Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Does AoE4 have replays / recorded games yet? If they want the MP scene to take off, it would be a basic feature that's needed.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does AoE4 have replays / recorded games yet? If they want the MP scene to take off, it would be a basic feature that's needed.
From (yuck!) reddit:

"In the play menu, below the daily quest there ist a log. Scroll down until you find a "Match Summary". There you can choose to watch the replay.

Edit: So if you click on your Profile (bottom left) you'll also find replays."
Oddly hidden away if you ask me, but at least it exists, I guess.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
From (yuck!) reddit:

"In the play menu, below the daily quest there ist a log. Scroll down until you find a "Match Summary". There you can choose to watch the replay.

Edit: So if you click on your Profile (bottom left) you'll also find replays."
Oddly hidden away if you ask me, but at least it exists, I guess.
IIRC it wasn't there at launch. So that's a plus point.

pickmeister AoE2DE already had events and a battle royale mode so I wouldn't expect anything higher from AoE4.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The daily stuff seems to be for XP for the profile system that lets you unlock decals and doodads.

I've only really been playing the campaign so not paid much attention to the profile stuff. Looks like pretty cancerous modern game shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if there will actually ever be a campaign for the other nations.

For one, because one of the Mongol campaigns has you (partly) play as Chinese "collaborators", not sure if they'd pull a stunt like that if they planned a proper Chinese campaign in the future.
Also, they'd need the documentary style footage made...

Bit of a tragedy, as I found the campaigns to be a pretty decent introduction of a nation. Mongols with their Ovoo, safe food eco and lack of walls are quite different from French or English, but by the end of the Mongol campaign, I felt like I had a good idea of how to play them.
With the non-campaign nations, you can only do skirmish until you "get it", which I find much less interesting to do.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Units on walls are the bane of CA's engines. Hilarity (and lag) would always ensue in Rome and Medieval 2 if you ordered units to do anything on walls.
Which is REALLY weird, because they must have created that weird-ass on-wall behavior IN ADDITION to the normal movement logic.
Had they just applied normal movement logic to walls (maybe with some "stand still" logic on top) things would have been MUCH better.

Either way, I'm not sure what to think about the on-wall units yet. They do seem strong against AI and in campaigns, but will they actually amount to much against human opponents?
It's weird that a feature that worked perfectly well in 25 year old Lords of the Realm 2 seems out of reach now :(
Granted, LOTR2 didn't have formation move, but still, it had fillable moats to make up for that (and boiling oil that worked like a long range flamethrower)...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Units on walls are the bane of CA's engines. Hilarity (and lag) would always ensue in Rome and Medieval 2 if you ordered units to do anything on walls.
Which is REALLY weird, because they must have created that weird-ass on-wall behavior IN ADDITION to the normal movement logic.
Had they just applied normal movement logic to walls (maybe with some "stand still" logic on top) things would have been MUCH better.

Either way, I'm not sure what to think about the on-wall units yet. They do seem strong against AI and in campaigns, but will they actually amount to much against human opponents?
It's weird that a feature that worked perfectly well in 25 year old Lords of the Realm 2 seems out of reach now :(
Granted, LOTR2 didn't have formation move, but still, it had fillable moats to make up for that (and boiling oil that worked like a long range flamethrower)...

Stronghold did the units on walls thing quite well.

Too bad Firefly have gone completely stagnant and keep making the same game over and over again, except it's mechanically worse with each iteration rather than better.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This game gives me a (positive) bfme feel. Sounds and visuals. Shame that no other game really tried the bmfe formula in RTS training small groups of units, I think it would fit the overall more arcade gameplay of this game very well.

vota DC

Augur
This game gives me a (positive) bfme feel. Sounds and visuals. Shame that no other game really tried the bmfe formula in RTS training small groups of units, I think it would fit the overall more arcade gameplay of this game very well.
I think a Hokuto no Ken game with bfme formula would be nice. Bfme is an improved Warcraft 3 formula without creeping autism.

Okagron

Prophet
Or the charm of Age of Mythology campaign
Replayed AoM last year and the campaign, at least for the base game and the Titans expansion, is still a lot of fun. Plenty of creative scenarios, some solid characters and it's overall still pretty fun.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Haven't played BFME or WC3 but AoE3 had batch training of units for the Russian and Chinese civs. All other civs could make 1-5 of the same unit (besides artillery) in one go as well.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I must admit, Relic did commission some decent bonus content for the campaigns.

Most of the documentary clips are by prestigious people like Tobias Capwell (pretty much the expert on medieval armour).

I've also found the French and Russian campaigns to be better than the English/Norman campaign. The missions tend to have a little more variety to them.

Still not a patch on AOE 2, but we aren't exactly overflowing in classic style RTS.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Know what's amazing about this one? Been playing it a bit, and so far, not a single kang in sight. Didn't think such a thing was possible in the year of our Lord current.

Other than female khans and scouts, there doesn't seem to be a lot of wokeness in this one.

There is the usual circlejerking over Joan of Arc, but she only appears in 2 missions and AOE 2 did much the same thing over 20 years ago.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
There is the usual circlejerking over Joan of Arc, but she only appears in 2 missions and AOE 2 did much the same thing over 20 years ago.
I had the distinct impression they didn't just want to repeat the AoE2 campaign so they only brushed over Joan a bit and covered more other stuff, instead.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I had the distinct impression they didn't just want to repeat the AoE2 campaign so they only brushed over Joan a bit and covered more other stuff, instead.

Yeah it was 2 missions rather than the whole campaign. Joan of Arc really gets overhyped considering the entire interesting history of the Hundred Years war.

I guess that's sort of the point of figureheads and mascots.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't that how Dawn of War work too?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Played Chinese for the first time today, 2-3 skirmishes.

... Is it just me or is their aging up confusing?

I read somewhere that you should be able to select somehow which dynasty you level up with, but for me, they are all locked and once I actually advance in age, the dynasty seems to be set in stone.
If any nation would've required a campaign to get you started, it would've been them.

I dig the number of unique units on them, though.
And tax collectors automatically walking around, making me some profit without a need to micro? Hell, yeah.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
(...snip)But what can you do, (snip...)

You can stick to better games like AoE 2.

And the Definitive Edition (which is as faithful as a remake can be) still receives regular patches and even DLCs with new campaigns and playable civs, ensuring that AoE2 will stay alive and well for at least another 20 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom