Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

blrrmmmff

Scholar
less emphasis on robotic build orders

I think this is hard to do. Unless you get rid of upgrades, and make it easier to switch (instead relying more on unit experience through combat for upgrades). But I doubt this is gonna happen.

What I like to see is more interaction with terrain. And more attention to how you build your settlement. Something like simple supply lines within your base at least? Like you mine certain base materials (4 or 5 or so) and they are converted in more materials inside town centers. And need to be brought to your production buildings. Or brought to a blacksmith, which brings the weapons they make to barracks etc. Where building roads, and having certain base layouts start to make sense.

TedNugent

Arcane
nu-relic in charge of historical game

xSkMpRT.jpg

:deadtroll:

Well, that explained a lot.
:hmmm:

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron
Whipped Cream's three step guide to making a good Age of Empires IV:
Step 1: Start with AoE II
Step 2: Steal a bunch of ideas from the Total War games
Step 3: Polish the shit out of it

And boom, you've got a great game. I'm completely serious.

I don't know enough about the game yet to determine wheter it will actually be good or not, but if they follow the above recipe then the game has great potential (although Relic's recent track record is worrying).

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't know enough about the game yet to determine wheter it will actually be good or not, but if they follow the above recipe then the game has great potential (although Relic's recent track record is worrying).

What ideas do you propose to steal/borrow/take inspiration in the Total War games? They're very different types of games, so I don't see what you can take there to AoE II and still have something cohesive.

kris

Arcane

What ideas do you propose to steal/borrow/take inspiration in the Total War games? They're very different types of games, so I don't see what you can take there to AoE II and still have something cohesive.

Game should have units and formations IMO.

vota DC

Augur

Just cavalry collision.

Tigranes

Arcane

pfft COSSACKS solved all these problems 20 years ago, they just needed to make a less janky, better paced version

4-1024_788.jpg

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron

For me personally, what I would like to see is:
- Full 3D perspective instead of isometric, so that you can rotate the camera, change the inclination of the camera and zoom in and out anytime you want.
- Ability to train military units in groups instead of one-by-one. Make formations, battle tactics and varied unit composition important. Introduce general units and... well, in short just make battles feel more like actual battles in general.
- Allow us to put units on walls. Allow walls to be assulted by siege towers and battles to be fought on walls. Allow archers and siege weapons to fire from walls.
- Asymetrical balance between factions. They should take a good lok at Total War: Warhammer II for this one. That game has 15 different races and each have completely different rosters with different strengths and weaknesses that encourage different playstyles. Yet the different races are surprisingly well balanced in battle.
- Ability to do map-painting single player campaigns.
- And honestly just make the game a bit more about high-level decisionmaking and military strategy and a bit less about boar luring and clicks per second.

Then again, I should point out that Total War is my most played game series, so I'm somewhat biased towards making AoE IV into "Total War with base building".

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
varied unit composition is pretty nice sometimes in AoE2, if you have a bunch of archers with the same firing animation delay then they will tend to shoot at one enemy and massively overkill, sometimes mixing arbs hand cannons and skirms works really nicely

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am just glad to see a new RTS. Although it is not nearly as graphically breathtaking as Age of Empires 3 was at the time (and AoE 2 back in 1999, when I saw it for the first time I couldn't believe how good it looked, especially the buildings).

Age of Empires 3 had such beautiful water, ships, the buildings taking damage...I am a little sad we won't see such progress with the overly cartoony AoE 4. It looks nice, sure, but nothing like how AoE 2&3 looked back in the day.

My prediction is AoE 4 will be much faster paced to make it more e-sport viable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoe2020-review/

Age of Empires IV
EoY_MiniBanner_4.jpg

We are making great progress on Age of Empires IV. I don’t want to make you jealous, but we are literally playing this game every single day—both in Washington and in Vancouver.

RTS development is funny: it takes a while to build the separate systems (AI, economy, sim, rendering, etc), and then it takes a while for them to come together. But when they do, you suddenly have a game—a game that needs debugging and balance and polish— but the core of the game that you know you’re going to ship. And the best part is that it feels like an Age of Empires game.

Our partners at Relic have been incredible stalwarts as we all migrated development from office to home, and modified (through trial and error) our processes to help facilitate productivity to keep the game on track. So much passion, such great developers, artists, designers, narrators, audio experts, and community—not to mention the backbone functions that keep the company going.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

pfft COSSACKS solved all these problems 20 years ago, they just needed to make a less janky, better paced version
Ahhh cossacks is great fun game and i enjoy it a lot :). But i don't play AoE so i could see formation and mass shit,i play cossacks for that. Also having Total war garbage in it will ruin the game lol. Just copy aoe2,add some improvements and you have a good game.

Sentinel

Arcane
Relic Entertainment was saved by the AoE4 project after Company of Heroes 3 set in the pacific was put on hiatus. Recently their old CEO & chief designer came back so maybe they can get back in the groove but I have serious doubts about the quality of AoE4. The art style in the trailer they showed was a massive red flag already.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/announcing-age-fan-preview-2021/

The Age of Empires team is thrilled to announce a celebration of the franchise with a new event: the Age of Empires: Fan Preview. The event begins with a special, half-hour broadcast starting at 9 a.m. PT on April 10, which will be streamed live on AgeofEmpires.com, Twitch, Facebook Live, the Xbox YouTube channel, and Bilibili for our fans in China! Following the broadcast, we will open a limited-time digital experience on AgeofEmpires.com to continue celebrating with the community for the week to follow.

Whilst we don’t want to spoil everything we have in store, we know that you’ve been eager for more glimpses of Age of Empires IV since the first trailer at X019. Our broadcast will include a new look at gameplay, civilizations, campaigns, and more for you to enjoy! We will also be sharing some exciting news for our Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition players, as well.

AgeIV.gif

♦ ♦ ♦

Since the release of Age of Empires over 20 years ago, the franchise has grown to support a worldwide community of players with a shared love of real-time strategy. Over the last three years, we’ve delighted seasoned players and new fans alike with the Definitive Editions of Age of Empires, Age of Empires II, and Age of Empires III: projects which were made possible thanks to the feedback and passion of the community. We are so proud to have such an energetic, dedicated fanbase at the foundation of our community.

…and with the Definitive Editions in the hands of players, there’s a new era on the horizon…
The community has been the driving force behind this amazing franchise and fueled its evolution for more than two decades; now it’s time to celebrate with an event built for YOU!

So, mark your calendars:

April 10 @ 9 a.m. PT /12 p.m. ET / 17:00 CET
Then garrison yourself in your Town Center, gather your snacks, and get HYPED for all the Age of Empires news, content reveals, and surprises on the way. We’ll talk more about the event as we get closer, as well as where you can tune in when it’s time to make history!

We can’t wait to see you this April!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Relic Entertainment was saved by the AoE4 project after Company of Heroes 3 set in the pacific was put on hiatus. Recently their old CEO & chief designer came back so maybe they can get back in the groove but I have serious doubts about the quality of AoE4. The art style in the trailer they showed was a massive red flag already.

Microsoft should just buy Relic, or Sega altogether.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This really has to be one of the most pointless semi-recognizable non-indie games of recent years, considering how low effort/talent it looks and how popular the AoE2 HD/DE is. Just why.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean, can we expect anything other than people trying this out a bit, then dropping the game in a month to return to AoE2?
Btw, is AoE2: Definitive edition worth it over the standard edition?
I find the UI lacking compared to Age of Mythology, but they only talk about the graphic improvements on the page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom