Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Post-Release Update #2

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So will AoD get a playable epilogue sort of thing?
More specifically?

I suppose there will be no unarmed attacks in the colony ship either? Not that I'm complaining, but damn did I freak out when I was unarmed in AoD a couple of times.
No but there will be push daggers and gloves.

Mind sharing what goes into a "pre-production" phase, VD?
If we were to ditch the crawler and start working on the CSG right away, we won't have much. Nick (the programmer) needs to have a detailed systems doc (character, combat, inventory, etc). Oscar needs to have an overview of all areas to start putting them together (both concept art and quest design). Ivan needs to have a list of all animations and non-human characters (robots, turrets, mutants and such). So that's what Mazin and I are working on. He's doing items and locations, I'm doing the rest.

So far we have the first pass of the character, combat, and dialogue systems, pretty good setting overview (starting with the departure), a list of locations with details, and very rough main quest draft. At the moment 80% of my time is spent on AoD (with the occasional Witcher 3 shenanigans), so the progress is slow. The goal is to have all systems, locations, and quests (but not the writing) done by the end of 2016.

Will this happens while Dellar is inside the mine(which we could meet him there) or he already leave it?
No. Most likely it will be set after the escape, which will explain more guards and better security.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Will the game have any factions inspired by the unsurpassed Brian Reynold's Alpha Centauri 4x game (and PnP setting)?

gurps3.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
Will the game have any factions inspired by the unsurpassed Brian Reynold's Alpha Centauri 4x game (and PnP setting)?
No.

These factions made sense in AC because the ship arrived without any issues and setbacks (the drama at the end was to introduce the factions and explain different starting locations) and the faction split was due to different opinions on how to proceed. In our game the split is due to different opinions on how to live on the ship that might never arrive to the destination.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Not sure you saw this post:

AoD dialogue system has two main flaws:

- it's passive, you either have the skill or you don't
- you do nothing but level up and select lines that match your highest skill; the other lines are flavor, basically.

So to improve we need to:
- give you the tools to modify the checks by paying attention to what the man says and actually thinking of what to "say"
- use the skills to modify the checks (not to pass them) and get rid of tags. Basically, first you talk and learn more about your "opponent". Stats and skills can help you unlock more topics to learn more. Then you "make your case" and select whichever lines you think would make a stronger case. The outcomes will be modified by what you said before (we tried that in AoD to get a feel of how it works, like talking to the praetor investigating Senna's murder) and your skills, thus it can differ from one playthrough to the next.

It does make sense in theory, whether or not it will actually work remains to be seen.

I saw it. I was just trying to flesh out the general idea with pratical suggestions.

Johannes

Arcane
1.When does it take place-time frame wise-in comparison to the main game?
Before the events of the main game.

2. How will equipment quality/levels work, since you are a prisoner?
Obviously, metal armor and weapons can't just lie around, so we need a substitute. I'm thinking killing monsters and scavenging their hides for the armor, looting bits and pieces of iron and steel to forge weapons. There will be optional nests with extra loot as well as a pre-war facility with some constructs that can be dismantled for metal, possibly repaired and recruited to the party.

3.Will there be shops or a monetary system (ore?)
No.
How does having a forge available fit to the storyline?

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's a mine and the prisoners need to be able to fix the mining equipment and forge crude protection against the creatures. Since the lower levels don't have access to steel, it's not something the guards are overly concerned about.

ColCol

Arcane
It's a mine and the prisoners need to be able to fix the mining equipment and forge crude protection against the creatures. Since the lower levels don't have access to steel, it's not something the guards are overly concerned about.

Will crossbows be available?

anus_pounder

Arcane

Will crossbows be available?

With the success of AoD, VD will be taking a few pages from Bethesda to corner a larger share of the market. Namely, he'll be removing throwing weapons, spears and crossbows like in the GotY Oblivion. :troll:

ColCol

Arcane
So, Vault Dweller, back to the Colony ship game. I'm curious about the smg weapon type. The weapon type seem strange for two reasons

1.A burst fire weapon seems more complex that the other revolver/multi-barreled focused kinetic weapon types.
2. Weapon tiers. A first tier pistol seems like a dinky zip gun. How would a first tier smg compare? Can something be burst fire and be that haphazardly made? What about power discrepancy?

