology was supposed to be an emergent "way of life", and as an RPG, it did well trying to let the player create a character that could be played around it gameplay-wise (and reactivity-wise). If the CSG is going to have people who make a living with these makeshift-weapons, then it only seems like a good idea to let the player be a part of that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
We can take the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly route and let you swap barrels, triggers, cylinders, etc, which kind of makes sense and rewards exploration
KOTOR2-like crafting would work well then. It was possible to make some simple weapons and upgrade them, but the core was finding and crafting parts and putting them into uniques you found.

Mozg

Arcane
I'd like some serious modification of AoD sim mechanics for new games. I think it was a good system for that game but I don't think you've struck upon the one true RPG combat system or anything, and frankly in a single player game it's almost always more fun to learn a system as you play. Like, make the wounding system work differently, make DT work differently, new cover, new movement, etc.

I like the idea of "CNC-machine-built guns by people that don't know how guns are supposed to work." You could easily do stuff like make the (genius-built) PC be the John Browning or Kalashnikov of the setting if you want crafting - they didn't make M1911s out of mithril or something.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'd like some serious modification of AoD sim mechanics for new games. I think it was a good system for that game but I don't think you've struck upon the one true RPG combat system or anything, and frankly in a single player game it's almost always more fun to learn a system as you play. Like, make the wounding system work differently, make DT work differently, new cover, new movement, etc.
All systems (character, combat, inventory, etc) will be heavily modified or changed.

Johannes

Arcane
The way I see, it's similar to the custom knives' industry. You have your cheap knives made by new guys who just learned how to grind, mid-range knives that offer good-high quality craftsmanship, and knives that cost over $3,000 made by true masters with a 5-year waiting list. A man with money in his pockets won't buy a cheap gun, but get himself a nice piece.
If you want to carve something, be it wood or innards, with that knife, functionally the mastersmith's blade is just as good as the mid-tier one of similar specs. Even if it looks much cooler. Same with guns, ornaments don't make the aim or reliability any better. Correlation between aesthetics and functionality is pretty small, one smith focuses on the former and another on the latter.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
There's more to it than carving something once or twice. Here is how Bo Randall's knives came to fame:

http://www.randallknives.com/randall-history/

"It was a terrible thing at close range. (Your knife) would cut a man's head nearly off with a quick swing... I also used that knife to open cans, cut wood, ..."

And I didn't say that the ornaments make knives or guns better. Many people tend to decorate rare and valuable weapons, especially those built with skill and precision, so a $300-500 engraving tells you that it's not a $200 knife.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Are there any plans for AoD 2?
If we stay in business and get to revisit the AoD world, we'll set the sequel on another continent and give you an opportunity to explore the Qantari culture, see how their fared and what they are up to.

You'd join an expedition sent by House Aurelian shortly before the events of the first game. As in AoD, you'd be able to pick from different backgrounds: a praetor representing House Aurelian, a thief chained to the galley, a merchant representing the Commercium and tasked with establishing a trading outpost, a merc hired to protect the expedition (one of many, of course), a Boatmen assigned to the praetor, etc.

However, unlike the colony ship RPG, whether or not another AoD game ever sees the light of day depends on how well AoD sells as there's no reason to make a sequel to a game that barely sold enough to keep us afloat.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
How far in the future is the Colony game gonna be? Are there to be no futuristic weaponry? and/or technology like robots n shit.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Far enough but the ship's tech is somewhat limited (it's a retrofitted cargo ship, not a state-of-the-art colony ship). So things that were manufactured on Earth are fairly high tech, like energy weapons, but few are in good condition. Things that were manufactured long after the mutiny are fairly simple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom