Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Morgoth, Jan 24, 2020.

1. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Ahhh aoe2de had some sjw shit in it for sure.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That "colonial" nonsense is certainly cringeworthy, but I wouldn't really care what text is on a button if they got the rest of the DE right.
    Well... give it a few more months, I guess.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Opinion read and discarded lmfao.

Whitewashing is bad ngl but the optimization issues that every DE releases with are A WAY BIGGER ISSUE than 'i don't have to unlock my civ's basic shit' and 'my ui now lets me see more things'.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    roflmao, I knew some people would have liked home cities because it gives them a Progress Quest, but jesus christ

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Just like with the OG Command&Conquer then - fuck dusting off those ancient games. Is anyone seriously asking for this? Make a brand new CC or a brand new AoE.

Or better yet, seeing as we live in the modern age, don't do anything. It'd be for the best.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Actually yes. AoE2 DE was a massive success: critically, commercially and for the game's community in general.

AoE3 hasn't gotten the same level of treatment, but it advanced nonetheless.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Glad this SJW trash is getting review-bombed, even if it is courtesy of 'muh progreshun' brainlets.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Make an entirely new C&C game that will be a guaranteed shit RTS and anger the veterans? Good way to hemorrhage money. Much easier to go with a minimalist remaster approach and sell a million copies over nostalgia.

Pretty ballsy from Microsoft though to fund Age 4.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    On second thought this is actually correct.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Narax Literate

Narax
    And now they’ll blame the fanbase for being racist.
    :hmmm:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Don't know about that...
    The optimization is bad (especially for what you see on the screen), but the civ progression was, for me, the primary reason I liked this game so much.
    It gives you a goal beyond "win this match", an agenda to follow, a way to make your nation slowly stronger and see the progress along the way, a sense of discovery with new abilities - adds quite a bit of RPG to the mix, if you like. It's what kept me hooked.
    What you have now is the equivalent of playing an RPG and everyone starts at max level - boring, will make me lose interest very quickly.
    It also makes homecity-building a lot harder, as you are given a million options all at once - it's overwhelming for everyone except experts. Like making a lvl20 DnD character from scratch.

I get why some MP people would want everything unlocked from the get-go (and for competitive matchmaking, that even makes sense), but then why not make that an option and allow matchmaking to specify a range of city levels? It seems like a no-brainer, but the devs decided to not even give an option here :/
    However, I thought I was in a tiny minority with that view - well, apparently I wasn't, given that this is the second most mentioned neglect in the reviews (even the positive ones).

In the end, this just proves what I always say - the SP and casual MP crowd for RTS games is way larger than the competitive MP crowd, even though the latter is admittedly who kept the games alive.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Anyone else catch the Irenaeus cameo in the comments?

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I don't get why anyone would like the grind. It was the worst part of original AoE3 and this is a great reason to buy the DE. No more shitty grind before you can play out the real strategies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You're talking about one of the minor points of the review...

^ Top  
  15. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

As I said, I do understand why someone would like to have all cards unlocked from the get-go, if their primary focus is competitive play.
    But why make that the only possibility and not allow for both ways? Afaik, the original game allowed both. It seems like the removal of an option without any real reason.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    It's not even just about the competitive play, I just don't like repetitive lengthy grinding in order to unlock the good stuff.
    Also, I remember the original game requiring you to play many matches to unlock all the stuff, there was no insta-unlock option. And you had to do it for each nation individually!

^ Top  
  17. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Nope, if you reached level 20 with one nation then the rest of them got level 20 as well, if you started them fresh. Same for level 40, 60, etc. You did need to repeat same process for expansion nations, one of each again.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    TBH as a single player dumbo I consider that the AoE3DE AI not being as godly as the AoE2DE the greatest impediment to my shut-in no humans allowed play.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    I bit the bullet and bought the game.

I played the first historical battle, a Spanish siege of Algiers which served to showcase the two features that, by themselves, kickstart my appreciation for the Definitive Edition: the Revolutions flavor additions and the Historical Battles. European countries now have more options for Revolutions, each country is given a great deal more flavor and the option itself was made more viable economically. Case in point, you play as an Ottoman Revolutionary - Barbary Corsairs against the spaniards. These come with unique infantry and cavalry options and the ability to train Mamelukes and Barbary Corsairs directly from military buildings. I didn't play Algiers at the hardest difficulty yet but it sort of reminded me of the second Salahadin map from AoE2, except the AI does hit and run tactics. Overall, a fun map with objectives to fulfill. If the other Battles are as fun as this one, they'll shape up to be the semi-historical fun campaign I didn't get 15 years ago when a bunch of nerds at Ensemble decided to do their dumb ass Illuminati plot. I'm looking forward to playing as the Portuguese in Ethiopia tomorrow.

On the other hand, I was forced to disable shadows to get a smooth FPS so this game needs a lot of optimization. To say nothing of the bugs people are showing on Reddit et al. In the 2 games I played I couldn't get my settlers to harvest animals.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    one of my foremost concerns about AoE III: DE is that the unit combat and movement felt.. very weird and unnatural in the original version of the game. is it the same here?

^ Top  
  21. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Having played Skirmish against the AI before and after the first patch I'm actually impressed. Their behavior is completely different. They counter your army compositions, know when to retreat and even do hit and run with ranged cavalry. Looking forward to the future.

• incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. deama Liturgist

deama
    So the game any good? How's the campaign? I'm only going to play this single-player, so I don't really care about balance all too much.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    There's no new campaign, only a series of 6 historical battles with cool objectives and voice acting.

Who knows, they might make more of them.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Revolutions are cool now.

^ Top  
  25. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Pretty much. They've not really changed any animations, units still fight in a very robotic/unnatural manner.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.