Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Martius, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    It's dumb to shoehorn a female military unit into a game like AOE.

It's equally dumb to spend your time on this Earth scanning video games and youtubes and twitters over with a fine comb trying to detect WRONG GENDER STUFF in a video game. Especially one where you're zoomed out ordering random blobs all the time.

Speaking of blobs - one thing that really gets me is unit recognisability. It feels like, say, AOM it was easy to instantly tell how many units an army has & how upgraded, so you could gauge the outcome - and this is a lot harder in Age4 unless you have health bars always on? Might just be a new game issue so far.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • cuck cuck x 4
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    The only interesting thing about this game is how pozzed it is. You fags probably don't even tryhard in AoE2 rranked!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What did people expect? Have you guys seen the studio? It's filled with wahmen and lesbians.

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alter Sack Erudite

Alter Sack
    Fine comb? Scanning videos for wrong gender stuff?

That's bullshit.

I watched the trailer because I was interested in the game (because I liked AoE I and II).

The female general is the main protagonist of the trailer. You can't miss it.

It gets basically shoved down our throats.

I am not opposed to female characters in general but it has to fit into the context, especially in a somewhat historical game.

So Jeanne d'Arc was fine but that shit is not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    Simplifying and abridging history to make it easier to understand to people playing and making the game is different from making a politically motivated addition. The LOTR movie may not have been 100% accurate to the book but it sure as hell didn't have a space marine in it. If you don't see a difference between abridging something and adding something that didn't exist in the first place, I don't know who can help you. But putting on the uppity internet psychologist hat myself, it seems you're quite quick to jump to conclude the proles who hate this addition are sexist, and according to my experience in reddit psychology, it stems from
    Show Spoiler
    daddy issues!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. AdamReith Magister Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    Game doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate. I think, given the nature and legacy of the series it would have been respectful to not fill it with politically motivated shit with no basis in history at all.

But what can you do, I don't expect restraint from the demographic these companies now willfully hire. They probably had to be talked down from adding characters from Game of Thrones as-is.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    Aztecs did have them actually:

• Yes Yes x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    Yes of course they existed, but giving them a massive speed boost and pierce armour from wearing an eagle headdress is fantasy BS.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. AdamReith Magister Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    Have you not watched the video? These guys were elite, ran faster and hit harder than normal men.

• cuck cuck x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Hace El Oso Arcane Patron

Hace El Oso
    The speed I can get behind as a nod towards a life of running down human prey and slaves in the jungle. The piercing is silly, yes.

^ Top  
  11. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    That's not even the biggest fantasy, what made cataphracts immune to spears or samurai good vs war elephants? If they were to go even 50% historically accurate, most civs won't have canon galleons (which only 3 civs lack currently).

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Or full 15th century plate armoured "paladins" fighting the Huns.

Ranting about historical accuracy or realism in AOE 2 is kinda stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    It depends on what people consider ''historically accurate'' and how much of a problem the lack of it is to them. Since most people can mentally separate an abridged vs edited version of history, people will probably be OK with longbows outranging crossbows or Chinese lacking hand cannoneers but won't be OK with a female Khan or scout. In a way, it could be said that it ignores the plight of women in those times considering how the Mongols were the biggest rape train ever seen and even noble-women could only get on horses to hunt.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's all nonsense, of course, but I gave you a brofist because that conclusion really made me laugh :lol:
    I shall remember and use it for some totally unrelated rants as well.

If you cannot see your own sexism in being seriously triggered by women doing jobs in non-historically-accurate games they undoubtedly could have done, then I really can't help you either.
    "But they wouldn't have been allowed to!" Yeah, no shit. That's the historically inaccurate part. It's just not a big deal - unless you have a problem with women, that is and see SJWs lurk in every shadow :lol:
    Comparing this to Space Marines in Middle Earth really shows your mindset...

I could understand it if they gender-swapped some known historical figures, but they just have a few women around in places where they are not historically accurate (it's nowhere near 50/50 even).
    I honestly cannot even comprehend the insecurity a person must feel about themselves to raise more than an eyebrow at this. But it does amuse me, so go on.

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    That's a Young Hollow post you quoted as mine, but no, women Khans couldn't have united the Mongol tribes and then conquered China etc.
    Humans are a sexually dimorphic species, go back to school you ignorant retard.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Sarathiour Savant

Sarathiour
    Aoe 1 and AoM were actually trying to keep an heavy historical background. There is a lot of documentation and history tidbit in AoE, and every fucking unit is basically tied to some myth or historic use in AoM. Yeah it obviouslt took some liberty with the design, but you don't see gunpowder using viking or something or female warrior, beside the two amazon heroes of the greek.

AoE3 is the one that was a bit silly with indegenous and mercenary unit, but they were obviously treated a bit like mythological or fantasy unit, heck their last upgrade was called "legendary warrior" or something like that.

What's grieving here is the obvious lack of consistency, you have on one hand obscure rule for some map that only impact two faction ( boar is haram) and on the other hand female khan.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    I think you misquoted my name but all I was saying was this: the reason for women to be included more or less shows they had an agenda with it. I don't understand how insecurity somehow had a part in it but I don't say piss is rain and they have all my blessings to piss all they want, as long as they're not trying to passing it off as something else. They could've highlighted the many women leaders of the medieval era (one of them was a Muslim woman warrior called Malala iirc) but they instead chose to go with something that isn't for gameplay or accuracy or ease of understanding or anything. The previous games were never historically inaccurate for snowflake politics so saying ''it was never historically accurate'' is as stupid as justifying a space marine in a LOTR movie because the movies weren't faithful to the books in the first place.

Also, you fail to understand how ''sexism'' is so relative. It is well known that the medieval times were horrible for women especially where the luckiest a girl could be was to be born in a noble family and peacefully traded like chattel in marriages. I'm sure many wokes would say that to erase women's suffering by portraying it as if they could become warriors or rulers is ''sexist''.

^ Top  
  18. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm totally with you on that one - they could have chosen much more accurate ways of going about this.
    It's just all so irrelevant in the context of this game that I can't help but point and laugh at people who get seriously triggered over it.

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. cw8 Arbiter

cw8
    I've bought and been playing the campaign. Feels like AOE2 except for some civ differences and the way you age up now.
    Mangonels no longer seem to have FF, at least not in my campaign missions. You can build 5 of them and have them fire in the middle of the clashes between your army and the enemy's army and you'll be fine.

• decline decline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    If mangos don't have FF, what's the point of having scorpions?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. pickmeister Educated

pickmeister
    So do I understand it correctly that this game is gameplay-wise just Age of Empires Online: Reskinned Edition?

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    And this is the sort of thing that shows why it's not worth discussing the actual game. Better to just mock it for having female muslim generals, female khans, etc. AoE4's design is a mixture of absences and unoriginality, I assume that without bothering to check.

^ Top  
  23. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Uninstalled this during the second campaign mission.

Aside from the tepid gameplay, did anyone else find the narrator long-winded and condescending? Weird choice to show me some lame history movies about events more interesting than the campaign missions.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. MajorMace Liturgist Patron

MajorMace

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    It's hard to click on stuff due to the 3d. UI needs some fixing as well. Otherwise game is good. Sound design is to be lauded. I'm eager to see where it'll go from here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    I actually quite like the campaign style.
    I'd be more immersed if the campaign was told from the perspective of the characters, but I actually enjoy the documentary style videos.
    Something different for a change.

Some of them are more interesting than others, though, and indeed some choices of what was just shown vs what can be played is weird.

What I found MUCH weirder is that there are no India, Abbasid, China or HRE campaigns.
    Only half the factions have a campaign.
    What's up with that?

Frankly, as much as I like the game, for the current price I wouldn't recommend it.
    There's too much missing, both in content and gameplay features (e.g. there is no smart select, no global queue, and other obvious oversights that are just baffling).
    Wait for sale or wait for patches would be my recommendation. Or both.

There are no scorpions in AoE4.
    There are anti-siege siege weapons, which are very much required if you want to deal with Mangonels from a distance (their range is higher, too).

I don't mind the lack of FF at all. In fact I very much welcome it.
    One less thing that needs microing. Good for me, cause I suck at it!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • decline decline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.