Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alright you blobbering bitches, gimmie roguelikes

Eisen

Learned
You should play more blobbers

Heroes of Hammerwatch is decent. Starts off fairly tough but you eventually progress to the point where it becomes easier over time. Multiple classes to choose from, upgrades, etc.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is also ok I guess. I dunno, not a huge fan of the indie roguelike death trap craze.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
https://chaosforge.org/
DoomRL and AliensRL are pretty damn good.
http://gamesofgrey.com/
He's got a whole bunch of them but Broken Bottle is one of the best.
Broken Bottle is a game about alcoholism and brutality in a post-apocalyptic world. It was written for the Seven Day Roguelike Challenge 2011, but has been updated a little since. The game is very story-focused, told from the first-person perspective of an alcoholic as he tries to find the surface following a nuclear war. Alcohol also plays an important part in several game dynamics.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Sigma Finite Dungeons (SFD)
It's a party-based TB roguelike and it's very good.
There is some difficulty options if you want to die more often but boss fight will turn your party into ashes.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
My all time favorite roguelike is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It has user-friendly tiled graphics, but you can also play it through telnet or ssh in all it's traditional ascii glory. Just ssh into crawl.akrasiac.org with username “joshua” and password “joshua",

Emmanuel2

Savant
ADOM has it, but does any other roguelike have a TES progression system? Do X, it levels up that skill?

Elona. Vanilla Elona does not have Permadeath though. You die and you drop some of your items, gold and some of your stats gets reduced permanently.

The mod Elona Plus does have an optional Permadeath mode. The playerbase including I don't really recommend going for permadeath unless you absolutely know the game in and out because it is very, very unforgiving (but much less so for the recent version of Plus due to recent progression changes).

Going back to the original topic, I advocate for trying out ToME4 (Tales of Maj'Eyal) as well. If the game manages to hook you in, the DLCs add great variety to an already content-rich campaign along with more stuff to play around with in general like new items, classes and races.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I know the OP is looking for roguelikes not roguelites but I just found out about The Last Stand: Aftermath and it looks cool as hell. As a fan of roguelites and a fan of The Last Stand: Union City I can't wait to try it. For real roguelikes... god there's dozens of them, and they're all free to DL. I've personally enjoyed many hours with the original ADOM when I was younger. It's pretty accessible for a true, no graphics roguelike so would be a good starting point in the genre. I never beat it but I had many hours of fun trying.

buffalo bill

Arcane
ADOM has it, but does any other roguelike have a TES progression system? Do X, it levels up that skill?
CDDA

My suggestions:

Infra Arcana or DoomRL (play the latter in ASCII or face ugly tiles) are absolutely great, tight, short-ish dungeon crawlers with lots of replayability and different levels of challenge (especially DoomRL, which offers challenge modes and difficulty levels). Both are not typical sword n sorcery settings, which gets major points. Both also have a trait-based character progression system, quite unlike e.g. the skill-based system of ADOM.

Caves of Qud or ADOM (play the latter in ASCII or face ugly tiles) if you want a more open-world RPG experience, including side quests and alignment or faction systems and tons of lore. People here have issues with Caves of Qud's developers, but the game is objectively great, arguably one of the best RPGs of the 21st century I'd say, even in it's current unfinished state.

Cataclysm: DDA is good if you like survival games, the ultimate autism-level crafting system, no quests or direction, and zombies. I played it a ton at some point, but tbh every time I boot it up recently I get bored and go back to trying to beat DoomRL on N!

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Traditional Roguelikes, so turn-based. I think an important part of roguelikes is the concept so some of these I'm bumping descriptions for solely because they got an interesting one:

Brogue - free and good. Play it as long as you want. If it 'hooks' you then you basically get a great game for nada.

ADOM. Never could get into it. Also free or paid, up to you. Has a lot of depth and apparently never even been beaten by the guy who made it.

Tales of Maj'eyal. The "Diablo 2" of roguelikes, IMO. Lots of itemization and what not. My main problem is I get very tired of the same areas/lack of procedural world content.

AliensRL, DoomRL, and Jupiter Hell. Free, free, paid. All made by the same bloke, each one iterating on the last. I think Jupiter Hell is the best of them. Very refined, and gets better with every update. LOTS of builds. Very action-focused, but the harder difficulties will kick you in the nuts.

Caves of Qud. Best setting, IMO. Best character creation. You can make anything from a gunslinger to a four-armed superhero. Lots of depth. Aesthetics are top tier if you're into dreamlike low-fantasy/low-scifi. Has a story mode of sorts where you can follow the main tale -- or you can just mosey around doing whatever and exploring wherever. Best all-around roguelike, IMO.

Cogmind. Like Caves of Qud, but with robots. Been awhile since I've played, but a few things: large build diversity, very strange robot-type setting, and a very impressive graphic set for what it is. You're basically a sentient bot and you make yourself into a swiss-army knife of other bot-parts.

Golden Krone Hotel. A solid roguelike. Uses a light/dark dynamic. I kinda wish it was a little more coherent. I still play it now and again anyway.

Approaching Infinity. Scifi roguelike. Part of the game is you on the ship running around solar systems. The other part is your away team going down to planets. It's pretty great, but my main issue is that it doesn't get 'interesting' until about 10-ish solar systems into the map. The concept is fucking amazing though if you're into that Star Trek type vibe.

