Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ah unbox mah nu gayme

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Gotz stuff in da mail 2dai:

1_zps7db453a5.jpg

It be a box? What bee init?

2_zps93fb3178.jpg

Dats like a gayme wit munsterz n stuff!

3_zps73bc922e.jpg

Wauw, dat shit got some stuff in dere!

4_zps086b5ce1.jpg

CRISPY! He like all up in mah fayz goin waterfockzgoinoun!

7_zps94bf6160.jpg

Doze r sum o de protagonix...pretaginis...prototye...peeps it be all about n shit.

8_zpsdc1306d6.jpg

Dat be cartz for bursting a cap in munster-assez.

9_zpse20cfdd6.jpg

Diz iz assez of otter cartz. LOL

5_zpse2fc9c78.jpg

Da bored!

6_zpsc89c46e7.jpg

Itz god liek yurop and shiet so u now itz bling! Look itz gotz 1 o dem mounted everest 2!

10_zpsc651a011.jpg

Otter swag. Carbored swag wit blu n reed and munsterz and trainz and sheit.

11_zps1b0519f5.jpg

Urz trooly don n baggit dat suckah! I bee fly!

13_zps42746531.jpg

It bee looky dat liek inactuon!

12_zpsce2702ba.jpg

Nauw mah baybe ain no 1ly chiell no morez!

Dat be it. U jelly? :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Eldritch horror basically supplants Arkham Horror. I've played both (and own EH). There's no reason to go back to Arkham once you got Eldritch.

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
How do you two braggarts stand on the expansions? For both games?
I only have to Arkham expansions. I can't comment on EH because I only own the vanilla game.

Playing with expansions it's pretty cool, specially with new mechanics. The issue is when you mix vanilla cards with expansion cards. You barely get to see any expansion card in game. Unless you use other method to pick up an event card.

I also own Elder Sign, although very simple, it's fun and the setup is faster.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should only get AH expansions if you get enough mileage of the core game and want some more variety and complexity (also a higher difficulty level). Otherwise, it would be pointless as you would use maybe 50% of the components, which is poor value for money.

Last edited:

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Ran a game with a couple of mates this Friday, resulting in Azathoth descending from the center of the universe to devour earth and ending humanity's petty reign. It was pretty great, in fact i would agree with Ulminati that it is indeed a better game than Arkham horror. An Lp of this might be fun.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This game will fuck you in the asshole slightly more gently than AH does. As far as co-op games go I'll say that Ronbinson Crusoe is still much more fun in the long run.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
Damn that's a HUGE board! I watched some plays of this game and it seems really random with the dice based mission completion.

Misconnected

Savant
I've been thinking about picking it up for a couple of weeks now. Any chance you'll do a mini review, Tzaero?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ran a game with a couple of mates this Friday, resulting in Azathoth descending from the center of the universe to devour earth and ending humanity's petty reign.
We played this on weekend night 24/25 of May (the game is pretty long), and we got the same result. Most players liked it more than Arkham Horror (the rest liked it equally), because it gave them the same type of entertainment, while being much less fiddly.

It is one of these games that leave you with stories to tell later (my favourite kind). For example, we had this dumb sailor on our team, whose Lore stat = 1 (as little as possible), which means he has around 1/3 chance suceeding at a Lore test. He made six or seven such tests over the course of the game, and never failed. So we had Silas, the well-read sailor, who plays dumb to fool people.

Still, the game left some people a bit sore because it kicked our collective arse pretty hard, 'due to randomness'. I do not really feel this was the case, though, because we made some really dumb decisions at various points, so we should really blame ourselves. The game is rather random, but for me it only adds to the appeal, because it should not be very repetitive.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any chance you'll do a mini review, Tzaero?

Before reading Mindjammer Fate didnt quite sit right with me till but now im sort of warming up to it.
Theres plenty of stuff in here about running a fate game.
The mechanics in the book are modular and you dont need to use all of them.
You could run something like traveller in this and even more.

Characters could either be an organic being or a construct, whether that be an AI, a space ship or even a space station.
Generating characters and the setting probably would be a session in itself.

The setting has obvious parallels to the Bank's culture but its more human-centric.
The Commonwealth of Humanity which is the focus of the setting is like the culture/federation and is intent on incorperating colony worlds and raising living standards.
While centrally planned on core worlds, the commonwealth operates a market economy on the fringe worlds yet to be fully incorperated.
FTL has only been achieved in space travel so ships transport data to various mindscapes in the galaxy.

At first I thought the amount of fiction on the setting in the book was a little short, but then again more a framework and its enough to work with.
Its suggested that you could play the commonwealth straight as it is, a corrupt bueaurocracy or even a dystopic dictatorship.
The antagonists of the setting, the Venu, is obviously the Imperium of Man and doesn't sit right with me but they can easily be swapped out though or even removed completely.
Already someone has put on the net another take on the Venu as a twisted take on the commonwealth forcibly uploading humans into their mindscape in order to prevent suffering.

What I found pretty interesting was cultures and how they're represented as aspects and tracked.
Theres rules for cultures advancing, conflicting and assimilating.
These could be used on a smaller scale on an indiviual planet in a cultural operation and they'd also would work on a larger scale with whole civilisations, like say during during a war and how that society is affected and adapts.

You've also got rules for the mindscape which is a transhuman internet/virtual landscape which I haven't really thought of using.

Theres a lot of tables here to generate to all the stuff you'd need from aliens to systems to cultures to organizations.
Planetary generation can end up insanely detailed with things like day lengths to atmospheric pressure.
If you're trying to generate a detailed planet for population best to stay in the middle of the tables.
Theres a little bit of content towards the end for posthuman characters like inteligences distributed over many bodies, immortal minds to cyborgs should you want to delve into more transcending aspects of SF.

If all goes to plan I'll probably post how the session on the weekend went.
Free free to ask questions and ill check the book.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Here's a pretty good video where a long-time Arkham Horror player, who also played around 10-15 game of Eldritch Horror, compares both games (it's actually the last video in his Let's Play EH series).

Skunkpew

Augur
I agree with that video in general, and for me Eldritch Horror hasn't supplanted Arkham. For some reason, even though Arkham is the game that least hits the tone of the Lovecraftian universe, it's still the most fun overall. There's nothing better in Arkham Horror than creeping about, in the midst of the madness, to arm yourself up and score some artifacts, and to actually set yourself apart from the other players and to advance beyond your starting stats. There's also more impetus and satisfaction in killing monsters, collecting monster tokens, and using these to level-up in unique ways. In Eldritch, you're so limited by time that you can't really do that much. There's actually less reason to randomly pick a character, or pick a character that seems less interesting, because if your character is shit to begin with there's little chance of ever becoming useful. And to fix this, they simply removed more options from the game, so that a shit character becomes more equal as a result of there being fewer possible things that can be done. Eldritch itself is also never quite so terrifying, since you can move through spaces with monsters and easily avoid any conflict the whole game if you choose, and nothing directly happening on the board really matters as much as just completing the story.

Eldritch added the one thing I hate most about Euros (and I love Euros): an inherent turn limit to the game. In most scenarios, you may only have 14-18 turns, and if you roll poorly, or if you go to the wrong location, or if you fail to collect a clue token, then you basically lose the game for yourself. They actually put more focus on successful dice rolling, while ostensibly moving away from pure Ameritrash dice rolling. The story-based events of Eldritch are a step upwards no doubt, and the card-based events for Clue Tokens and Gates is more interesting, but the game still just funnels you through that story with no option of choice or investigation. It's cheesy though that once those mythos cards run out the game just ends. That's the corniest design choice ever for an Ameritrash game. When the cards run out, the Ancient One should awaken at full strength or something. At least in Arkham, the game ends thematically. And there's also fewer cards in Eldritch Horror, so that in a few playthroughs you'll basically see them all, although obviously the expansions will continue to add new cards. Yet the new expansion has even started to introduce new features (i.e. poison) and these new features will eventually become too fiddly and too unwieldly in time, just like in Arkham Horror.

Eldritch continues the design desicions that I dislike the most about Mansions of Madness. Mansions of Madness looks so damn epic, but when playing, it becomes such a letdown. I can't quite tell exactly why this is, but the lack of choice and the linear story without any real development or involvement by the players is akin to the modern decline in video games. The player is more or less just going through the motions and the story is perfunctory. Not that Arkham has any real mystery or overarching story, but at least it doesn't pretend to have one. At least in Arkham, the players can go anywhere they want and investigate anything they want at any time, and aren't funnelled down a storyline.

In the end, I rate both Arkham and Eldritch an 8/10, since both have their bonuses and failings. Despite the game mechanisms having almost nothing to do with how the Lovecraftian universe works, Arkham Horror is at least situated inside Arkham and the surrounding towns, and the characters from the stories themselves exist in the game, and this helps to nail down the theme in a way that Eldritch never does. After three playthrough, Eldritch still doesn't feel very Cthulu-like to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom