Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ambermoon rewrite (and unofficial expansion)

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
What is this Ambermoon Advanced option that exists is this newer version?

https://github.com/Pyrdacor/Ambermoon-Advanced

What it is
Ambermoon Advanced is an inofficial extension of Ambermoon. It is developed and maintained by me (Pyrdacor).

The first beta release 0.01 is out now in english and german.

Please keep in mind that this is in beta phase and I develop this on my own in my free time. So expect bugs, typos, bad texts, bad translations and even crashes. Save often!

Ambermoon Advanced is playable on the Amiga. At least I hope so. I tested it with WinUAE so I am not 100% sure if it runs on every Amiga hardware.

What it's not
Ambermoon Advanced is no complete new game, so you will still play Ambermoon as you know it but of course with some additions and changes. For example monsters now have elements as well as spells. Therefore some monsters are now immune to certain spells. Don't bother shooting fire balls at fire dragons or rocks at stone golems. But there is no damage bonus against elements if you want to ask that.

Also keep in mind that adding content is a lot of work so don't expect the whole world to change or secrets in every dungeon. As Ambermoon Advanced is released in episodes the current changes focus on the early game and adds 2 new quest chains to the mid to late game on Lyramion.

If you want to play the episodes in succession you should pause before you leave Lyramion for the first time. The second episode is planned for the late game on Lyramion. Other episodes will then focus on the forest moon and Morag.

index.php

Arcane
Release v1.5.0

Features

• Shortcut Ctrl + Left Click will use items
  • Shortcut Shift + Left Click will equip or unequip items
  • Quickload will be available with Ctrl + Shift + Number (0-9)
  • A brief info message is shown after quick saving or loading
  • Floor and ceiling textures can be turned off in the options (a color will then be displayed instead)
  • One new optional graphic filters
  • 5 optional graphic overlays like scanlines or CRT
  • 2 optional visual effects (grayscale and sepia)
  • You can put your own mp3s as (01.mp3 etc) into a folder called "music" next to the exe so it is used as the ingame music instead (Windows only as of now)
  • Fast battle mode was replaced by a battle speed option with 10 levels
Bugfixes
  • Fixed a crash when exchanging equipped two-handed weapons with shields
  • Exhaustion will now also cripple skills and not only attributes
  • Loading a game will mark it as the game you will continue on next program start
  • Loading a game will now correctly enable the transport button if it should be
  • Map poison no longer affects dead or petrified characters
  • Fixed a crash when you click on the spot where the "Continue game" menu entry would be when it not is shown because there is no savegame yet
  • Hopefully fixed an issue where monsters stopped attacking
  • Hopefully fixed a crash when casting some spells
  • Fixed a display issue in 16:9 fullscreen mode
Release v1.5.1
Hotfix for 1.5.

• Minimizing the game no longer causes the game to crash
  • Fixed a rare crash that happened when loading a game
  • Normal saving and loading now also shows a brief info message
    • Added an option to enable/disable this info message (by default it is disabled)
  • Adjusted render offsets a bit so that there is no big black border around the screen

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
Release v1.6.0
  • Removed music cache
  • Music is now streamed instead
  • Upgrade to most recent original game data (1.14 English, 1.13 German)
  • Added key shortcuts for toggling music and changing volume
  • Fixed issues with pieces of amber in the dwarf mines
  • Slightly adjusted exp formula
  • Fixed crash when loading AA game
  • After saving with info popup you can no longer move in option menu
  • STR/STA effect on Dmg/Def is now also shown if no buff is active
  • Monster info now shows *** instead of LP/SP values > 999
Release v1.6.1
  • Fixed crash in version selector
  • Enabled external mp3 on Linux and Mac as well
Release v1.6.2
  • Reworked music streaming
    • Memory consumption was drastically reduced
    • Fixed many playback issues
  • Dict.amb has now priority over the older files Dictionary.english or Dictionary.german
  • Added missing negated logic for condition map events
  • Fixed some spell damage
  • Fixed wrong spinner end direction
Release v1.6.3
  • Fixed a crash when the party dies
  • Fixed a crash when a player is revived
Release v1.6.4

Fixed a crash when sleeping.

Release v1.6.5​

• Resting on rafts is now possible
  • Music should no longer stop (or crash game) after game over screen
  • Added "kill" cheat for testing stuff :)
  • When leaving items at merchants, they take them back if possible (so you can buy them later)

Release v1.6.6​

• Fixed freezes when some spells are cast in battle
  • Fixed broken input after right-clicking / hitting ESC in some windows
  • When using your own Ambermoon data, the folder "Initial" and the file "Keymap" is no longer required and won't lead to an error if not present

Release v1.6.7​

• Monsters will now advance if the 4th battle row is empty and there are at least 2 party members remaining
  • Fix: After loading a world map savegame you will no longer start swimming on normal ground etc (wrong tile information were sometimes used)
  • Improved the behavior how often map events are triggered. Simple text popups won't be retriggered on every step but those with effects like the oasis healing effect will now
  • Window position and current monitor are now stored inside the config so the window will appear at the same position after relaunch
  • Added new key shortcut Ctrl+Shift+C to center the window on the main

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane

Release v1.6.8​

The game now also runs on macOS M1. Also for Windows and Linux there is now a patcher which will install future updates automatically (sorry Mac users but Apple is hell for developers). The patching must be confirmed and you can choose to not use the patcher at all.

index.php

Arcane

Release v1.7.0​

• Fixed loading of game data from ADFs with new game format (1.14+ English, 1.13+ German)
  • Status symbols are now instantly removed when a spell is cast which removes the condition
  • Added the implementation for the spell Stone to Flesh
  • Added healing animation for spells Heal Aging and Stop Aging
  • Fixed a crash when unequipping some items in combat
  • Fixed monster damage/defense display for spell "Monster Knowledge"
  • Fixed a bug where the num pad and esc keys could be used during scroll texts in doors or chests
  • Fixed a bug when moving with keys and using the speak function (infinite turning)
  • When fleeing a fight but the last player in battle dies, the 'pick leader' popup shows now up after leaving the battle (no more occasions where no party member is selected and lead to other issues)
  • Improved initial resolution to fit on the screen (especially for 16:9 monitors)
  • Check resolution on each startup to fit on screen if the monitor configuration was changed
  • Ensure window is visible on the monitor and the title bar is visible (on startup or leaving fullscreen)
  • Integrated original version 1.16

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
I really wish there was something to like this for Amberstar too. I've tried to get it running with Amiga emulation several times to no avail and don't really want to play the inferior PC version.

Absolutely amazing this Ambermoon project exists and continues to get such excellent support, though. Serious kudos to the people working on it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Nice to see the latest version fixed the flickering fullscreen issue on my system, though it could be because I'm using a new video card (RTX 3070) and a different version of Windows (LTSC) since the last time I tried this. Btw, is there a huge difference between classic and advanced?

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
I really wish there was something to like this for Amberstar too. I've tried to get it running with Amiga emulation several times to no avail and don't really want to play the inferior PC version.

Absolutely amazing this Ambermoon project exists and continues to get such excellent support, though. Serious kudos to the people working on it.
Hey mate,
if you are still looking to play the Amiga version of Amberstar you might be interested in this:

https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/phpbb/ftopic24905-0-asc-0.htm

The mediafire downloadlinks have a pre-packaged Amiga-version of Amberstar. Contains the DOS and Atari ST versions as well. Both the German and English versions, manuals and other stuff.
With the emulation comes the option of having multiple saves.
Runs out of the box, no config fiddleling needed.

I can't stop being amazed and thrilled by this brillant remake of this wonderful classic RPG. It really manages to enhance the game where it's most needed without stretching it too far. It feels and plays like the classic Amiga game but is so much more accessible and thus more enjoyable. Absolutely tremendous what Robert achieved here. I haven't tried the Advanced mode as of yet - has anybody? I'd love to hear how much new stuff is in there. I'm still a bit reluctant to start it though as I don't know how buggy it may be and as it's still early in development (I'd hate to restart the game again and again as new features and patches arrive).
Anyway, Ambermoon.net is a fantastic remake every RPG-fan should at least try. And give this guy some of your hard-earned buckazoids. He definitively deserves it, much more so than most devs.

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
I haven't tried the Advanced mode as of yet - has anybody? I'd love to hear how much new stuff is in there. I'm still a bit reluctant to start it though as I don't know how buggy it may be and as it's still early in development (I'd hate to restart the game again and again as new features and patches arrive).
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1593521

I released the first official release of Ambermoon Advanced. It is a big extension for the original game and is available for the Amiga as well.

It contains the first 2 of the planned 5 episodes:
- "Mysteries of the sea"
- "Elemental creatures"

There will be some places known only from Amberstar and also completely new dungeons and locations. You will also be able to play the first animal party member. Damage spells now make use of elements so it becomes more important which spell you choose against specific monsters. There will be some more cool new features I don't want to spoiler right now. And there is even an easter egg or two.

There are two very big quest chains which can be started after finishing the second island. But there are also some new things at the beginning to discover.

More information, images and download links can be found on the project page: https://GitHub.com/Pyrdacor/Ambermoon-Advanced

As this is a one-man hobby project there might be bugs, bad translations, bad game design choices or even crashes. Save often and report bugs please, so that I can fix them.
wink.gif

If you already played the beta (first episode) and want to continue you'll need to upgrade your savegame. I have created a patcher for this: https://Ambermoon-Advanced.pyrdacor.net. Just drop your save folders (e.g. Save.01) there (no original saves will work!) and you can download the patched ones.

Have fun with Ambermoon and the extension.

Naraya

Arcane

Hey mate,
if you are still looking to play the Amiga version of Amberstar you might be interested in this:

https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/phpbb/ftopic24905-0-asc-0.htm

The mediafire downloadlinks have a pre-packaged Amiga-version of Amberstar. Contains the DOS and Atari ST versions as well. Both the German and English versions, manuals and other stuff.
With the emulation comes the option of having multiple saves.
Runs out of the box, no config fiddleling needed.
Download a whole computer to play one game. What a time to be alive :salute:

made

Arcane
Sound
Why was the original Ambermoon released without sounds? Was there some explanation?
Sfx would only distract from the amazing music.

Updated OP with link to bonus content. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane

Release v1.8.2

• Added the fantasy intro from the original
  • Added the first french version of the original game
  • Added an improved language selection to the version selector
  • Ingame font now supports french letters
  • Outro text is now semi-transparent and left-aligend like in the original
  • Outro scroll speed reduced and it can now be paused
  • The dungeon map can now be opened with the M key
  • Hopefully music playback is a bit more robust now
  • Airship bone chest no longer restocks
edit:

Release v1.8.3

• In Ambermoon Advanced the sage will now tell the correct amount of SLP for spell scrolls
  • Fixed a crash issue when using spell scrolls with item spells where the scroll and the target item are in the same inventory
  • The O key will now also work for yes buttons (O stands for "oui" in french)
  • The patcher will now try to determine if it has write access to the installation directory and a message will be shown if it has not and you need to start the game with admin privileges
edit2:

Release v1.8.4

• Fixed crash when entering invalid characters
  • Fixed wrong savegame name storage
The last fix might have some consequences if you saved games in slots 11 to 30 with version 1.8.2 or 1.8.3. In 1.8.4 those savegames might be gone. But they aren't really. Backup your "ambermoon.cfg" (you find it next to your app) and then just open the original file and search for "AdditionalSavegameSlots" in it.
There should be blocks like:
{
"GameVersionName": "english",
"Names": [
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null,
null
],
"ContinueSavegameSlot": 0
},
The "GameVersionName" gives the name of the version you played. There are "english", "german", "french", "advanced_german" and "advanced_english". The "Names" list contains the savegame names for slots 11 to 30.
Your savegames might be inside the wrong block due to a previous error. So try to find your savegame names and copy them over to the right version block. Be careful to keep all brackets and commas in place and ensure the right positions of your savegame names.

Last edited:

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Hello! I never played this game before nor heard of it, so no nostalgia. This game seems fantastic! I have installed disco Elysium on the same day, and I forgot to launch it. Thanks to the dev (are they here?).

Is there a way to make the combat faster (wait is long)
How do you keep track of the quests and the "hints" (such as password for magic stones)

Hello! I never played this game before nor heard of it, so no nostalgia. This game seems fantastic! I have installed disco Elysium on the same day, and I forgot to launch it. Thanks to the dev (are they here?).

Is there a way to make the combat faster (wait is long)
How do you keep track of the quests and the "hints" (such as password for magic stones)
Yeah, you can change the combat speed in the game's options. This remake is utterly brillant, enhances the game where it's needed to be enjoyable by a modern audience without sacrificing anything of the original game experience. For tracking the quests you'll have to do it the old way: Write your own diary on paper or digitally (I myself always use a word-file to make my notes for RPGs).

warci

Educated
the absolute madlad even made a paper manual for it!! Grab it here while you can: amazon.de
The title is misleading, it's written in English and just absolute quality :greatjob:

index.php

Arcane
Release v1.8.6
  • Fixed crash when starting Ambermoon Advanced in 1.8.5
  • Improved the patcher
    • It now asks for admin privileges on Windows
    • If the patch fails after successful downloads (e.g. permission issues), a new error message is shown and you can just continue with your current version
Release v1.8.5
  • Adjusts damage and defense calculation slightly
  • Add game data version 1.18 for the original game

index.php

Arcane
https://pyrdacor.itch.io/ambermoon/devlog/656421/ambermoon-update-193

Ambermoon Update 1.9.3​

8 hours ago by Pyrdacor (@Pyrdacor)

This update adds a new feature called distance fog. This feature can be disabled in the options.

If active you can only see walls and objects at a certain distance in dungeons. Your light level will increase that distance.

In 3D outdoor maps (e.g. cities) this is also true at night. However you will always see far away objects but very dark.

At day or on 3D indoor maps there will also be a small amount of distant fog but you will see everything regardless.

This feature should add some atmosphere to the game and is activated by default. Let me know how you like it.

WwORQ5oC_o.png
QJcIqGWf_o.png

Beside this new feature there are 2 bug fixes and 1 new key shortcut:
  • In battles, monsters can now move left and right in the second last row.
  • 2D monsters should no longer move into walls.
  • You can trigger events or talk to NPCs in front of you with the space key in 3D.

Hi. I already posted this over at itch. The game crashes while starting. It happens both when I update 1.9.2 and when I directly download 1.9.3.

Error log:
[Render] Unable to create layer 'Map3DCeiling': Fragment info
-------------
0(8) : warning C7050: "outColor" might be used before being initialized
at Ambermoon.Renderer.OpenGL.RenderView..ctor(IContextProvider contextProvider, IGameData gameData, IGraphicProvider graphicProvider, IFontProvider fontProvider, ITextProcessor textProcessor, Func`1 textureAtlasManagerProvider, Int32 framebufferWidth, Int32 framebufferHeight, Size windowSize, Boolean& useFrameBuffer, Boolean& useEffectFrameBuffer, Func`1 screenBufferModeProvider, Func`1 effectProvider, Graphic[] additionalPalettes, DeviceType deviceType, SizingPolicy sizingPolicy, OrientationPolicy orientationPolicy)
at Ambermoon.GameWindow.CreateRenderView(IGameData gameData, IConfiguration configuration, IGraphicProvider graphicProvider, IFontProvider fontProvider, Graphic[] additionalPalettes, Func`1 textureAtlasManagerProvider)
at Ambermoon.GameWindow.ShowVersionSelector(BinaryReader builtinVersionReader, Action`4 selectHandler, TextureAtlasManager& createdTextureAtlasManager)
at Ambermoon.GameWindow.Window_Load()
at Silk.NET.Windowing.Internals.ViewImplementationBase.Initialize()
at Silk.NET.Windowing.WindowExtensions.Run(IView view)
at Ambermoon.GameWindow.Run(Configuration configuration)
at Ambermoon.Program.Main()

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom