Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Alan Wake 2 prototype

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/4/20/8450329/alan-wake-2-prototype-video-interview

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman The House Always Wins Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I read a rumour that they are pitching a new take on the sequel to various publichers now. I hope it gets made eventually (and not as an XBOX exclusive...), as I have really enjoyed the original game.

^ Top  
  3. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Huh? None of those things are unique to Alan Wake.

Redefine storytelling? What?

I don't know what people see in that game. It's goddam pretty, that's for sure, but the gameplay was very boring and the story is a typical Stephen King Night Shift-era romp.

Also, based off how Microsoft's been doing the gaming business as of late, I think an "Alan Wake: HD" version will hit before we ever see a sequel.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. Muty Prophet Patron

Muty
    Wasteland 2 BattleTech
    Translation: Episodic gaming sucks donkey balls and only works when released as whole game. News at 11.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    Alan Wake was terribly written. I didn't finish it and somebody told me that the hackneyed story makes sense in the end, but it was seriously bad in the parts I played. You don't write a story about a bestselling novelist without having decently written dialogue yourself...

I've also heard people say it had a "Twin Peaks" vibe, but it seems like people think the Twin Peaks vibe comes from pine trees and a small mysterious town.

Also birdman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDj7ojo0j4U
    And it was done a bazillion times before TSW did it (Didn't Bioshock Infinite have a hype trailer with that as well?)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    The ending (of the gnomeplay segment) seems like a nod to a scene from one of the early drafts of AWake (the UFO).

^ Top  
  7. thesoup Arcane

thesoup

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    So it's gonna be in development until something like 2021 if the original is of any indication.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    I loved Alan Wake so much. Mostly because of Twin Peaks but still.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. thesoup Arcane

thesoup

Am I the only one who got bored by Twin Dicks?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro

Oh, thank God. One of the most overrated games of the last few years. Total hipster 2derp4u narrative wrapped around tedious flashlight shining and shooting. Waste of a good engine/physics.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    If I had first watched it as an adult I probably wouldn't like it.

^ Top  
  12. thesoup Arcane

thesoup

People should issue trigger warnings for this kind of shit. Example:
    "I really love twin peaks. Trigger warning: I watched it for the first time before I was legally allowed to drink."
    Would save me the trouble of watching a lot of shitty pilot episodes.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ovplain Arcane Patron

Ovplain
    RPG Wokedex
    EVERYBODY got bored of it. There's a stretch of episodes in the second season that are just BRUTAL and nigh unwatchable, it's a common fact.

Still, I did enjoy the first season immensely and some of the second season. Also an X-Files and Stephen King fan. So i couldn't help but enjoy the fuck out of Alan Wake.:S Would love to visit Bright Falls again.:/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Trigger warning on everything in the Codex top 100.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    David Lynch - after originally agreeing to write and direct the whole thing, dropped out a few episodes into season 2. He had massively underestimated the amount of work involved in doing all the writing and directing and showrunning for a major tv series. He did it without much warning, and it pissed off Kyle Mclachlan enough that it ended their collaborative relationship that had been going since lynch's first few projects (they're buddies again now, and mended their differences in time for Mclachlan to do a few scenes for Firewalk With Me, but it was McLaughlin's refusal to commit to a full film with Lynch while he was still angry at him that forced Lynch 2 make FWM a prequel instead of continuing the story - Mclachlan has said that as far as the new series is concerned, he's in if Lynch is in. Then again, he is almost single handedly rescuing Agents of Shield this season, as Hyde - it's basically dull old AoS interspersed with the-awesome-kyle-mchlachlan-is-awesome-show at this point - so they might throw him a few buckets of money to hang around).

Unfortunately, good writers aren't always good at managing OTHER writers (see also Stephen Moffitt with Dr Who), and the quality dropped massively when Lynch left. Yes that's speculative, but note the point when Lynch took over the writing again later in season. Actually, I'll put it in spoilers so you can guess (it's exactly the answer you would expect it to be)
    Show Spoiler
    when the murder spree chess game ramps up between Agent Cooper and Windom Earle, pulling the show from its daytime soap rut into a 3-way battle between the forces of light (Cooper, the major, the white lodge etc) v the forces of supernatural evil (the black lodge etc) v human evil (Windom Earle)

If you like Twin Peaks, watch Fortitude (is going to get a second season, but 1st season is very much written as a stand alone series, with all the major characters having full story arcs or, for most of them, being... uh... unavailable for any season 2. Sort of a cross between a British Twin Peaks and a modern day Lovecraft story.

The naturalistic setting will cause many to miss the Lovecraft aspects (don't expect Cthulu to rock up) but it's exactly how you'd expect a Lovecraft story to be written today. I'll put this in spoilers so I don't ruin it, but once you see the story pattern it's all there :
    Show Spoiler
    set in an isolated town that's full of modernist human arrogance but at the mercy of forces infinitely more powerful than they - instead of old gods, it's nature itself. Middle of the Arctic, where the wildlife, ie polar bears, prey on the humans, trapped by winter and at the start the town is trying to 'defeat' nature by building a tourist resort to put the place 'on the map' as a major holiday destination. An endeavour so arrogant that they don't realise it's entirely futile due to their insignificance in the faces of forces beyond their control - as the Russian says in the last episode 'you fucking idiots! The hotel was never going to be built - the glacier MOVES!!'And an ancient, horrific evil has been awakened - parasitic wasps, of the same kind that led Darwin to say that God cannot exist for no benevolent being would have created them, but which infest mammals instead of arachnids - whose larva control their hosts, turning them murderous in order to spread, before eating them from the inside out. Ie nature, ancient (the larva having been preserved in a mammoth fossil), faceless, massive, and underlying modern anxieties, stepping in for Lovecraft's use of religion and the supernatural.

And the main character? Exactly how you'd do a Lovecraft protagonist today. A detective who's a renaissance man: educated in just about everything, a great analytical thinker, sent to Fortitude to crack the mystery behind this closed town, that's full of secrets and decidedly hostile to outside eyes being cast upon them. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else because he IS smarter than everyone else, but he doesn't know the town, its ways or its people, and his belief that he can solve the mystery through the greatness of his rational mind proves to be his undoing. Like every Lovecraft protagonist, he's the epitome of a 'great man', but still the last to know what's really going on.

And then, the final cleansing with fire. Except it's already established that the wasps have passed into the local polar bear population, not gone but hidden, their re-emergence an inevitability

Less spoilerific, don't pay much attention to the people saying it's like Lost. In fact one of its strengths stands out in contrast to Lost. As major characters die or lose their ability to wield influence over the town, you get the feeling that each loss (even when it's just something like a town official fucking up in a way that compromises their integrity within the investigation) is taking its toll on the town's chance of survival. They're cut off and only have so many leaders to call upon, before they start running out.
    Show Spoiler
    I particularly liked the part where it hits home how badly losing the archaeologist and the doctor has fucked them, leading to a PhD student and a lab assistant trying to run spinal fluid tests while repeatedly having to answer 'I don't know' to questions the doc could have answered, until ending up in a trap the archaeologist could have avoided

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Wayward Pines books by Blake Crouch are a nice love letter to Twin Peaks. About to air as a terrible tv miniseries.

^ Top  
  17. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Originally Alan Wake was designed as a horror sandbox filled with Twin Peaks atmosphere. But Remedy soon realised how shitty is the Xbox 360 and had to butcher that idea to release the final version of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I didn't care much about Alan Wake until I got it for 10 Jewro on Steam, but was pleasantly surprised by it's masterful storytelling and it's meticulous attention to detail. A game made by artists that care about their craft and take their time, not some fucking game factory that shits out fast food on an annual cadence. I'm also quite excited about Quantum Break. Remedy are pros and bros.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sul Savant

Sul
    I really enjoyed Alan Wake, even if what we got was a mere shell of what it once was before Microsoft grabbed it and made an X360 (timed) exclusive. Superb atmosphere.
    Is American Nightmare any good?

^ Top  
  20. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Arguably better, if a little truncated.

^ Top  
  21. keppj0nes Educated

keppj0nes
    I am more interested in the Alan Wake 1 I will never play. I still remember all the videos and promotional info about the earlier version of Alan Wake before it became an uninteresting consoletard mess.

^ Top  
  22. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The shooting mechanics feel more natural and are way better.

^ Top  
  23. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    You should write for IGN.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.