Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Infinitron, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Cunt Dickula!? Arbiter

Cunt Dickula!?
    They have 0 melee armor. Why not just counter them with knights?

^ Top  
  2. Sensuki Arcane

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    The Castle Age Hussite Wagon have 200HP and take no bonus damage from any melee unit, so it would take a regular knight with no upgrades 20 hits to kill one, which is a lot for melee in AoE2. The Hussite Wagon doesn't require any upgrades either (except Siege Engineers in Imp) whereas the Knight guy needs to get the armor and attack upgrades as well.

^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Didn't say that they are week,just retarded. I personally hate bulky units. I end up using only the lithuanian's unique unit because it was fun and fit the game. With poles i just spammed winged hussars and archers lol,never even made a single unique unit. They felt too much out of place. They do have one very hard missions,where you have to conquer enemy towns by blowing their castles. The hard part is the multi tasking that the enemy could do with its endless unit spam.

^ Top  
  4. Sensuki Arcane

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Well your above quote says retarded, shitty wagon which is slow and useless.

I just played a ranked game with them, here is the video of the main fight that determined the game.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cunt Dickula!? Arbiter

Cunt Dickula!?
    Well you are playing team arena. Could be that they are overpowered in closed maps where you get to Imp without hazzle but on the other hand thats like 2000 wood right there and your enemy has too few of the wrong units.
    Dunno if they are really stronger than other death balls like koreans (war wagon, siege onager, halb) or khmer (elephant, scorp).
    These civs are created to be stronger in Imp so i doubt that bohemians are overpowered in Arabia atm.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    They are playing in a small map that is not restricted like Black Forest or Islands, and have the time to build reinforced stone walls. Chances are, they aren't exactly the best of players...

^ Top  
  7. a Goat Arcane

a Goat
    It's Arena, but you can see some questionable decisions there(viking longswords when supposedly there were Bohemians bullying shit with wagons?).

Wagons have very awkard counters, either it's redemption monks or(defensively) onagers, but there are civs that have neither(huns...) so I dunno how they're supposed to handle them. They'll probably have some counterdamage/negative melee armour added in the future because yeah it's awkward right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Do the hun's unique units get a bonus toward the wagons? It seems logical. Also to be honest,both players were pretty shit in that video,the dude just let his wagons shoot farms and shit while the other one was trying to kill his trebuchets lol. Watching that massive loss of resources made me cringe.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Looking at Poland, I'm pretty disappointed to see yet another "we'll give yuge bonuses to a type of unit and then make the tech tree for the same unit completely suck" type of civ. It was kinda smart/interesting the first, and maybe second, time they did it, but please stop now.

• (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Preben Arbiter

Preben
    And Poland should have palas, plate armor and hand cannoneers for the sake of freckin historical accuracy. Also lol at campaign praising Polish architecture (both in one mission and briefings) while Poles don't have architecture because reasons.

I think that Wladyslaw the Elbow-High would be the absolutely best character for a campaign. A fugitive barely escaping several times with his life who ultimately rose to be a king of a restored kingdom. Ruled through a constant warfare, freeing the writers from the burden of inventing conflicts, as it went with Jadwiga. Also, he was either a cripple or had literal dwarfism, making a good story about overcoming one's physical shortcomings.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    They'll tweak it for multiplayer balance. Just like Chinese got the tech discount but no gunpowder units.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Which is kind off accurate when it comes to history. They did had fucking katiushas and other rocket weapons during their red banner revolt but decided to not use them much later on. It is pretty weird.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. a Goat Arcane

a Goat
    Apparently there's an anecdote written down by not-so-reliable chronicler that after she learned she's marrying Jogaila she freaked out, grabbed an axe and tried to chop the doors to run away. So yeah...

^ Top  
  14. Preben Arbiter

Preben
    If Jan Długosz is 'unreliable', then I do not know whom you would consider reliable. He's widely considered a master of historical writing on European scale.

And Jadwiga tried to chop the door to elope with Wilhelm abroad.

^ Top  
  15. a Goat Arcane

a Goat
    Długosz disliked Władysław Jagiełło, so showing him in bad light(so repulsive his bride to be freaked out) would be the kind of thing he would make up.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. pickmeister Educated

pickmeister
    Don't play Definitive Edition. Play the original with UserPatch as God intended or at least HD. Yes, I am serious and yes, I am that autistic.

• Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    DE improved a lot of the awful HD campaigns. Also worth it for autofarms.

With DE you have literally hundreds of hours of campaigns to play.

^ Top  
  18. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    DE looks gut and has lots of qol. It's 100% incline.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. pickmeister Educated

pickmeister
    Which campaigns? The original (AoK + Conq) ones or those added by amateurs with civs like Italians or Slavs that make even less sense than scimitar throwing mamelukes?

^ Top  
  20. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The overscripted monstrosities by FilthyDelphia, a custom campaign maker with an ego bigger than Liluras. A lot of the HD campaigns were his work and it shows.

Most of his awful laggy (and boring) scenarios were converted to much more interesting maps.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. pickmeister Educated

pickmeister
    That does actually sound interesting. I might try it for these campaigns at some point and not even hate it. But I'll still stick to the original whenever I can.
    The new voice acting for old campaigns is soulless trash, as is the new graphics with overblown bloom and postprocessing (sure, you can turn off some of it, but not all of it). Especially the animations and unit icons I consider a lazy botch. And the new javascript main menu is low effort garbage. The old ones were pure kino.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    It has definitely been a struggle, but I've managed to sacrifice that menu to get soulless shit like much more content, ai that actually knows how to play the game or really great qol like villager counters. Also, what are you even talking about, DE looks great.

^ Top  
  23. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Yeah the HD units and buildings look really great for the most part.

^ Top  
  24. pickmeister Educated

pickmeister
    So you like it, great for you. I don't, because it's trash.
    If this was the first AOE2 ever, I'd say "Meh. Looks serviceable. A bit too fairytale-esque for my taste.". But as this is supposed to be a better version, it's just garbage.

^ Top  
  25. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    It is an objectively better version. It has much more content, much better ai, controls better, gets constant support and vast majority of the community has moved over. "I liked the old menu better" is not a compelling argument.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.