Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AI: The Somnium Files - A Jap novel/adventure game

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was bored and decided to check Cohh channel,and he was playing this....game. I thought that it is pretty interesting with good humour and maybe some interesting adventure gameplay. So i decided to create this thread,maybe someone else here will like it.

H2x1_NSwitch_AiTheSomniumFiles_image1600w.jpg

In a near-future Tokyo, detective Kaname Date is on the case of a mysterious serial killer. Date must investigate crime scenes as well as dreams on the hunt for clues. From the mind of Kotaro Uchikoshi (Zero Escape series director), with character design by the Yusuke Kozaki (NO MORE HEROES, Fire Emblem series), a thrilling neo-noir detective adventure is about to unfold.

STORY
One rainy night in November, a woman's body is found at an abandoned theme park, mounted on a merry-go-round horse. She had been stabbed repeatedly, and her left eye was gouged out.
Kaname Date of the Metropolitan Police Department arrives on the scene. He recognizes the woman. Suddenly, he hears a noise from inside the merry-go-round.
He breaks into the merry-go-round's central column to find a young girl. And in her hands, she grips a bloody ice pick...

And some Cohh gameplay to see if it is your thing.

Dodo1610

Arcane
AI Somium files is really great. It has this bizarre humour that you only get in Japanese games, I don't remember the last time a game made me laugh this much. Also, enjoy the murder mystery in this, there aren't many characters in this novel but they are all connected. The ream puzzles are really unique since you can't solve them with real-life logic.
How you solve these dream puzzles decides how the story continues which changes which characters you are meeting and how they react to you. It definitely goes beyond what you see in most VNs with choices. Though you have to go through all routes to fully understand the game's story luckily you can simply jump to the points where the story diverges with a menu so you don't have to go through everything again.

I am now 7h in and really enjoying it definitely the best VN I have played this year.

Finished it after 20h. I can only repeat myself I love this game. The final ending alone is one of the best things I have ever seen in a video game. Seriously :5/5: VN

hexer

This is on my wishlist, glad to hear it's good! I'm not picking it up yet, I'm playing other adventure games right now. Maybe in January

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finished the game. Kind of a mixed bag. It kept me interested till the very end, but I felt like there's too much silly and irritating stuff thrown into the mix. Previous Uchikoshi's games were dead serious, and I expected this one to be the same.

Some screens:
24B08769A57F067D776DAC90C7616C996FA8F4E6

F5492E66618ABD27ACB9BD196815D405DABC4C2E

FF450DB722D66D931E2B6C53A46B2B484DD3CAF5

008A0ACBF4BBBBFBDD234C488C2F621BF317C8ED

GreyViper

Prophet
Is this similar to the Phoenix Wright games?
Not quite, more of a point-and-click adventure. The main gimmick is putting facts from different endings together to get the true end. Honestly kind of sad to say but EVE Burst Error was a better detective game since it didn't hold the hands and in the end, you had to come up with who dun it and when.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it's not a good detective game, but still an enjoyable game due to its writing, characters and presentation.

let me quote a part of my review here:

What doesn’t work about the puzzle is there is only a vague logic behind them. I kinda get the aim of the developer. Zero Escape’s puzzles are based on logic and mind games. I guess with AI, Kotaro wanted to create the opposite of that, a puzzle room where physics is unpredictable and logic got thrown out of the window to convey chaotic, dreamlike state of mind. It’s just the interactions are so unpredictable, a good amount of time players will resort to trial and error. Piled up with the time limit, players will rewind a lot of time. There is still some “logic” to the puzzles but in a more abstract way. For example the somnium are usually locations that are memorable to the subject such as their house. If you pay attention to the characters’ dialogue and story they will give you clues to how to solve the puzzles.

The silver lining is failure isn't always frustrating. Some of the funniest jokes in the game are from failing to solve the puzzles. I think it’s quite a brilliant foil to the gameplay that relies on trial and error to hide some of the best dialogue behind some of the failure state. One of my favorite examples is having Aiba drinking from a mop bucket. These hilarious jokes dampens the frustration of trying over and over again.

Zombra

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

Posted above. Apparently Uchikosi went through a bit of a depressive phase and there was a blue-haired checkbox person that said nice things to him. Which is fair enough, but going from that to *LGBT PEOPLE ARE KINDER AND BETTER THAN ANYONE* by pure virtue of belonging to said *community* makes me think think there has been some influencing going on along with said *kindness*.

Ialda

Learned
Is this similar to the Phoenix Wright games?

More like 999/VLR if you played them : VN sequences interspersed with escape room puzzles.

I love the "talented" and "artistic" propaganda.
Videogames (and culture) are similar to kids : as LGBT people can't produce their own, they colonize non-LGBT people culture and kids to tout themselves as the God-given elites above the bigoted, unwashed cis masses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom