Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Amiga buying recommendation

Wolfus

Arcane
... or, just, these marks can be from soldering
Definitely solder marks. When you put soldering iron directly on the tabe without any stand, sometimes it turns around and wreaks havoc.

I have a question for you, Codex.
My pal recently got interest in Amiga and started buying various parts over eBay for assembling.
Amigas were completely non-existant here, so he has a two very simple questions.

1) Can you use standard 5.25" or 3.5" FDD with Amiga or you need set jumpers/solder new terminator resistors like in old times of tinkering with ZX-Spectrums?

2) Sometimes accelerators for Amiga 2000 are sold.
a2620
http://i44.tinypic.com/20f21au.jpg
GVP G-Force 030 Impact Series II 40MHz accelerator w/ SCSI & RAM
http://i39.tinypic.com/s6r788.jpg

Can you use them with A3000 and A4000? And explain why if it's non possible. Apparently, they completely replace CPU, right?

1, No, you have to to modify FDD to use it in Amiga. Not every model can be modified.

2, Those boards are generally useless for A3000/4000 because they are (in most cases) weaker than standard A3000/4000. Buy Cyberstorm 060 or PPC + adequate graphic board.

Dr. West
Definitely go for A1200 + Blizzard 060 + CF to IDE (2GB CF card) + CF to PCMCIA (another 2GB card) + CRT monitor (C1084S, C1085S, Phillips 8833II or M1438, which is the best monitor for A1200).

Dr. West

Scholar
Dr. West
Definitely go for A1200 + Blizzard 060 + CF to IDE (2GB CF card) + CF to PCMCIA (another 2GB card) + CRT monitor (C1084S, C1085S, Phillips 8833II or M1438, which is the best monitor for A1200).

Hmm a 060 will be too pricey. As I understand it, I need a CPU with an MMU to exit games to workbench. That's all I need, so a (full) 030 should do the job. What advantages has a 060 over it, except for being able to play FPSs better (which I don't want to do anyway)?

I'll go for 2GB CF @ IDE and put a LAN adapter on the PCMCIA, I think.

Wolfus

Arcane
Dr. West

Hmm a 060 will be too pricey. As I understand it, I need a CPU with an MMU to exit games to workbench. That's all I need, so a (full) 030 should do the job. What advantages has a 060 over it, except for being able to play FPSs better (which I don't want to do anyway)?

I'll go for 2GB CF @ IDE and put a LAN adapter on the PCMCIA, I think.

Yeah, 030 is optimum for normal games. 060 is ideal. It's all abou raw power. As for RAM - 16MB is enough, 32 is ideal.
If you put LAN adapter to PCMCIA, you can transfer files via FTP or download them directly from Aminet. You just need to set up internet connection (it can be tricky). You can also use WiFi adapter (16-bit PCMCIA only, preferrably ORINOCO). I use CF/PCMCIA because its's more comfortable. It works basically like USB drive.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, doesn't anyone have any ideas for PC replacement joystick for TAC-2? I am talking real precision arcade joystick with solid build, no latency and short movement areas.

I'd settle for Tomahawk as well.

It is starting look more and more like I'll have to buy a couple of old TAC-2's and hope for the best.

Dr. West

Scholar
Got the Arduino, it's a real nice solution. Very easy to set up, the "IDE" sucks, though. Managed to get the USB host shield working with my mouse. Fooled around with various things. Salvaged some parts from old hardware (a printer and a charger mostly). Learning about microcontrollers and (re-)learning electronics. Shit's fun! Now trying to get the RF module working.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom