Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

American McGee's Alice

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So is this game worth a shit or not?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's more of an action game than an adventure game. It's good to play it once for the interesting art direction but the action gameplay is repetitive and not very original. I'd say it's a decent way to spend a week-end if you have the opportunity but you probably won't want to replay it anytime soon.

it's alright to play once just to see all the art/hear all the music. and watch alice's animations. the action is neither very good nor very bad. a good choice for a remake, actually, if they can keep the good art, sound, and atmosphere direction, smooth out the story and voice overs, and add some better platforming/adventure/action elements.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Not high-grade material.

BUT it contains some nice situations and things to do.

Like, this one giant library, where you throw books all over the place, and these are magical books, you see, so you take advantage of their levitating powers to cross over whole areas, using them as makeshift steps.

And then there are rooms with virtually unreachable places, but there are hidden portals in them that let you go from one part of it to another. Very well hidden portals, as in: you walk into a room, and when you walk out, you find yourself on a different floor level. So there are two exactly similiar rooms, and walking into one can cause you to end up in the other room, without you even knowing it.

Also, there are some places that transcend space and time in this game, and objects and materials fly in and out in new ways and new patterns, and just briefly, a makeshift staircase would be formed that would allow you to traverse to another point of that space. It's a little difficult to describe.

catfood

AGAIN
I've only played it once since I never had the impulse to replay it, and that might say something about it's quality since I always replay games that I like several times. The level design is pretty nice at times, especially in the first levels, and the weapons are fun to use. But mostly what I liked about the game was the cat's voice. The actor had one slick accent.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The best part of the game was when Alice was skrunk down to a miniscule size, and had to go through a long journey through a world abnormally enlarged, climbing over small stones, crossing ponds the size of seas, and streams the size of rivers, and meeting large number of ants in their ant empire.

Very good platforming material, especially with having to use tiny branches and tree vines to swing through massive "chasms" in this shrunken experience.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't think it is a sequel.

It's actually another game with American McGee's name on it.

Double Ogre

Scholar
It's an amazing game, one of my favorites. I really like the psychedelic art direction, the unique soundtrack and the awesome level design. At its core it's a solid shooter with platformer elements, but most levels have their own shtick, so it doesn't feel repetitive. I've replayed the game many times, the playthrough on Nightmare difficulty, in particular, was a rather different experience, I have to say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom