Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Infinitron, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Not always: they were added with conquerors expansion. I guess it's possible that poland will have unique upgrade for them (like 3rd camel upgrade for indians), but light cav is already a three stages unit and they don't mention it in description so yeah, it's unlikely.

^ Top  
  2. AgentFransis Arbiter Patron

AgentFransis
    No I meant something like Farimba or Silk Armor. Some stat or cost buff.

^ Top  
  3. Narax Educated

Narax
    I am talking about the classical heavy winged hussars, not the fictional ones in the vanilla game.

^ Top  
  4. deama Liturgist

deama
    So if one is pretty much new to the series, which campaign would be best to start off with? I'm experienced with rts in general, so I don't want the easiest introduction to AOE, I just want a good campaign in terms of story and variety in missions, and lots of base building.

^ Top  
  5. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    You have 1/2/3 swords rating next to each campaign, but they aren't always super accurate. Campaign AI in AoE2 works really weird, in skirmish the difficulty levels give very consistent performance, but in campaigns the AI can vary from very passive to incessantly aggressive on the same diff level. Apart from Wallace, d'Arc is another super-easy campaign, the rest are fine when played on higher difficulties. I played little of the Forgotten/African/Asian campaigns, but the original ones and the ones from last dlc are usually very decent.

^ Top  
  6. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    RE: Campaign difficulty - I've noticed AoE2's campaigns are harder on the second difficulty level than other RTSes on their highest. I suggest starting with Jean d'Arc on the highest difficulty and then bring it down if need be.

^ Top  
  8. deama Liturgist

deama
    I remember playing this over a decade ago and I think there was a cap on how many towers you could have (the ones that shoot), is the cap still present? If so, is there a way or a mod to remove it the cap?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    I don't remember there ever being a cap on towers and I played the disc version of the games when I was a child.
    I looked it up on google but all I could find was a guy on the Steam forums complaining about a tower cap on Age of Empires 3. Is it possible that you might have been thinking of that game instead?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. deama Liturgist

deama
    Perhaps, it was a very long time ago.

^ Top  
  11. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    There's a tower cap in Age of Mythology.

^ Top  
  12. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Just played aoe2 multiplayer for the first time in like 4-5 years. Dark age is boring "gookclick" so played Empire Wars. Some guy spammed loads of eagles at me in feudal, I was walled though. Decided to go Longswordsmen, walked to his base with 11 of them.
    saw 25 eagles and 2 spears running at them, so ran up a hill and patrolled down. Equal upgrades but totallyy demolished the fight. My poor fellow noob resigned there and then.
    Screenshot_146.png

• Salute Salute x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Young_Hollow Learned

Young_Hollow
    Longswords have a bonus vs Eagles and hill advantage is 25% so no surprise there. Also, were they Eagle Scouts or Eagle Warriors?

^ Top  
  14. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    This was my lulz for the week

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ah, Spanish villagers.

^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    IS this the active aoe2 thread????

LoL as much as the bulgars got raped by that sjw writing,i feel sorry for the poles. I am playing the fucking medieval twilight story buahahahahaha. Storyfag is Jadwiga one of your loved rulers or as irrelevant like the Tzar that was in our campaign ?

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Wouldn't say active. That said, I have more recent lulz but the new patch broke all the replays, this one is p funny.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Depends on which Jadwiga. One was a chad, but still only worked to support her husband, Ladislaus the Elbow-high in the reunification of Poland. All the others were named after her, and weren't as noteworthy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    If it was in Feudal, they were scouts. Warriors only unlock in Castle.

^ Top  
  20. a Goat Arcane

a Goat
    She inherited the kangdom(was raised in Hungary) and got married to a Lithuanian we've ended up calling Władysław Jagiełło(Lithuanians call him Jogaiło? I think). What the game tries to pretend is that it was her idea, which from what I remember isn't really based on any sources at all, and in all likelyhood it was a decision made by nobility and some upper echelons of clergy, especially considering the talks started when she was like 14, and no fucking way would a 14 years old girl who just came to some kingdom she had no personal connections with would come up with a plan to marry a pagan barbarian in his 40's solely because that was in the interest of the state. Soon after the marriage she got pregnant and died in childbirth(together with the kid) and Jagiełło ruled for 20 more years or so. Her only other achievement was reinvigorating university in Krakow iirc.

The campaign may have been told from her perspective(altho she dies mid-way through its timeline) but it should've been named after Jagiełło or alternatively go back to basics and centre the story around some more minor historical character(like some notable knight or something).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    A lot of the campaigns have baffling protagonists. The aforementioned Ivaylo from the Bulgarian campaign is another such case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Good Lord, they picked THIS Jadwiga? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Her grandmother Elisabeth would have been a much better choice for a strong Queen.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Yeah,they really go for some insignificant rulers,we have like 10 far better rulers than this peasant cuck lol.

Sounds like the campaign,tho it seems like she did nothing. Also the writing was terrible,it was literally like fucking twilight. Felt like vomiting. Also remainded with the impression that she was banging the lithuanian duke.

Now i am playing the lithuanian campaign and i like it more.

I noticed that the new races have retarded unique units. Poles are cav civ but their unit is some weird infantry unit that i never used. Also the bohemians have some shitty vagon with guns which is slow and useless because of how big it is.

^ Top  
  25. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Don't worry,they did pick up one of our worst Tzars,he was a peasant fighting for the glory of Marx and ruled like a year or two. I have the feeling that they are picking them because of sjw politics. It is like "oh if i turn all the priests in to purple headed womxn,evil minority toxic fans will get butthurt,that is why i will write them a glorious story about this useless loser." You could just see how bad the lead is in all those dlcs,also mega anti christian,they really hate christians :).

Anyway,cheers.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.