Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
It's been many years since I played them, but IIRC the Japanese campaign is set during the Sengoku campaign, the Chinese campaign is a historical fiction story based on the theory that a Chinese exploration or merchant vessel arrived in America before Columbus, and the Pajeet campaign is set during a rebellion against the British Empire. Each campaign is a standalone historical fiction story without any fantasy elements.

They're basically AoE 2 style campaigns.
There's a moment in the final battle of the Indian campaign where the British sends multiple doom stacks against you and the final one is longbows. The protagonist was like 'man they are sending the peasants now' and I was like where did they find bows. Always felt it was the funkiest moment of fantasy in the game.
Longbows are an important part of AoE3 Brits though. They're much better than generic Crossbows that other Euros get. Also a nice throwback card exists called Yeomen that extends their range. In pre-HD AoE2, Yeomen was the unique tech of the Britons that increased archer range.

Cunt Dickula!?

Empire Earth was a much worse rts gameplaywise but the campaigns were much more historically accurate than even Aoe2.
Only the 2 future campaigns were pretty silly.

vota DC

Augur
WE

9z7KEMo.png
Africa royals but with a sickle.....kangz or slaves their fate Is always picking cotton.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Wow Forgotten Empires is really re-using ideas all round. The ranged melee cavalry reminds me of the Steppe Lancer unit they introduced in AoE2:DE. Sounds interesting as a civ, though I don't know how balance will be because I haven't played / watched AoE3 much. The musketeer seems madly overpowered though considering the only other do-all musketeer is the Ottoman Janissary and its balanced out by the civ not having much else. I civ for a DLC is quite expensive though, considering AoE2 used to be 5 civs / expansion and AoE3 had 3 civs / expansion.

Also, isn't having both Aztecs and Mexico awkward? If this continues though, I really hope we get a Joseon / Korean civ, South-East Asian civs and civs split from the Indians and Chinese.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Bought this game, tried it out, uninstalled and refunded. Hideously UGLY.
The game is not ugly. I have the original CD and it's still catchy to the eyes. Furthermore, Age of Empires 3 is actually not that bad. Surely, it doesn't compete with Age of Empire 2 but I enjoyed it for what it was. People hated it because it was a direct sequel to Age of Empires 2.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The game is not ugly. I have the original CD and it's still catchy to the eyes. Furthermore, Age of Empires 3 is actually not that bad. Surely, it doesn't compete with Age of Empire 2 but I enjoyed it for what it was. People hated it because it was a direct sequel to Age of Empires 2.
I'm referring to DE.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
IIRC its not very changed from the originals graphically. So its not an improvement over them but at least not worse; did you play / like the originals? Also, I've been on the fence about it too but the best way to get it would be to try it out on M$'s game pass thing before buying. That way you can get a long period to try everything out.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Stick to the original version. Despite what people are saying, it's a good game. I have the game on CD with Indians and Asians expansion and I enjoyed each party I did with this game.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
The old version is fine and the only significant difference if you're not into the new civs or MP is that all Home City cards / shipments are unlocked from the start in the DE while you have to reach higher and higher Home City levels to get them in the old version.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The old version is fine and the only significant difference if you're not into the new civs or MP is that all Home City cards / shipments are unlocked from the start in the DE while you have to reach higher and higher Home City levels to get them in the old version.
or rather, in the old version you need to edit a file in notepad to unlock everything, or use a mod for multiplayer to unlock it (and you can then play without the mod thereafter)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Even more.

The Knights of the Mediterranean brings a wealth of new content to Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition, including the addition of the Italy and Malta Civilizations, the brand new casual friendly Tycoon Game Mode, and the first ever set of Historical Maps, which bring endless replayability with a historical twist.

2 New Civilizations
Malta:
Guard the Mediterranean against incursions with unique fortifications, don shining armor to fend off attacks, and shell opponents from afar with Fixed Guns. Fire Throwers and greatswords win battles, but the superior logistics of your Commandery win wars. Luckily, you can have both! Fighting at sea with Order Galleys may wet the gunpowder, but your Arbalesters won’t mind. You can always restock at a Gunpowder Depot, or blow it up when an enemy army marches past!

Italy:
Unite wealthy merchant republics, duchies, and Papal states while new Settlers flock to your booming empire with every technological breakthrough, and use Architects to construct buildings for free! Invest at the Lombard to optimize your economy and turn a quick profit, or construct a towering Basilica and send Papal soldiers to strengthen and complement your army. Use shielded Pavisiers to lure opponents into an ambush of Bersaglieri, or let Elmetti lower their lances and carry the day with a thundering charge!

Brand New Tycoon Game Mode
Tycoon:
Tycoon is a brand new, casual friendly game mode that puts the focus on economic superiority over military domination. Free from the pressure of head-to-head play, this new mode allows players to explore and strengthen economic strategies that they can then leverage in the other game modes throughout Age of Empires III: Definitive Editon.

First-ever Historical Maps
Historical Maps:
Historical Maps are a new variation of Random Maps. Randomly generated for endless replayability, these 8 new maps dive into history with Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition with unique objectives for each map, based on some of the most memorable conflicts on the European continent.
  • The Italian Wars
  • Eighty Years' War
  • The Deluge
  • Great Turkish War
  • Great Northern War
  • Napoleonic Wars
  • Russo-Turkish Wars
  • The Thiry Years’ War (MP Exclusive Diplomacy Mode Map)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Malta is a really odd choice.
I suspect Malta was added because they wanted more than one civilization and it fit the theme. What else is left in the Mediterranean region? Pretty sure every other country that existed at the time in that region was in the base game.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Weird how they made a unified Italian civ when it looks like it was a mistake even in AoE2. Since AoE3 has more scope for selective technology trees, I expect there will be sea-based advancement politicians and naval cards inspired by Venice. Or maybe they don't want to steal the thunder from AoE2 because its the game that has the battle of Lepanto.

Or maybe they're saving Venice, along with a Barbary coast faction and the pirates faction for a naval-themed DLC. I recall a mod for AoE3 having a Pirates faction and considering how the team looked to AoE2 mods and AoE3 for ''inspiration'' for the AoE2 DLCs, I'm sure it crossed their minds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom