Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age Of Fear 4: The Iron Killer

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
trust me, i don't want it easier either! :) I just played how Les tuned it and it was too late by then to really go back. Lesson learned.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
the Sniper Pistol has been reworked, it includes:

Triple Damage (+1 if Fire Pistol is dual wielded)
Camouflage (doesn't break invisibility on shot, Dryad Huntress, Goblin Assassin and Ranger also get this ability now)
Precision
Sniper Shot (long range)

very nice, eh? Would have been useful in Victor's battle, heh. Err, against Franky. :P

I'm close to finishing the game but ive been taking it slow. Going to try and wrap it up soon! :)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
That's a nice buff, sniper pistol had a niche use with its range but the loss of multifire rarely made it worth taking.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
That's a nice buff, sniper pistol had a niche use with its range but the loss of multifire rarely made it worth taking.

Agreed. Now it seems like a pretty decent tradeoff. Although the 5 attacks of the Tesla Pistol is hard to top! :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I’ve been wanting to check out this series for a while. Will I be completely lost if I start with the latest one?

You can jump in at any point, really. I started with 2, then played 3, then 1. They've all got their own standalone storylines and the campaigns start with easy missions and become progressively more challenging.

I’ve been wanting to check out this series for a while. Will I be completely lost if I start with the latest one?

You can jump in at any point, really. I started with 2, then played 3, then 1. They've all got their own standalone storylines and the campaigns start with easy missions and become progressively more challenging.

Cool. Are there substantial QoL enhancements/feature refinements that would make it hard to go back to earlier entries?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Cool. Are there substantial QoL enhancements/feature refinements that would make it hard to go back to earlier entries?

No. The dev goes back to apply new updates to all the games in the series (for AoF1, it's the GOLD edition that gets updated, the original no longer does, so there's no real reason to get the non-GOLD).
Originally, AoF 1 and 2 didn't have optional random battles in which you could grind gold and XP, that feature was only added with AoF 3. But the dev retroactively added the feature to the older games in the series.
Same with any other major engine/gameplay addition.

Whenever some major new element is added to the series, it gets ported to all the games. The dev has an excellent attitude towards keeping the older games in the series alive.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
so i beat the game! great journey overall, really enjoyed it. Last battle was pretty fun (and quite easy) and it's very cool that there's postgame content. Going to finish up the story-based postgame content and then wrap it up. I might try the weird runic machine thing, which apparently is a very tough challenge, but that will be about it. Very good game and a great release in the series. My next move (after a decent break) is going to be tackling either AOF2 as the Greenskins or AOF3 as the Dwarves. We'll see. Good stuff! <3

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Case in point on the updates: I am still in the undead campaign of Age of Fear: The Undead King Gold. The game is several years old now.
Suddenly, after a recent patch, my ghost units could turn invisible as a special ability.
That never existed before.
It was added in a new patch, to ALL the Age of Fear games!

Love the way this dev supports his games.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, his level of commitment over a ten year period is super inspiring and impressive. He also plans on porting the Sea People faction back to all the previous games, so not only could you fight against them, u could potentially recruit them, too! Very cool. I'll try to get a Naga Archer in any campaign I play, heh. :)

Shitposter
seriously I have two of these games installed and literally every time I've opened steam for the past month they've both had some new update
these 5 year old single player tbs games with combined playerbase of 10 people receive more updates than every other game on steam combined

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yep, he's constantly updating, and there's a new game in the works too! Can't wait for that one, featuring a ratmen race. :) Also, there's some significant modding work being done by top AOF modders, and some stuff I can't speak about yet. Plenty of AOF is coming, though, heh. :) <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
i will pass that on! i think we'll see some interesting new races in the future for sure. i'd like to see the Underdark mod enhanced which features Beholders and Mindflayers, etc.. :)

yikes! I forgot to post my "go-to" party (even though i would swap units based on how effective i felt they'd be in a given battle):

1 Angela
2 Nazell
3 Crab God
4 Naga Archer
5 Naga Archer
6 Sea Witch
7 Mermaid
8 War Ogre
9 Kraken
10 Valkyrie
11 Valkyrie

I leveled everyone up with the Moon Well, heh. Fun stuff! I also had a Beastmaster, Knight, Mage, 2 Mermaids, Goblin Assassin, Dryad Huntress, Venemous Sea Snake, Sea Diver Warrior and a few others in reserve.

Really loved the Naga Archer's multishot. Especially against Constructs or when the Sea Witch made it rain for 2x damage. :)

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This thread inspired me to give Age of Fear 1 another shot. I had bounced off it because it is hard. Hard in the sense that it's stupidly easy to screw your campaign, not just by losing a unit but even by choosing the wrong skills or spreading XP incorrectly among your troops.

After restarting the campaign many times, now I think I have a handle on it at hard. One big hurdle was that the games advises you to do two stupid things in the tips.

1. Always fill out your roster - Nice way to fill your army full of garbage in the early campaign and never have enough concentrated XP for them to actually be anything but dead weight later on. Also, your total army unit value is used for certain calculations when it comes to side content so you are basically screwing yourself by taking on anybody you don't have an immediate use for.

2. Never leave XP unspent - Again, nice way to waste XP on frivolities when a skill up that might provide game changing additional HP might only be another battle away.

Absolutely fantastic game once you crack what's going on though, things like realising that you gain XP by doing actions and not necessarily with kills make a big difference. It's a pity the tips couldn't be a little more helpful, maybe I would have needed three restarts instead of seven to beat those goblin sappers.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In here the oldest game is Age of Fear 2

https://store.steampowered.com/franchise/age-of-fear

Where the hell is Age of Fear 1? Downloading age of fear 2 btw, hopefully it's nice.
Age of fear: The undead king is the first part.
Release date is later so that doubted me. For some reason they decided to release the 2nd game on steam earlier.

Btw if you are going to buy the 1st game at all, buy the Gold version.

Or if you just want to try the game you can download the Open World one

Üstad

Arcane

I already own Age of Fear: Undead King, AoF 2 Chaos Lord Gold, AoF Free World, AoF 3 The legend. I didn't realize first game had gold edition not sure if I wasn't paying attention or they did a poor job advertising it on the steam page.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I already own Age of Fear: Undead King, AoF 2 Chaos Lord Gold, AoF Free World, AoF 3 The legend. I didn't realize first game had gold edition not sure if I wasn't paying attention or they did a poor job advertising it on the steam page.

The Gold Edition seems to be a sort of engine rewrite so it is on par with the others newer games. Big difference I know is, well, DLC support.

And until AoF 4 I think its a just small team, and their news page are all bloated with the frequent update backport they are doing so yeah

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom