Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Oct 21, 2013.

1. orcinator Liturgist

orcinator
    Nothing will go wrong if you figure out you can just spray as it pounces.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Alright, I'm done with this game. I'm just fucking tired that every animation locks you into position and you can't break out of it until the animation is ended. This is what is wrong with fucking AAA games nowadays. Everything has to be smoothly animated.

The alien is just around the corner, coming closer, but you have to show the player the computer login animation for the 100th time. Oh, the alien has just entered the room and you should hide right now. Sorry, we have to finish the box opening animation. Fuck! You! But wait, the alien is coming, but for some goddamned reason the Press E to Climb prompt is not showing when I'm standing in front of a vent-hole, and can't enter. Then the alien gets me. Fuck You Too!

I'm not wasting my precious time when there is Psychonauts 2 waiting for me.

• Funny x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    I happened to comment before on this.
    Those moments where you have to go through all the motions to perform a task may indeed seem annoying (ok, they are) but I've come to appreciate how perfectly they fit the theme and how they add to the later portions of the game.
    Sure, you hate wasting time in mundane tasks, at first. But when it comes the time when you have to perform them with the alien coming after you, it's another kind of feeling entirely.
    So many moments of movie-like tension.
    It might not be for everyone, but it adds realism, and makes managing to elude the alien after opening a door in a hurry truly memorable.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    I agree, but J_C is right too. The critical piece is that the animations can't be interrupted. I don't want to take 25 seconds to take out the special door-opening tool, leisurely test the tightness, then push it around to twist the door open when the alien is running straight at me. I want to move my ass. There were several moments like J_C's in my playthrough also and far from an improved cinematic feel, it broke immersion and stomped on the chunks.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Unfortunately I can't appreciate these moments, I hate them in every game. I really dislike long-winded animations, when they are for mundane tasks you perform hundreds of times throughout a game.

My best example is Thief vs Thi4f. In the original Thief games, when you wanted to pick something up, you just looked at it, clicked, and the item just disappeared and you picked it up. In Thi4f, your character goes through an animation where he leans forward a bit, holds out the hand, grabs the item and pulls it back. It takes almost a second. Now imagine that in the game you have to pick up hundreds of items. I just can't stand it. I'm not getting immersed, I'm not like "wow, I almost feel like I'm in the game, grabbing the items". No, I just want to progress in the game, but the game is not letting me.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Disagree here. Sure, sometimes animations are repetitive and add nothing, but other times when they are done well they add a nice sense of pace. We were just talking about this in the RDR2 thread earlier this week. Personally I'm not one who plays games to get them over with as soon as possible.

^ Top  
  7. Inconceivable Learned

Inconceivable
    I didn't notice any problem at all with the animations, when I played the game.
    Alien: Isolation is one of the few first-person games I felt compelled to tune down from Hard to Normal though. Usually I play most games on hard, since most games nowadays are tuned for squishy casual gamers. But on hard-mode the alien was just a bit too omniscient and annoying for me to have fun.

^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Rumor:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...a/jurassic_park_horror_fps_game_in_the_works/

I'd buy that.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    there is no such thing anymore, they got disbanded a while ago.

• No No x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Bullshit.

^ Top  
  11. Ezekiel Magister

Ezekiel
    Too good to be true. Screw you, 4chan, for getting my hopes up even briefly.

^ Top  
  12. Latelistener Arcane

Latelistener
    A part of the team is still there. They worked on Halo Wars 2.

^ Top  
  13. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    So I finished the game afterall.

Once I got used to the small frustration I've been mentioning in this thread, it was a pretty good experience. But I still uphold that the game is too long for its own good. It is artifically padded. There are a lot of locations which look great, the artists really did a bang up job with it. But there isn't any meaningful story or varied gameplay to fill up these locations, so in the end I started to get a bit bored, I just wanted to get over with.

Still, overall I enjoyed it.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. adddeed Arcane Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Would've been a much better game at half the length i think.
    But still for a fan of the alien franchise its a treat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    The length was perfect. It was meant to be a harrowing and sweaty journey.

^ Top  
  16. adddeed Arcane Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    I felt it dragged on expecially because its a slow paced game and because it was tense all the way through which makes it a but exhausting to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    There's plenty of things to criticize in this game if I wanted to but being a massive Alien fanboy I couldn't help but love it anyway. I even liked it enough to replay and it was still scary the second time, something that usually doesn't happen to me with horror games.

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. blessed king of longing Savant

blessed king of longing
    I don't get it, these games aren't scary to me whatsoever, only annoying because the alien's actions run like clockwork and it's a slog navigating the levels once you learn its patterns (and this happens quickly). It's literally a hallway walking simulator, but in space. It also doesn't make sense for the alien to be indestructible to weapons - a very hamfisted way of conveying how "powerful" it is. Once you get to the flamethrower sections it becomes little more than an ammo management sim ontop of the hallway walking.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    GTFO

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. blessed king of longing Savant

blessed king of longing
    I specifically play them with the lights off to try and make them scary, but it just doesn't happen :negative:

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    The game has flaws (my main one was the unnecessary latter sections with space walk etc.) but this is still one of the best horror games and my personal favourite of its kind.

If someone could deliver this same kind of authentic low key horror game with other classic movie settings I would jump on it . Things like the Terminator, Predator, The Shining, The Thing etc. There are so many possibilities

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Ash Arcane

Ash
    This is how bad A:I is, even JC hates it. Yet there's tons that claim it is a good game. It plays like absolute shit wtf are people on?

Please, no, stop! How many horror games have you played and why were they all walking/jumpscare sims?

• not sure if serious x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    I agree. I've always said that survival-horror works best in the 15-20 hour range. I think that's why most of the RE games feel about right length-wise.

AI is the longest horror game I've played. I still enjoyed it, but it should have been a little shorter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ezekiel Magister

Ezekiel
    My first Alien: Isolation playthrough was 19 hours long. Hard mode. I agree that it was too long and should have been short and sweet, due to its lack of variety, limited enemies and stretched out story. But if it takes some people more than 20 hours to beat it, then I don't think they should blame the game so much as themselves.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    I bet every gamer wishes they were as gud as you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.