Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age All the derivative stuff in the Dragon Age setting

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

As we all know, DA is a hodge-podge of elements lifted wholesale from other popular fantasy/fiction settings, as well as real-life history, but some are more obvious than others. How about a list of stuff they copied from other sources:

Darkspawn: derived from Shadowspawn in the Wheel of Time.
Tevinter Imperium: the fantasy equivalent of Rome, but the name is almost certainly based on "Neverwinter".
Lyrium: reminds me strongly of spice melange from the Dune series.
Chantry: fantasy equivalent of Christianity, with some WoT-style matriarchy themes thrown in for fun and diversity points.
Andraste: if Jeanne d'Arc was a prophetess.
The Maker: the God of deism, another parallel with the WoT.
The Fade: a fairly standard-issue dreamworld, which seems to also be lifted from WoT.
Mages getting routinely possessed by demons: apparently, this is from old-school Warhammer.
Elves and dwarves: standard Tolkien stuff with some grimdark bells and whistles.
Qunari: I have no clue where they got this from. Their society seems to be an extreme form of collectivist totalitarianism (commufascism) with some diversity and wokeness thrown in to make the libtard authors' wish-fulfillment.
Dragon gods of Tevinter that get corrupted into "archdemons": no clue, this is extremely incoherent and was never explained properly.

Harthwain

Magister

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
DA is one of the most forgettable average meh franchises. The whole Dark Age is like that.

Mikeal

Arcane
As we all know, DA is a hodge-podge of elements lifted wholesale from other popular fantasy/fiction settings, as well as real-life history, but some are more obvious than others. How about a list of stuff they copied from other sources:

Darkspawn: derived from Shadowspawn in the Wheel of Time.
Tevinter Imperium: the fantasy equivalent of Rome, but the name is almost certainly based on "Neverwinter".
Lyrium: reminds me strongly of spice melange from the Dune series.
Chantry: fantasy equivalent of Christianity, with some WoT-style matriarchy themes thrown in for fun and diversity points.
Andraste: if Jeanne d'Arc was a prophetess.
The Fade: a fairly standard-issue dreamworld, which seems to also be lifted from WoT.
Mages getting routinely possessed by demons: apparently, this is from old-school Warhammer.
Elves and dwarves: standard Tolkien stuff with some grimdark bells and whistles.
Qunari: I have no clue where they got this from. Their society seems to be an extreme form of collectivist totalitarianism (commufascism) with some diversity and wokeness thrown in to make the libtard authors' wish-fulfillment.
Dragon gods of Tevinter that get corrupted into "archdemons": no clue, this is extremely incoherent and was never explained properly.

Wasn't Tevinter more like a Persian Empire?

Tigranes

Arcane
OP is just a random rorschach scrawl of "what X reminded me of".

Why is the name Tevinter Imperium "almost certainly" based on Neverwinter? Who knows.

Oh look, an extremely generic Big God & dreamworld you can find in 8 million different settings, must be WoT! Did I tell you I read WoT last night?

Look, a 90% "collective totalitarianism" society! But it must be the libtards that I hate lololol

Also fails to mention, uh, a nation they literally called Orlais

Avarize

Magister
Deism is concept lifted from WoT?
What similarities do you find between the Chantry and Christianity besides aesthetics? What are the actual relevant doctrinal comparisons, the stuff that matters?
Aren't the shadowspawn themselves quite similar to Tolkien, particularly Morgoth's forces?

This analysis on the level of people describing Starship Troopers' world as fascist because it's a militaristic culture.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can we just agree that Dragon Age has no original ideas of its own and call it a day?
Nothing is original. Shouldn't you know this as a creative person?

Some things are more blatantly derivative than others, and the "nothing is original everything is a copy" is a lame postmodern meme trying to justify milquetoast storytelling.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Deism is concept lifted from WoT?
Why are you incapable of basic reading comprehension, moron?

Wasn't Tevinter more like a Persian Empire?
The tribe that they are descended from (and one of their major cities) is literally called Neromenian, lol. And they use Latin heavily. And they are an Imperium, led by an Archon (Greek term, but the real-life Roman empire had plenty of Greco-Roman fusion), and a Senate (plus Magisterium).

Yeah, sounds like Persia alright. :retarded:

It's not really criminally derivative, except maybe ASoIaF stuff, like Grey Wardens/Night Watch.
Oh missed this one, a very obvious derivation.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Look, a 90% "collective totalitarianism" society! But it must be the libtards that I hate lololol
Right, because a medieval totalitarian commufascist culture that denies individualism would also naturally be tranny-positive, as we learned in DA:I. Transgenderism flows so naturally from their core concept, I must really be hallucinating things to see libturdation injected into it artificially by woke bioware writers!! :edgy:

Kill yourself.

Vatnik Wumao
Can we just agree that Dragon Age has no original ideas of its own and call it a day?
Nothing is original. Shouldn't you know this as a creative person?

Some things are more blatantly derivative than others, and the "nothing is original everything is a copy" is a lame postmodern meme trying to justify milquetoast storytelling.
Wh40k is heavily derivative (and a hodgepodge of influences at that), yet that does not make it 'milquetoast storytelling'. Dragon Age Origins laid a good foundation for a low, dark fantasy sort of setting. Alas, the sequels didn't really do it justice.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It would be more interesting and fun to track influences in some better setting, TBH.
maxresdefault.jpg

Flying Dutchman

Learned
A list of all the things in Dragon Age that show even a modicum of creativity would be much quicker.

This.

Also this.

Was Wheel of Time really their inspiration? That's like... scraping the bottom of the bottom of the barrel.

I remember being surprised they didn't have a pantheon of Gods and elves were slaves (?), but it's been a while.

I've never understood why anyone thinks this series is cool, but it's a fitting tombstone for Patrick Weekes' career.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom