Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Martius, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Man, my realism autism haven't suffered this much since skins were introduced as standard in war games. Doesn't even have to be outrage stuff like pink tanks. Like in Hell Let Loose they added paratrooper skins, so now you have people running around in full fallschirmjäger gear mixed together with all other random kind of troopers. In the next upcoming patch they will add the FG42, but from I know it won't be restricted to paratroopers. A super rare weapon available for everyone - oh boy. Also they will add pacific camo for the Americans fighting in Normandie. RIP controlled realism autism.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    There are probably hundreds of WW2 RTSs currently, especially if you count the mods. While Company of Xeroes will probably be decline, why even bother about it? Like most other types of RTS, isn't the best already behind us, woke or not?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, I won't bother with it probably, but it would be nice to get something nice & new once in a while.

But multiplayer shooters is another issue altogether since they just have couple of years in lifespan, usually at least. Last time I think we got a authentic popular "realistic" shooter was Red Orchestra so I play whatever I can get :)
    Well, maybe except Post Scriptum but that game is pretty dead already unfortunately.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Hace El Oso Arcane Patron

Hace El Oso
    Gates of Hell: Ostfront is a lot of fun, as far as realistic WW2 RTS are concerned. And it has, like almost any game with a large Russian user base, a strong modding scene. Though as a clear continuation of Men of War I don’t know if you would consider it “nice & new”.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cw8 Arbiter

cw8

• Funny x 8
    • That's an Elephant x 4
    • /facepalm/ x 3
    • Math! x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    I don't know. There are not enough games that lets you put troops on walls(but it probably works better in slower games, like MTW2 or Lords of the Realms 2), so I may get it once its price becomes reasonable.

They only need to make it better than CoH2 to register as incline, though, so it should be doable.

^ Top  
  7. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    In my experience with the R2 and S2 TW, putting troops on walls has only gone backward in the totalwar games. I haven't played the older ones though, which most people say are better mechanics-wise.

On one hand CoH is their flagship franchise and most of their experience lies with squad based RTSs. On the other hand they've messed up DoW3 from what I've heard and AoE4 not breaking new ground doesn't bode well.

In terms of having mechanics for the sake of variety (like units on walls), AoE4 still pales in comparison to all other age games because their diversity is far greater than AoE4's fairly cookie-cutter Hollywood pop-history civs. AoE3 has much greater variety both in civs and how to play them due to unit cards and AoE2 has more than thrice the number in AoE4. AoM has much wider unit variety and AoE1 at least has more civs, though they're quite similar besides the bonuses. The devs for the Forgotten Empires expansion for AoE2, which started as a mod even considered adding medieval Tibetans and the game currently has South-East Asian and African civs, which are unique in any RTSs, AFAIK.

cw8 That's actually quite normal for the age series. Transport ships in AoE2 could hold 10 archers or 10 elephants and watch towers could hold 10 archers or 10 Teutonic Knights.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Units on walls are the bane of CA's engines. Hilarity (and lag) would always ensue in Rome and Medieval 2 if you ordered units to do anything on walls.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    Its worse on the newer engine. They don't even follow orders half the time and and when they do, they're so late / glitchy in doing it they might as well shouldn't have. The only thing that somewhat works is archers but anything melee is a gamble. Shogun 2 is a bit better since the forts are more open but in Rome 2 (and probably beyond), its best to just make a square around the city's center than fighting on a walled city's walls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Which is REALLY weird, because they must have created that weird-ass on-wall behavior IN ADDITION to the normal movement logic.
    Had they just applied normal movement logic to walls (maybe with some "stand still" logic on top) things would have been MUCH better.

Either way, I'm not sure what to think about the on-wall units yet. They do seem strong against AI and in campaigns, but will they actually amount to much against human opponents?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    Does AoE4 have replays / recorded games yet? If they want the MP scene to take off, it would be a basic feature that's needed.

^ Top  
  12. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    From (yuck!) reddit:

"In the play menu, below the daily quest there ist a log. Scroll down until you find a "Match Summary". There you can choose to watch the replay.

Edit: So if you click on your Profile (bottom left) you'll also find replays."
    Oddly hidden away if you ask me, but at least it exists, I guess.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. pickmeister Educated

pickmeister
    Daily quests? In AoE? For real? People can't have fun for fun's sake anymore? Does it have skins and time savers from the cash shop too?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • sad sad x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    IIRC it wasn't there at launch. So that's a plus point.

pickmeister AoE2DE already had events and a battle royale mode so I wouldn't expect anything higher from AoE4.

^ Top  
  15. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The daily stuff seems to be for XP for the profile system that lets you unlock decals and doodads.

I've only really been playing the campaign so not paid much attention to the profile stuff. Looks like pretty cancerous modern game shit.

^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    So does it run on win7 ? Not that i am interested in trying it much.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    I wonder if there will actually ever be a campaign for the other nations.

For one, because one of the Mongol campaigns has you (partly) play as Chinese "collaborators", not sure if they'd pull a stunt like that if they planned a proper Chinese campaign in the future.
    Also, they'd need the documentary style footage made...

Bit of a tragedy, as I found the campaigns to be a pretty decent introduction of a nation. Mongols with their Ovoo, safe food eco and lack of walls are quite different from French or English, but by the end of the Mongol campaign, I felt like I had a good idea of how to play them.
    With the non-campaign nations, you can only do skirmish until you "get it", which I find much less interesting to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    It's weird that a feature that worked perfectly well in 25 year old Lords of the Realm 2 seems out of reach now :(
    Granted, LOTR2 didn't have formation move, but still, it had fillable moats to make up for that (and boiling oil that worked like a long range flamethrower)...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Actually i don't,i am not interested in the game. Just curious,while replaying age 2.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Stronghold did the units on walls thing quite well.

Too bad Firefly have gone completely stagnant and keep making the same game over and over again, except it's mechanically worse with each iteration rather than better.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    This game gives me a (positive) bfme feel. Sounds and visuals. Shame that no other game really tried the bmfe formula in RTS training small groups of units, I think it would fit the overall more arcade gameplay of this game very well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. vota DC Augur

vota DC
    I think a Hokuto no Ken game with bfme formula would be nice. Bfme is an improved Warcraft 3 formula without creeping autism.

^ Top  
  24. Okagron Prophet

Okagron
    Replayed AoM last year and the campaign, at least for the base game and the Titans expansion, is still a lot of fun. Plenty of creative scenarios, some solid characters and it's overall still pretty fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Young_Hollow Savant

Young_Hollow
    Haven't played BFME or WC3 but AoE3 had batch training of units for the Russian and Chinese civs. All other civs could make 1-5 of the same unit (besides artillery) in one go as well.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.