Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[ALL PHYSICAL COPIES SOLD OUT!] Realms of Quest V for the VIC-20 (digital version is available)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I noticed a coming soon boxed set from psytronik software 2019 for the realms of quest quadrilogy. Man, 2 boxed sets would look nice. Not sure my old vic could handle them though. (Not sure it works). But god I'm considering. Maybe it was posted before or this is for collectors. The VIC20! This is just amazing work you've done. Total AWE beyond words.

Namutree

Savant
I want to play this game, but I'm currently under the impression I won't be able to on a modern system.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I noticed a coming soon boxed set from psytronik software 2019 for the realms of quest quadrilogy. Man, 2 boxed sets would look nice. Not sure my old vic could handle them though. (Not sure it works). But god I'm considering. Maybe it was posted before or this is for collectors. The VIC20! This is just amazing work you've done. Total AWE beyond words.

I’m excited about the re-issue of my old RPG games as well. I can’t wait to hold them inside of cardboard boxes in my hands.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I want to play this game, but I'm currently under the impression I won't be able to on a modern system.
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to run it on modern systems through a VIC-20 emulator like VICE: http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

Emulation is great for that—playing games of old platforms on modern computers or devices. And I programmed Realms V so that the PC cursor keys correspond with joystick movement and ESC (which maps to RUN/STOP on commodore emulators) can be used to exit menus, etc. The game is as menu-driven as possible and it’s entirely playable with just the cursor keys. The only time that you’re needed to type letters from the keyboard is when you type in a name during the character creation phase of the game.

Recently, somebody played the game for 6 hours during a live-streaming session:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/423491535

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Here's how the front and back of the box will look like when the game comes out:

D8bfJonUEAEtuf5
D8bfJoqUEAcvDyI

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Quick question, is the box for the game more of the sturdy Eurobox-type (akin to board game boxes) or the easily flattenable US-type box?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have no problem with playing old school RPGs, but god, that aspect ratio :( I understand it's a VIC-20 thing. Is there a way to fix this emulator wise ?

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Quick question, is the box for the game more of the sturdy Eurobox-type (akin to board game boxes) or the easily flattenable US-type box?

Yes, I believe it's supposed to be in Eurobox-style. The publisher's first game, Abbaye des morts (for the c64) uses that type of box:

DSC_0688.jpg

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I have no problem with playing old school RPGs, but god, that aspect ratio :( I understand it's a VIC-20 thing. Is there a way to fix this emulator wise ?

The recommended display is 4:3. If you were to "fullscreen" the emulator in a widescreen monitor, it would distort the image.

Ladonna

Arcane
The vic-20...it is funny when I read your reasons for not making this on the c64 regarding realms of quest. You know, the game that doesn't exist? The game where the devs seem to have taken the money and then deliver nothing for eons apart from excuses? Meanwhile, you faithfully create yet another CRPG for the old VIC, with no kickstarter robbery, on a platform that is guaranteed to garner less sales than had it been released for the 64.

I did play IV, and while I could see just how much you stretched the machines capabilities, and it was an enjoyable game, I couldn't help thinking just how much better the whole thing could have been had it been done on the 64, especially with regards to just how much effort you put into the game, along with your obvious love of creating music (which made me think of how much fun you could have had using the SID chip, and how much better the sounds would be).

Still, I will probably plonk money down for a budget version of this, but having no emotional attachment to the VIC 20, and being a C64 lover, it isn't a must-get-in-big-box experience.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
The vic-20...it is funny when I read your reasons for not making this on the c64 regarding realms of quest. You know, the game that doesn't exist? The game where the devs seem to have taken the money and then deliver nothing for eons apart from excuses? Meanwhile, you faithfully create yet another CRPG for the old VIC, with no kickstarter robbery, on a platform that is guaranteed to garner less sales than had it been released for the 64.

Yes I know what game you are referring to. It's disappointing that they haven't delivered the game yet, but I hope that for the sake of the reputation of the developers and especially those who backed the game in good faith (basically buying it in advance) that it does get delivered as promised. I could also be describing other failed kickstarter projects with such a broad statement--but I'm not certain what is holding them back. Is it technical? Surely, they could probably harness the help of many C64 experts who are easily reachable on the internet. Methinks they're better at selling product than actually creating product. I hope that they prove me wrong.

I did play IV, and while I could see just how much you stretched the machines capabilities, and it was an enjoyable game, I couldn't help thinking just how much better the whole thing could have been had it been done on the 64, especially with regards to just how much effort you put into the game, along with your obvious love of creating music (which made me think of how much fun you could have had using the SID chip, and how much better the sounds would be).

The Realms of Quest series has been a VIC-20 project from beginning. I've been tempted to switch over to the C64 starting with Realms IV, but I'm rather attached to my retro platform of choice and I know it fairly well. I definitely would have reached a much larger audience with a C64 game. However, because of the higher resolution and better sound capabilities, the game would have used more data, and I probably would have had to delegate the creation of this type of content to others, or maybe not. I did make all of the in-game graphics for Realms V.

Still, I will probably plonk money down for a budget version of this, but having no emotional attachment to the VIC 20, and being a C64 lover, it isn't a must-get-in-big-box experience.

Thank you for your support. There will be a digital version of the game available on July 1.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who paid for a physical boxed game in advance—the game has sold out!

Digital versions will go on sale on July 1.

Last edited:

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Here are images of the medallion that will come with the physically boxed release!

file.php

While the physical release has been sold out, the digital release comes out on July 1 -- in just a few days!

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Double Sided Games sent me this photo of the cardboard boxes that they received a few days ago. So the physical game is being assembled and made ready to mail out as I type this, I'm certain.

file.php

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Some people have told me that they have received their copies of the game!

file.php

I can't wait to actually get mine finally after all of this time. Dev work began in February 2017 and the day of realization is almost here.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Do you know when the quadrilogy box will come out?

I contacted Psytronik, and they told me that they will release the Premium Plus re-issues of Realms III & IV along with the "Realms Of Quest Quadrilogy" boxed set in October.

I can't wait to see these myself.

Last edited:

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Great news! Double Sided Games is going to produce a second and final production run of the physical copy of the game:

https://doublesidedgames.com/shop/commo ... f-quest-v/

Features:
-Over 350 multicolor graphical images that depict the monsters, players and scenery portraits
-16 races, 16 classes, 2 sexes, and 3 alignments
-A party can have up to 10 player characters, plus 10 summoned monsters or NPCs
-An overland map that exceeds it’s predecessor by a factor of four!
-20 Cities and 20 villages
-Over 200 people that you can talk to and interact with
-20 mazes and dungeons to explore
-100 hours of game time
-The physical game comes in a boardgame-style box, with a 52-page manual with illustrations, cloth map, a medallion and four floppy disks.

Video Reviews:

https://youtu.be/PUsYNwISNNs

Buy it now before you lose the chance to own a piece of gaming history!

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Back in April, I was running out of disk space on side three of this game. So I implemented file compression to make it fit there. And then, I decided to compress everything--the rationale being that smaller files would load faster. This left me with about 300 blocks of free disk space across four disk sides.

Now that Double Sided Games is going to ship a revised edition of the game in a few weeks, I'm working on adding a few slideshow sequences that provide more story and context for the game. These will be entitled:

-Days Of Old
-The Dark Times
-The Civil War
-Our Grand Empress
-Castle Rivaria

And I also include a death sequence when your entire party dies.

The following are a few excerpts from the sequence called "The Civil War":

file.php

file.php

Maybe I'm laying it on a bit too thick with the political subtext. But I figure I might as well appropriate some of that wokeness that the Star Wars and the Marvel movies have been doing lately. Keep in mind that these slideshows represent propaganda of the party line of the "government"--there's a lot of shades of gray, "heroes on both sides"/"pox on both of their houses" and things aren't all what they seem.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom