Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Ambermoon rewrite 1.0.0 released

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by made, Aug 3, 2021.

1. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    I gave it a try and it runs really well, but the music seems to be in mono? Is that a known issue? The music is definitely in stereo on an Amiga.

^ Top  
  2. Tombo Barely Literate

Tombo
    First off, I'm really enjoying the game. Kudos to the guys who ported it. I'm enjoying the pseudo-tactical-blobber battle system and the questing is open-ended enough to make me use my brain a little.

On the note of the battle system, has anyone encountered a bug where your characters seemingly randomly stop being able to move mid-battle? When attempting to move any character, and message pops up saying something like "There is no space that your character can move to" even when 7 of 8 adjacent tiles are available. And it seems to affect every character.

I've mostly (perhaps exclusively) encountered this against bandits, and I am pretty early in the game, so I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature that I don't currently understand. Regardless, when it strikes, I don't seem to have any negative conditions on the characters, and the enemies seem to stop moving as well. Given my party's lack of ranged options, the bandits and I basically just chill indefinitely until I give up and reload.

^ Top  
  3. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    Well, there are few bugs (sometimes game is not responding for keyboard nor RMB, but after a minute or two it works ok, and had some crashes when got too many items/weight or tried to put arrows to left hand while using 2h weapon).

What you are describing - well, remember that your characters can't move further than the 2nd row of the battlefield and CAN'T pass other characters nor spaces where another character is going to move, so maybe this is a problem. Other than that I have never seemed a movement bug in this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tombo Barely Literate

Tombo
    Thanks for the input, really helped me figure out what might be going wrong.

For those curious, here's my best guess at the issue: I believe Krivol is correct in that you are not intended to be able to "move further than the 2nd row of the battlefield", supported by the fact that selecting "move" will only highlight squares in the first two rows as possibilities. However, at least in the version I downloaded from github, there doesn't seem to be anything preventing you from clicking on and moving into adjacent squares in the 3rd+ rows that are not highlighted, at least until code-karma catches up to you and prevents all further movement.

While the model I've outlined above could certainly be wrong, I haven't had any more issues since I've restricted my movements to the highlighted first two rows, and advanced to subsequent rows using the "advance" command.

Thanks again for the help.

On a game design note, I haven't quite made up my mind whether I find the "free movement around the grid" approach I'd been incorrectly using or the intended "clear the entire row before advancing" ruleset to be more tactically interesting. Regardless, I haven't seen the latter system before, and am at least currently enjoying it as a novel little twist.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    WOW Thanks for this. I didn't know that this even existed. I always was unsuccessful to run DM on emulators. Now i'm very happy!!!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Tomas Novice Patron

Tomas
    Strap Yourselves In
    If anyone does English let’s play please share. I’d check it out, I have played Albion in the past and really enjoyed it (I think the only thing stopped me from finishing it was a bug near the end).

^ Top  
  7. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    I found a bug (?) - sometimes I can't put stuff into a chest (even if it's empty), sell items nor drop item - it looks like icon "4" (look at numeric keys) is bugged or something.

^ Top  
  8. Naraya Prophet

Naraya
    • incline incline x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    I'm just amazed that, in Linux, the Ambermoon rewrite runs perfectly after a single click. I'm not used to that :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. index.php Arcane

index.php
    https://www.indieretronews.com/2021/08/ambermoonnet-open-source-remake-of.html

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. index.php Arcane

index.php

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. index.php Arcane

index.php

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. index.php Arcane

index.php

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Blackshirt Augur

Blackshirt
    So is this game genuinely good or is this just nostalgia bait for boomers?

• Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. lecrop Educated

lecrop
    It's a very good game, and I have a lot of arguments to say that.

But what is the value of my opinion or that of others in this regard? I mean, it's a free game, of which you can read the features and see screenshots. Install it and give it a try, it won't take you more than 10 minutes to test it a bit.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    I still have a problem with screen flickering in fullscreen with all builds including the latest (1.3?) so I'd like to make a feature request to the developer for a native borderless window mode in any upcoming versions. In the meantime, Borderless Gaming does a great job allowing me to play this game in "fullscreen" with no flickering but I always have to run the program first and keep it running before opening up Ambermoon.net; a pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. index.php Arcane

index.php

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • incline incline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Mychkine Educated

Mychkine
    I feel like I'm an idiot, but I cannot find how to run the .net file on Linux. Anybody could provide instructions?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Man... This is effort well spent.

How about finishing up a few unfinished shareware games from the 90s next?

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Extract the .gz

Open the terminal in the folder with the extracted stuff

in the terminal, enter ./Ambermoon.net (with the dot and the slash and the capital 'A') and press ENTER

That's all it takes for me using the newest Ubuntu.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mychkine Educated

Mychkine
    So, I'm an idiot. I didn't try the obvious. Thanks a lot anyways !

^ Top  
  22. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    But is it working or are you getting some error messages?

^ Top  
  23. Mychkine Educated

Mychkine
    It does work. Thanks a lot. Next time I'll remember how to launch an executable via the command line alone...

^ Top  
  24. Ludwig von Eisenthal Augur

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    1.4 doesn't run for me on Win10. It opens the window for a fracture of a second and closes immediately. All earlier versions worked flawlessly. Strange.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    What is this Ambermoon Advanced option that exists is this newer version?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.