Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alone In The Dark 5

Radisshu

Prophet
Well it LOOKS great, and I'm talking about aesthetics rather than technical stuff. I really hope they actually manage to put all that interactivity into the game in an interesting way. And also find a way back to their Lovecraftian roots.

Section8

Cipher
Alone in the Dark died with the first one. Two clunky action games using the same engine, a fourth that was a terrible piece of shit and and Uwe Boll movie starring Christian Slater and Tara Reid? I think that's enough coffin nails to keep even the most tenacious undead beast sealed away for good.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Graphix whore.

Lovecraftian beasties are the new zombies. But not that retarded Resident Drivel 4 bug shit.

Radisshu

Prophet
I never played the newer sequels, so I have no idea how bad they were. I never even played the old sequels, although I read about them and one of them features zombie pirates (WTF?), but I liked the first one.

I'd really say the silent hill games have carried on what the first alone in the dark game brought, though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Section8 said:
Alone in the Dark died with the first one. Two clunky action games using the same engine, a fourth that was a terrible piece of shit and and Uwe Boll movie starring Christian Slater and Tara Reid? I think that's enough coffin nails to keep even the most tenacious undead beast sealed away for good.

Dunno. I never played 4, but I heard it's bucketloads of fun. Fun. Remember? What we used to play games for as kids.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
From a Eurogame interview I read it sounds like they have a lot of good ideas, hopefully they can follow through on them.

Section8

Cipher
Dunno. I never played 4, but I heard it's bucketloads of fun. Fun. Remember? What we used to play games for as kids.

I don't remember it being that way. About the only thing I thought was cool were the layered backgrounds, and the way light played off them. But then again, I thought Resident Evil was shit, so it's safe to say my tastes in survival horror are infinitely more refined and superior to the norm.

User was nabbed fit

Dead Rising for all your horror/comedy needs.

deadrising_a.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Section8 said:

I don't remember it being that way. About the only thing I thought was cool were the layered backgrounds, and the way light played off them. But then again, I thought Resident Evil was shit, so it's safe to say my tastes in survival horror are infinitely more refined and superior to the norm.

TBH the only Survival Horror I ever played was System Shock 2, and 5 minutes of Silent Hill 1, then I gave up because the controls pissed me off, way off.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I thought the movie was underrated. Not the biggest fan of the games - haven't really play them.

Bradylama

Arcane
Resident Evil 4 was great, fuck tha haters.

The game was great because it wasn't survival horror. For all the atmosphere the last three Resident Evils handled like a carnival ride.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
wow, sure looks like a promising revival.
ViolentOpposition said:
splatter≠horror.

User was nabbed fit

SuicideBunny said:
ViolentOpposition said:
splatter≠horror.

Eyyyy. There are still some elements of horror in there, and there are also survival elements too... which are much better if you play in "infinite" mode. There's a limited amount of food (doesn't respawn when you leave the room), and your health is constantly dropping (to simulate hunger). The only goal is to see how long you can stay alive.

Julio

Scholar
New footage released showcasing the game's physics and "all-body awareness". Reminds me of a cross between Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay and Resident Evil 4. They're showing some impressive stuff with the physical object manipulation... hope it bleeds into the actual gameplay; at least the "real world item combination" probably will.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30714.html

Graphics look tighter than a nun's vagina.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
If its as good as RE4, then I wont mind but it doesn't really look like RE4 that much. Looks like a more slower paced and exploring type of game.

Julio

Scholar
It's Alone in the Dark meets McGuyver edition. Sticky tape ftw?

Schauman

Scholar
The way the gasoline spills looks awkward to me, otherwise the real world rules seem tad nice. Also how they handle inventory is rather nice, would make a lively addition to 3D RPGs as well. (Well for those without horrid amount of loot atleast.)

The suspence market is looking rather good now. Alan Wake from Remedy for the psychological horror + sandbox world and AITD with the supernatural.

psycojester

Arbiter
I love the way they've handled the inventory, and that was some of the most wildly inappropriate music i've heard in a trailer (catchy, but misplaced)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The first game game was a classic, but every sequel was worse than the previous. The 4rth game was by far the worst. I hope it doesn't lose it's place to this one, since the trailer looked rather interesting (although that doesn't mean anything).

Silent Hill 1 is easily the best game of this genre.

Human Shield

Augur
Looks neat, breaking wood doors instead of finding keys would be great.

It is very sad that you know it will be a linear game with driving parts and physics puzzles like HL2.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
ghostdog said:
The first game game was a classic, but every sequel was worse than the previous. The 4rth game was by far the worst.

Indeed. It was the third installment in the franchise that took it to new lows, as far as I'm concerned. AitD 2 was... bearable, at least.

I hope it doesn't lose it's place to this one, since the trailer looked rather interesting (although that doesn't mean anything).

I like what I've seen thus far - having said that, I am afraid that the emphasis on the 'survival' and 'story' aspects is all but gone.

Andhaira

Arcane
Section8 said:

lulz-wUrthy

Actually the second part (aitd2) was good as well; not as much as the first but still pretty good.

The rest were not as good as the originals. I was SO pumped for 4, but it turned out to be a goodlooking but non-interactive piece of adventuregamey-ness.

All aod's are action adventures ofcourse, but aod4 was too much of that, with retarded puzzles. Also, they kindof forgot the main character (forgot his name) was skilled in the martial arts.

I hope the new one goes back to the horror routes, with limited ammunition, unarmed combat goodness, use of flame and fire, and larger and more interactive locations. I don't want the game to be set in just one mansion, I want much more. Say a mansion, then a secluded lakeside retreat, a mountain cabin, etc etc.

ANd for crying out loud: FIX the camera this time.

TheLostOne

Savant
So is Silent Hill 1's story the same as the movies? Haven't played the game yet, and am mildly interested, but only if it's not the same as the movie... Actually, might play it anyway if it is just to see everyone get raped by barbed wire at the end again.

Human Shield

Augur
TheLostOne said:
So is Silent Hill 1's story the same as the movies? Haven't played the game yet, and am mildly interested, but only if it's not the same as the movie... Actually, might play it anyway if it is just to see everyone get raped by barbed wire at the end again.

No, like every video game movie made they love to change the plot to something retarded. The plot isn't that spelled out in the first game, the wiki explains it better.

Don't you have a Playstation emulator?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Bradylama said:
Resident Evil 4 was great, fuck tha haters.

The game was great because it wasn't survival horror. For all the atmosphere the last three Resident Evils handled like a carnival ride.

Resi4 is fucking outstanding. I'm currently playing through it again on the gamecube. (after completing it first on the PC)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom