Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Infinitron, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The soundtrack is indeed something special, I've had it playing on loop in my head since I've started playing a week ago. I heard the remastered version, but eeeeehhhhh.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    So Lacrymas did you try it out on win7? The second game is better in every aspect except whololooo,but still it is a nice game to replay once a decade.

^ Top  
  3. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I haven't tried it because I have to set up a VPN here to ...demo it. I'll try it when (if) I go to Bulgaria.

^ Top  
  4. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    ahh you could use thor,it is easier than vpn.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    What's that?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    The browser used for a deep web diving.

https://www.torproject.org/download/

That said i have no idea how german system is set up. Don't know if your dostavchik knows or cares about your traffic.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Desmodus Rotundus Augur

Desmodus Rotundus
    Anyone watched the Hidden Cup 3, that just ended? 16 best AOE2 players competing under pseudonyms and people guessing who's who. Had over 50k viewers on twitch at some point. All the matches are on yt, in the t90official channel.
    Oh and if you want to see the current and pretty much for the last decade or more undisputed nr1 play aoe2, channel name is TheViperAOC, really chill norwegian dude with mad skills.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    ^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I just want to confirm that AoE2: DE works on Win 7. At least it works for me. But there's an issue I hadn't noticed when I watched other people play it. Without the enhanced graphics pack, the unit models are noticeably blurry. And if there's anything I hate about graphics, that's blurriness. I can take ASCII graphics no problem, but I get an allergic reaction to blurriness.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    ^ Top  
  9. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    I actually did see some of this and it made me wish AOEII was even more popular. The gameplay and strats they were deploying were very entertaining. And the commentators were doing a good job, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Bawagan Literate

Bawagan
    Is anyone having problems launching Age of Empires 2 Definitve Edition through Game Pass? All I get is a splash screen for two seconds and that's it. Seems like this problem has been present for a long time but still no fix :(

• No No x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Red Bull Wololo was pretty fun as well. I'm pretty impressed with DE have even started playing a few ranked games.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. What's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus a year in? Better to play this than the HD edition?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    I really dislike how they are overfocusing on multi.

Ahhh for campaigns it is fine,even if tho many are using cheap tricks to make them harder,like infinite resources or you losing if some computer AI dies. I have noticed that the pathfinding is pretty shit because of the formation moving and units being too big and unable to get past each other.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Sounds like I'm better off sticking with the HD edition. Pathfinding has always been a problem in AoE games and it doesn't sound like they've done anything better in DE.

^ Top  
  16. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    If you're interesteed in multiplayer you should migrate since it actually runs on stable servers, but if you just want to play the single player campaigns and don't care about the graphics then there isn't really a reason to buy the game again.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. a Goat Arcane

a Goat
    Before DE I haven't played AOE2 since I was like 10, and I remember that campaigns used to be harder, but a lot of the changes were introduced in HD already(internet talks about HP regen for hero units for instace) and then there are times where I just may remember wrong. In skirmishes AI has gotten massive improvements(you can still select the old AI and yeah the difference is gigantic). People talk about pathfinding but I looking at old videos etc.(I don't remember how it used to be), 20% of it is real, 20% was fixed in patch like 5 months ago and 60% of it are better pings that make micro with ranged units so much easier.

Obviously if you want to play multiplayer, then there isn't much choice.

^ Top  
  18. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    There's absolutely no reason not to switch to DE, unless you really dislike the new look (it's very OK imo) or are some ridiculous tryhard who hates qol features. It's frequently on a proper discount so just grab it then.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    If your main interest is playing the campaigns present in both versions then it all comes down to whether or not you're willing to pay for the same game but with a graphical upgrade.
    I can't really blame people for not wanting to buy the same game a second time, or third if they also have the original version(s) from before Steam.

^ Top  
  20. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Doesn't DE have a new set of campaigns though??????

• Yes Yes x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    To be honest,to me it looks like the pathfinding is even worst than before.

Yeah,and they even fixed the forgotten campaign. For campaign binge is ok,currently i am doing it while listening to ghost/horror stories on youtube.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I like it - probably the best remaster of an old game that I have played. I've played some online games with friends and a few ranked matches earlier in the year.

I don't really do the campaigns (did them when I was a kid) I mostly just play multiplayer

^ Top  
  23. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Don't be a Jones. Stick to the original.

^ Top  
  24. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    I don't think that's debatable, really. Although it's obviously not a big competition, when the only other remaster that's not highly controversial and/or obviously low effort is the C&C one.

^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I think there's a new difficulty level for the campaigns that utilizes the new AI? Pathfinding in AoE2 is one of the best in any strategy game ever, that's one of the reasons it's popular, so I don't tetht eh Pathfinding criticism. What are you comparing it to? Blizzard RTSes?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.