Rift Wizard. Combat focused spellcasting roguelike. Very difficult. You're a wizard and you can basically dip your toes into a zillion spellcasting schools. Great concept.

Curse of Yendor. Simple roguelike, fun to play, a little depth under the hood. Made by the Approaching Infinity guy.

Xenomarine. Another ranged-focused roguelike. Somewhat difficult. I particularly liked this Roguelike and I'm not sure why. Something about it drew me in and I'm apparently one of a handful of people to actually bother beating it. Aliens aesthetic is very underused in roguelikes so that might be why.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. I actually don't understand how this game manifested out of the SOTS series, but it's a solid roguelike with a scifi/aliens styled concept. Very difficult, IMO, but part of that is due to some annoying design decisions moreso than strictly the gameplay.

Shiren the Wanderer. GOAT-tier mystery dungeon game which is in essence a roguelike with persistent stuff going on -- but you are in control of what "persists" which is why I didn't X it out. So it somewhat fits in your category. Main problem is it doesn't get particularly hard until a few hours in, and then it nukes you repeatedly and without hesitation. The type of Roguelike where your badass samurai sword of doom gets turned into a rice cake.

Armored Commander games. Roguelikes where you control a ... tank. Strange, but unique concept. I have the 2nd but haven't yet delved into it.

Cheapo fastpaced Roguelikes that are solid but do nothing outstanding: Dungeonmans, Rogue Empire, Rogue Fable III, Mainframe Defenders, Crown Trick, Haque, Dungeons of Dredmor.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
One noone mentioned yet: FTL. You pilot a spaceship, your crew levels up by repeating the same task. You'll die a lot and won't be able to put it down.

Other than unlocking different ships there are no roguelite elements.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
So far I have:
KeeperRL: I purchased this beforehand because it was yet another "Dungeon Keeper" esque game, which I like. I've been enjoying it enough to want to explore the genre further.
Dungeonmans: Best production values out of the box(only barely, it beats UADOMCOC because it's actually a finished game). Besides that, I don't really know if I like it, I've only done the first dungeon and there's a lot of err "Reddit" humor, where they do that thing where they combine babytalk with talking like a Gearbox Studios character, which is very irritating to me. "Enpic Warrriors of awthum badashe killan sward!!!" kind of stuff.
Rogue: I don't like the controls.
Brogue: Played this the most. It's a ton of fun, who ever suggested it, you're the best man. I haven't gone further than depth 6 because I keep getting shit-stomped like an asshole.
ADOM: Caverns of Chaos: It doesn't function well, and it's basically a proof of concept for what will likely be a really cool game, but it's also crashed on me multiple times for weird shit, like uh, casting spells. I know some people were mad about the gender thing but since you can literally pick "i got my balls cut off" as a gender I'll allow it.

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
So far I have:
KeeperRL: I purchased this beforehand because it was yet another "Dungeon Keeper" esque game, which I like. I've been enjoying it enough to want to explore the genre further.
Dungeonmans: Best production values out of the box(only barely, it beats UADOMCOC because it's actually a finished game). Besides that, I don't really know if I like it, I've only done the first dungeon and there's a lot of err "Reddit" humor, where they do that thing where they combine babytalk with talking like a Gearbox Studios character, which is very irritating to me. "Enpic Warrriors of awthum badashe killan sward!!!" kind of stuff.
Rogue: I don't like the controls.
Brogue: Played this the most. It's a ton of fun, who ever suggested it, you're the best man. I haven't gone further than depth 6 because I keep getting shit-stomped like an asshole.
ADOM: Caverns of Chaos: It doesn't function well, and it's basically a proof of concept for what will likely be a really cool game, but it's also crashed on me multiple times for weird shit, like uh, casting spells. I know some people were mad about the gender thing but since you can literally pick "i got my balls cut off" as a gender I'll allow it.
It feels like you asked for advice and then didn't listen to anyone

also brogue is for pussies, man up and play doomrl or infra arcana

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Why play this and not the superior original ADOM?

Three Roguelikes for the storyfags under the sky,
Seven for the combatfags in their halls of stone,
Nine for munchkins doomed to die,
One for the LEET NEET on his dark throne
In the Land of permadeath where the Shadows lie.
One Roguelike to rule them all, One Roguelike to find them,
One Roguelike to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of permadeath where the Shadows lie:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/341390/Vulture_for_NetHack/

Efe

Erudite
original adom and majeyal are safe choices.

dungeons of dredmor is bit lite but could be perfect fit depending on what you're looking for.
sword of stars the pit mentioned above is also one of good ones. they also released a recent fps game that is exactly this game but as first person shooter. give both a whirl imo. if you would go for fps, try void bastards too

I didnt like tangledeep much. felt very lacking.

cogmind is on my to-try list. do write thoughts if you get to play it.

nimateb

Augur
My all time favorite roguelike is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It has user-friendly tiled graphics, but you can also play it through telnet or ssh in all it's traditional ascii glory. Just ssh into crawl.akrasiac.org with username “joshua” and password “joshua",
This one is the best for begginers and also the most 'streamlined' of the bunch, but in a good way mostly

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom