Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders: Planetfall - AoW gone to space

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.aow-planetfall.com

https://af.gog.com/game/age_of_wonders_planetfall?as=1649904300

ss_c277db0098467822b465cc73fe20e7c794f3ecc9.jpg

ss_3ce7b214cce3eb3559b01149f6a211c8e278e9f1.jpg

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is the new strategy game from Triumph Studios, creators of the critically acclaimed Age of Wonders and Overlord series, bringing all the exciting tactical-turn based combat and in-depth 4X empire building of its predecessors to space in an all-new sci-fi setting.

Emerge from the cosmic dark age of a fallen galactic empire to craft a new future for your people. Explore the planetary ruins and encounter other surviving factions that have each evolved in their own way, as you unravel the history of a shattered civilization. Fight, build, negotiate and technologically advance your way to utopia, in a deep single player campaign, on random maps and against friends in multiplayer.

Tactical Turn-Based Sci-Fi Combat
Perfect your combat strategy in intense turn-based battles that offer tactical challenges, a large cast of races, units with customizable weapons, and destructible environments.

Discover a Rich Science Fiction World
Uncover the history of the fallen galactic empire as you explore lush landscapes, and experience the emergent story. Encounter NPC factions and rival houses, and discover hidden technologies that can strengthen your society and give you advantage over enemies.

Planetary Empire Building
Create your own unique House, and build prosperous colonies through economic specializations of planetary sectors and governing doctrines.

Multiple Paths to Victory
Achieve your end goals through conquest, diplomacy or doomsday technologies. Engrossing options with NPC factions and rival Houses won’t make the decisions easy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bara

Arcane
Full interview's scheduled later today and a Q&A tomorrow but they mentioned some extra stuff right after the trailer.

I wonder if it'll be possibly to rip age of wonders 3 assets and put them in Planetfall. I'd like to play a 4x Spelljammer.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
https://www.aow-planetfall.com/
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/age-of-wonders-planetfall/PFPF01GSK0000001-MASTER.html

GOG is so far not listed as a distribution platform (Paradox Launcher and Steam only). Linux is not supported as an OS (then again Age of Wonders 3 was only Linux-supported through Steam libs, GOG version had no support). But it is coming to Playstation 4 and X-Box One, which is incredibly fucking dubious for a TBS, and strangely the game page lists that it will have no controller support (how are the console players going to play it then?). Also it's a safe bet that Planetfall is going to be more DRM-heavy with the absence of the GOG platform where all the other Age of Wonders games were published. Even before Paradox's acquisition, AoW 3 also used the Triumph server account system as a DRM-wall for multiplayer, to the point of demanding that you log into Triumph servers with an official serial just to play "LAN" and "PBEM" games. The implication is pretty fucking unsubtle on the "Buy Age of Wonders" button you see when the game tries to get you to log in to their online servers with a serial. For a brief moment I thought I was on a demo or shit then I realized there is no demo for AoW 3 and I have a full version I bought and paid for but I'm just being treated to obnoxious DRM crippleware. To be honest if they didn't do that they would probably be complaining more about how AoW 3's weak sales were caused by pirates (the age old equation for sales lost to piracy tends to be: "sales I wish I had" minus "sales I actually have" and then you punish paying customers by treating them like pirates). On launch, AoW 3's GOG edition even tried to make you have to log in to their servers with a serial just to play singleplayer but GOG got on their case fast because they couldn't be selling fullblown DRM (they were fine with the multiplayer DRM-wall though) and Triumph had to unlock the singleplayer. Since Paradox bought up Triumph Studios I'm pretty sure they want to recoup their investment so I guess we can expect more nickel-and-diming, but we'll see.

Announcement at PDXCon. These guys are not very good presenters but there is some info in there and not so much bullshit. Recap of gameplay shit they mentioned:
  • In-campaign procedural generation (supposed to improve replayability)
  • Combat will be more range-focused with cover mechanics
  • Destructible terrain in combat
  • Unit modification system where you can upgrade units (example was giving a marine a jetpack or flamethrower) to tailor units to specific threats and keep them relevant towards the endgame. (AoW 3's endgame is notoriously T3 and T4 heavy.)
  • Maps are divided into sectors (these are not terrain types - it's mostly about resource nodes and that kind of thing)
  • Win conditions are divided into conquest, technology, diplomacy, and economic victories.
Aside from that they said there will be a Q&A on Sunday where they will answer more questions about the game.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Why they left fantasy

Why everyone goes scifi

:negative:

Age of wonders was unique, basically the only grand strategy game with dedicated tactical battles.

Now it enters in the territory of Xcom, Phoenix point, xenonauts, etc. If they kept fantasy they would still be unique, but now...

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Kinda disappointing to see another SF 4X game when you can probably count on one hand how many of their fantasy counterparts are out there. They didn't botch AoW3 so I guess that's reason enough to be hopeful, at least. Now it remains to see how they'll operate under Paradox.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Looks nice. Hopefully the change in setting will result in some more creativity in the world building and faction variety departments. I liked AoW3, but it was kind of uninspired in those areas. Also, wouldn't this be the first game of this type? I mean light 4X with turn-based tactical battles. There are games like that in space and in fantasy settings, but not exploring an alien planet a la SMAC. XCOM and friends are not really similar since their strategy layer isn't very 4X-like (for one thing they lack the eXplore part).

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
graphics look bad

Same quality textures as aow 3 released 4 years ago

Xcom 2 looks better

This is 2018

?????????????

Graphic is good for a title like that. Setting in the problem

ss_3ce7b214cce3eb3559b01149f6a211c8e278e9f1.jpg

This looks like 2008 graphics.

It's not like they're limited by consoles.. I have 8gb vram and I WANT TO USE IT DAMMIT

mitochondritom

Educated
Why they left fantasy

Why everyone goes scifi

:negative:

Age of wonders was unique, basically the only grand strategy game with dedicated tactical battles.

Now it enters in the territory of Xcom, Phoenix point, xenonauts, etc. If they kept fantasy they would still be unique, but now...

Its OK friend, think of this game as a way to get an updated engine and systems for the inevitable Age of Wonders IV that will proceed after it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Raping a corpse!

A generic sci-fi splodge set in the dead world of "Age of wonders". Not interested in even pirating that shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
As long as they give us interesting and creative alien races, I'm all for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom