Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again - coming October 28th

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Martius, Aug 21, 2017.

1. L'ennui Magister

L'ennui
    But then how will their stunningly incompetent marketing team justify their salary???

^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    What the fuck is that UI?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Young_Hollow Learned

Young_Hollow
    I wish I had as much control over my life as whatever is scaring that interviewer girl.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    It's different than the one shown in the leaked gameplay. Maybe it's a simplified (worse) version or some kind of spectator mode?

^ Top  
  6. Young_Hollow Learned

Young_Hollow
    Looks like Aoe3 but ''streamlined''.

^ Top  
  7. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Futuristic...

• Funny x 2
    • honk honk! x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    https://www.ageofempires.com/news/ageiv-tech-stress-test/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Young_Hollow Learned

Young_Hollow
    The trailers and promos were stress enough; no thx.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    In the beta, the UI was fugly in your typical "futuristic spreadsheets" style: nondescript boxes floating around in the middle of nowhere. Functionally, it wasn't too horrible.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    The technical test has started.

It grants access as soon as you request.

^ Top  
  12. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    gameplay

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Alt Panda Scholar

Alt Panda
    Played a few games and it is pretty underwhelming.
    Feels more like AoE 3 gameplay in AoE 2 setting.

The whole base building is off compared to AoE 2.
    The gaps between the buildings ruin everything as it was pretty fun in AoE 2 to wall with your buildings imo.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    I won't judge but this game looks like shit.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I appreciate the fact they aren't trying to compete with AoE2 (they are going to fail), but it honestly looks like modern Stronghold (i.e. not good). I have to play it myself to judge, though, I've already begun downloading the stress test. I'm not particularly convinced of the time period either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Played the Tutorial and one skirmish against AI.

It's AoE 2021 alright.

A user friendlier and safe version of AoE II, basically. Not a bad game, but nothing that should make you believe that the king has returned, either. I like that they chose readability over fidelity for the graphics style, and the sound scape is very solid too. If it has a great campaign, I'd consider buying it for 15-20€.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. vota DC Augur

vota DC
    Yes you advance like Indian/China/Japan in AOE 3 building
    They launch torches against buildings
    Infinite food from farms

• Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    Why on earth did they think AoEIII was more popular than AoEII.
    I didn't think you could make the UI worse than AoEIII but here we are.
    Was it so hard to just copy AoEII's UI?

^ Top  
  19. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Apparently... but I don't see what's wrong with any of that.

Might actually be going to play this one, then.

The main reason for me to prefer AoE3 over 2 were always the city cards, as they allowed you to customize your nation, give it some kind of player agenda and make it really yours.
    Naturally, this best part they didn't apply in 4, which is a shame.

But at least they seem to be doing some micro reductions in the economy part.
    Everything that reduces the need for BS micro is good in my book.

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    How do you play a skirmish against the AI? Single player is greyed out for me. I tried the tutorial - it's got some problems. First of all, the graphics. It honestly looks like an indie game and AoE3:DE has better graphics. I know we shouldn't be looking at graphics, but since this is trying to be a mainstream game, I'd be remiss not to mention it looks like play-doh. Second of all, the setting. There is literally 0 reason for this to be medieval when AoE2 exists and is better in every way possible. Third of all, It's very hard to select a single unit in a battlefield because the UI groups them up and doesn't show them as individuals. I had the hardest time getting a spearman out of a fight. The sounds aren't bad, though, they are going for the Total War thing of having your units scream at you when you tell them to attack. All in all, I'm not particularly convinced this is going to get much attention, but I have to play a skirmish or something to know more. As for farms being unlimited - this isn't a very good thing because it removes a resource sink. You already don't micromanage it in AoE2 due to the auto-reseed button and it's only there for it to eat wood.

^ Top  
  21. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I figured it out - you create a multiplayer game with only AI in it. After giving up on one skirmish because I suck at RTSes, I'd say it's not like AoE2. It's kind of hard for me to express the differences because I was never a big AoE player and have only ever played the campaigns, but there's definitely something up with this that isn't like AoE2. The biggest difference I can immediately recognize is the cost of units, they require huge amounts of food, a single camel rider wants 180 food, ditto for camel archers. This makes it decently hard to mass these. Also, I was playing with the Abbasid Empire and the English countered me hard early game, not only do they get longbowmen, but they also get early man-at-arms which are not susceptible to archers at all. There's nothing I could really do to counter longbows + man-at-arms in Feudal Age, or maybe there is but I couldn't see it. Yeah, if someone is interested and has more experience with AoE than me, go test it and do a write-up with the major differences. It's totally not worth 60 bucks though.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    ^ Top  
  22. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Winning strategy as Abbasid against the English AI on intermediate - go to castle age as fast as you can then mass horsemen (lancers if you have the resources for it, they are 2 times more expensive) and crossbowmen. Get blacksmith upgrades if you can. Then create 1-2 battering rams (which are now built by infantry on the battlefield) and go to town. The AI is very slow to advance through the ages on intermediate, so they have no true counter to this. Longbowmen can't do anything against mass horsemen and man-at-arms die very fast to crossbowmen (but not normal archers, which makes staying in Feudal Age a very bad idea as Abbasid against the English).

^ Top  
  23. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    I just can't get excited about a Age of Empires 2 3D reskin. Devs were playing it way too safe, and everything in this video smelled like Age of Empires 2 and not 4.

Seriously, is our political climate really the reason why we didn't get a WW1 RTS with the base building of Age of Empires 2?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. vota DC Augur

vota DC
    Some "civilian" stuff like Chinese collecting taxes are funny, but on the military there are too many common units shared by everyone....seems a lot AOE3 vanilla....some ideas are very good (unique units aren't in castle and can be mass produced) but why they took from Asian Dynasties expansion the idea of advancing age with constructions but they didn't made less shared units?

Not in vanilla, only with expansion.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.