Also, another question(s)

How will melee fit into the game? Will I be able to build a melee focused character?

Thanks for your help with these questions. I am really looking forward to this game.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
So, Vault Dweller, back to the Colony ship game. I'm curious about the smg weapon type. The weapon type seem strange for two reasons

1.A burst fire weapon seems more complex that the other revolver/multi-barreled focused kinetic weapon types.
2. Weapon tiers. A first tier pistol seems like a dinky zip gun. How would a first tier smg compare? Can something be burst fire and be that haphazardly made? What about power discrepancy?

If you don't mind me addressing your question, this is what I'd imagine a first tier SMG to look like. SMGs should be part of the next update in a couple of weeks.

point_of_max_recoil-1024x628.jpg

Also, another question(s)

How will melee fit into the game? Will I be able to build a melee focused character?
That's the plan. Melee would be a more reliable damage dealer, compared to the unreliable and resource reliant nature of firearms in the setting.

Vault Dweller

Developer

We aren't talking about someone inventing SMGs in, say, 17th century. We are talking about people going back to less advanced, long forgotten (the way flintlocks are forgotten now) tech. So to figure out what's possible we're looking at recent conflicts and 'homemade' weapons:

https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/...bmachine-guns-part-7-chechen-rebel-made-borz/

chechensmgs-improguns.jpg

At the same time there are plenty of crappy, less sophisticated guns like:

11.jpg
1-1.jpg

So it depends on the skills of the maker, not the overall tech level. Crappy weapons can easily co-exist with more complex ones (talking about the 'homemade' weapons here) in the same conflict or timeframe.

Yes. So far we're planning to have a fairly wide assortment of melee weapons:

- fist (knuckles, push daggers, gloves)
- blunt (pipes, makeshift clubs, hammers)
- bladed (knives, machetes, axes)

The melee weapons will range from crude to Earth-made. No proton axes and such, but proper 'modern' designs:

spyderco-2015-szabohawk-h01-axe-266x300.jpg
012010od_RescueAxe02.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
Any plans to add aimed: eyes to the dungeon crawler? Please? Pretty please? :);):love:
Adding more attacks is easy (provided they don't require programming changes), so we will definitely consider Codex suggestions. At the same time we don't want to have a long list of similar attacks, so what would be the difference between aimed:head and aimed:eyes?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adding more attacks is easy (provided they don't require programming changes), so we will definitely consider Codex suggestions.
How about a hilt-smashing move that reduces the AP of your opponent for a turn? Not as resource heavy as knockdown, but has its use in a pinch.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Vault Dweller

Aimed: eyes would be a more agressive arterial strike. 10% extra thc penalty on top of arterial strike's regular penalty. This attack also grants a CS bonus similar to power attacks. Because you're looking to stab a guy through his helmet's visor, it makes sense that this attack is easier to avoid (large THC penalty) but if he fails to avoid it will probably REK him (bonus CS chance).

The effect would be partial DR bypass on the head (like aimed: torso, but for the head) on regular hits and bleeding + perception penalty on critical hit (arterial strike cs + PER penalty). Regular attack: your attack struck him through his visor, but your blow only slashes around his eyes. Critical hit: glorious eyestabbing!

This attack would only be available for weapons that are capable of delivering arterial strikes. You would use it against people with strong helmets (attic or better), strong armor (which makes it better than aimed: torso or power attack) and crap defense. Aka Widowmaker.

See, I'm not suggesting random stuff, I thought this through. :D:P

Looking forward to shoving a two handed spear through someone's eye socket! :incline::incline::incline::love:

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Apparently. Seemed like a popular design:

enhanced-buzz-3543-1356026613-7.jpg

A pair of duel pistols for distinguished gentlemen:

home-made-pistols.gif

From Brazil with love:

multibarrelshotgun-improguns.jpg

^ A six barreled 12 gauge shotgun seized in Rondonia State, Brazil. The gang’s initials (CVRJ) are painted on the stock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom