Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline WORLD'S GREATEST GENERIC RPG BLOBBER ENGINE : "VAULT OF TERROR"

Generic-Giant-Spider

Too late, I spoke to your lawyers. They don't give a shit because you couldn't sign nothing.

It was signed by my handler, Kim Chee.

Dramart

Learned
It would be awesome to have FRUA for pure blobbers. If nothing else the thread must survive.
The Bard's Tale Construction Set has existed since 1991:

941833-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-title-screen.png
941849-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-the-map.png
941847-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-creating.png

941840-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-you-need.png
941843-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-adding-the.png
941834-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-won-the.png

941850-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-editing.png
941841-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-a-slime.png
941861-the-bard-s-tale-construction-set-amiga-screenshot-the-undercity.png

Though I'm sure Cleve's magnificence will surpass it.
There's also one of Dungeons and Dragons called Unlimited Adventures https://www.mobygames.com/game/unlimited-adventures
608138-unlimited-adventures-dos-front-cover.jpg

608139-unlimited-adventures-dos-back-cover.jpg

GandGolf

Augur
Wouldn't it be ironic if Cleve releases his RPG engine only for it to end up being used by Baxander or Zep Zeppo to create a game that ends up outselling Grimoire?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Baxander couldn't sell cake to a fat person. Hahahaha.

That nigga's deranged.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I am ashamed of how much time I have spent faffing with screen layouts. First I was trying to emulate Crusaders/Grimoire layout, then Lands of Lore, finally I was copying Eye of the Beholder but it didn't make good use of screen space.

I realized I didn't want to simply copy Grimoire for VAULT OF TERROR. I wanted the game to have a much more retro feel closer to Elminage Gothic. So I put the portraits along the bottom and have simplified many of the interfaces down to village idiot level/impossible to get it wrong/so basic it will run in any resolution. I'm serious about doing as little work for the mobile port as is possible.

This is the intro screen. You journey to places on the world map in faux 3D parallax. Will have floating markers to tell you what kind of place it is.

At the right is one of the first pets the party can adopt, "WILMER," a pet pig with special abilities no other animal has, including rooting out buried things in the woods with his nose.

gamestart.jpg

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Is the pig in a dedicated spot for pets? Or does Wilmer take up a party member slot.

The pet always appears on the end far right. Only one pet at a time. After I got pets working I realized it would be a great storyline to have each of the pets be able to do something completely special that you could not otherwise do without them, as well as things like :

1. Find secrets buttons, switches and walls in the dungeon.
2. Explore the dungeon ahead of the party to push back fog of war on the map. (Cat runs around a while then reports back, same for falcon, etc.)
3. Ferret out things like stuff buried in the woods or at the top of a mountain peak the party cannot reach.
4. Distract enemies in combat (Dogs harry opponents resulting in confusion condition and lowering armor class, etc.)
5. Increase carrying capacity of party inventory (horse) or restore morale (dog, chicken)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the pig in a dedicated spot for pets? Or does Wilmer take up a party member slot.

The pet always appears on the end far right. Only one pet at a time. After I got pets working I realized it would be a great storyline to have each of the pets be able to do something completely special that you could not otherwise do without them, as well as things like :

2. Explore the dungeon ahead of the party to push back fog of war on the map. (Cat runs around a while then reports back, same for falcon, etc.)
3. Ferret out things like stuff buried in the woods or at the top of a mountain peak the party cannot reach.
4. Distract enemies in combat (Dogs harry opponents resulting in confusion condition and lowering armor class, etc.)
5. Increase carrying capacity of party inventory (horse) or restore morale (dog, chicken)
Amazingly simple, yet such a significant mechanic.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Amazingly simple, yet such a significant mechanic.

Scriptable objects in Unity make this a matter of a few hours of work instead of a few months. I create the abilities, assign them a FUDGE skill level (1-7) and plug them onto the character ability base. Then in game, these abilities call their own code at the right points in the map where notation is on a cell describing the ability that can be used here.

In C++ in Grimoire this would be 3-6 months of programming and testing or more ... possibly a year of testing and refinement if I used my own RPG code base instead of FUDGE.

25 years of work on your own code makes you aware of all the incredibly retarded mistakes you made in thinking about these problems originally. You become sharply conscious of all the errors in object abstraction you made. Grimoire is largely based on millions of CASE-SWITCH constructs that use enumerations. In retrospect, not the right way to go about it at all.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FUDGE looks interesting, I wonder why no other cRPG has adopted it yet.

One small thing to nitpick about: I'd get rid of that pixel font on the left (WORLD MAP, etc.) It's so overused in "cute" pixelated indie games that I'm quite sick of it, and it doesn't work well together with the rest of the aesthestic.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
FUDGE looks interesting, I wonder why no other cRPG has adopted it yet.

One small thing to nitpick about: I'd get rid of that pixel font on the left (WORLD MAP, etc.) It's so overused in "cute" pixelated indie games that I'm quite sick of it, and it doesn't work well together with the rest of the aesthestic.

I actually agree with you. It seemed like a good idea but it just doesn't work for the style of the game. Looking through a bunch of fonts now to find a proper font for the buttons.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I am ashamed of how much time I have spent faffing with screen layouts. First I was trying to emulate Crusaders/Grimoire layout, then Lands of Lore, finally I was copying Eye of the Beholder but it didn't make good use of screen space.

I realized I didn't want to simply copy Grimoire for VAULT OF TERROR. I wanted the game to have a much more retro feel closer to Elminage Gothic. So I put the portraits along the bottom and have simplified many of the interfaces down to village idiot level/impossible to get it wrong/so basic it will run in any resolution. I'm serious about doing as little work for the mobile port as is possible.

This is the intro screen. You journey to places on the world map in faux 3D parallax. Will have floating markers to tell you what kind of place it is.

At the right is one of the first pets the party can adopt, "WILMER," a pet pig with special abilities no other animal has, including rooting out buried things in the woods with his nose.

View attachment 20499

I don't get it, is it a mobile game only or do you plan a PC release too.

After playing recent RPG with 3D paperdolls and avatars, it really looks fantastic, it'd be great as a computer game and i'm sure the market for it is big enough with a short development time.

It's certainly fine to go fast for art assets as long as it looks as good as this sample if you focus on dungeon design, it was one of Grimoire's strong feature, this, the recruitable NPC and fast dungeon travel.

And please, stick with Grimoire Dungeon design, Elminage dungeon design and UI is just terrible.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's certainly fine to go fast for art assets as long as it looks as good

No one cares (or can tell) if you're using assets or not; there's literally millions of them. Same thing with samples, stock photography, etc. Virtually all content creators use them, otherwise things would just take 50x as long to finish.
It certainly works well for this guy, producing one image per day without assets would be impossible for him, and the end results kick ass.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
VOTGlobalMap.jpg

It's coming together. Trying to keep it short, simple and fun. This is the very basic global map. These maps will only become accessible as certain clues are uncovered, keys found, etc.

These are all the faux 3D games I wrote for the C-64 with a narrative that ties them all together for this story.

Working on the town interactions, very similar to original Wizardry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom