Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga Dungeoneering Collection

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
r5997zq7raduhdt6g.jpg

Over 60 games for now, more games will be eventually added. With manuals, maps, box scans and whatever else. This is what a directory with the entire current collection looks like:

rh5w773h3x1wruu6g.jpg

ia82j833nsnfcvi6g.jpg

rbuax30mvda68i96g.jpg

7j1cuhp7hzw2kau6g.jpg

3xfq4xfi118nbtu6g.jpg

(mediafire keeps resizing the images, the icons actually look beter)

It's very much in the style of my AoW stuff, but a lot bigger.

Here is the documentation: ADC Manual

Download links and installation:

First unpack this one in the destination directory:
- ADC Base

Then add any of the following. You can pile them up all together to achieve the above depicted horde.
- ADC Series - Bard's Tale - all 3 of them + Construction Set
- ADC Series - Thalion - Amberstar, Ambermoon, Lionheart (sort of bonus game)
- ADC Series - Ishar - all 3 in normal + AGA versions, Crystals of Arborea, Targhan (another bonus)
- ADC Series - Gold Box Part 1 - Dragonlance 1-3, Buck Rogers 1
- ADC Series - Gold Box Part 2 - Forgotten Realms 1-6
- ADC Series - Dungeon Master - DM1, Chaos and DM2
- ADC Series - Eye of the Beholder - EotB 1 & 2 + their AGA remakes using PC graphics
- ADC Series - Captive - 1+2, the 2nd one has CD audio packed with it as I didn't manage to make it play in WinUAE

The rest is packed by theme/style:
- ADC Pack - 3D/Dungeon - Abandoned Places 1+2, Black Crypt, Bloodwych + Extended Levels, Crystal Dragon, Dungeons of Avalon 1+2, Evil's Doom (originally unreleased), Fate: Gates of Dawn, Knightmare, Legend of Faerghail, Legends of Valour, Ve stínu magie
- ADC Pack - Horror - Elvira 1+2, Lords of Doom
- ADC Pack - Isometric - Hero Quest 1 + Return of the Witch Lord, Hero Quest 2, Hillsfar, Speris Legacy, Times of Lore, Tower of Souls
- ADC Pack - Sci-fi -Alien Fires 2199 AD, AutoDuel, Hilt 1+2, Hired Guns, Chaos in Andromeda, Perihelion: The Prophecy, Spacewrecked (a.k.a BSS Jane Seymour), Xenomorph
- ADC Pack - Odd - Alternate Reality: The City, Death Bringer/Galdregon's Domain, Drakkhen, Kargon, Obitus

I'm pretty sure I haven't configured everything 100% correctly, so please do report any errors you may encounter. So far the only game I had the time to play entirely through is Perihelion.

Standalone highlights of this collection, as you won't find those anywhere else:
- Ambermoon EN manual has been reconstructed by me using EN OCR/transcript and a German scan for images and layout
- Perihelion guide, which I have finally finished along with my first complete playthrough
- the icons, created from in-game or cover art; the archive contains some (yet) unused ones

Some useful Amiga links:
The Company - Many 1-click playable games for download, from potatoland
Hoborg's Amiga Ring - lots of games of various genres, pre-configured all in one installers, from another, smaller potatoland

An incredibly stylish archive with tons of manuals and other documents
ExoticA has, among other stuf, a huge archive of box scans

Bard's Tale pages
Captive pages
Fate: Gates of Dawn
Thalion pages

Last edited:

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cool. I have the game disk images in a collection, but I never managed to get WHDLoad to work properly using another frontend (Gamebase Amiga). So thanks.

Edit: almost all of the other sites seem to remove the kickstart roms, so maybe you should do so too.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
My connection is back from hell, so I was finally able to upload the rest...

And yeah, I wasn't able to make WHDLoad work until I found Hoborg's packages which have an out-of-the-box functional version included.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
The base pack contains WinUAE 2.5.1. Most games are configured to use the HWA package included in the base archive.
But I guess you can replace the emulator with another version that can eat the .uae files correctly.

zwanzig_zwoelf

- ADC Pack - Sci-fi -Alien Fires 2199 AD, AutoDuel, Hilt 1+2, Hired Guns, Chaos in Andromeda, Perihelion: The Prophecy, Spacewrecked (a.k.a BSS Jane Seymour), Xenomorph
- ADC Pack - Odd - Alternate Reality: The City, Death Bringer/Galdregon's Domain, Drakkhen, Kargon, Obitus

Man, I've been looking for Amiga version of Alien Fires 2199 AD for quite some time. :love:

:what:
Holy shit there are so many.

...Which ones should I try first?!

I'd personally recommend Hired Guns. If you have 1-3 friend(s) with gamepads and love cooperative action, it's even better.
But it's more challenging when played alone.

made

Arcane
Impressive effort. Sadly it's doomed to obscurity in this part of the forum.

I'll be sure to check out your Perihelion guide since I've never finished the game and likely never will.

Btw,
ADC Pack - Horror - Elvira 1+2, Lords of Doom
You're missing Waxworks, which also had an Amiga release.

If I had an android tablet and could put this on it I would be creaming myself right now.
I dont feel like playing these games on the desktop though

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I recently got into Amiga emulation and I wonder about version of games that are better (either graphics, sounds or some gameplay features) on Amiga than on DOS. I read that the Gold Box games are part of this category. Is it true?

mondblut

Arcane
I recently got into Amiga emulation and I wonder about version of games that are better (either graphics, sounds or some gameplay features) on Amiga than on DOS. I read that the Gold Box games are part of this category. Is it true?

Some of them. Pool of Radiance most obviously. DKK too, but it always crashed on me. One or two more pre-VGA ones, but not all, some look just like on PC. Like, Champions is hi-color but Curse looks like EGA, or the other way around, beats me.

Basically, the older the game, the more chances it looks better on Amiga. With VGA PC is fine enough. With games of 1990 and before, you might be in for a pleasant surprise. Heck, prehistoric stuff like Wizard Crown looks better on the fucking Atari than on PC. Of those I have tried, Dragon Wars looks better on Amiga, Legend of Faerghail does. Wizardry 6 surprisingly doesn't, but hey, these cheapskates stuck to vector dungeons all the way to 1988.

Just go to Mobygames and browse the screenshots, in most cases you can see both PC and Amiga screens and compare for yourself.

mondblut

Arcane

Graphics are what make a cRPG great. Not it's mechanics or rule systems.

u dumb? name which goldbox games - or other RPGs for that matter - have different mechanics or rule systems between Amiga and DOS ports?

Kaucukovnik

Cipher

Graphics are what make a cRPG great. Not it's mechanics or rule systems.

Mondblut's answer was quite spot on. Unless you are curious about, say, those different (and uglier IMO) sprites in Amiga DM2, you are better off playing DOS version.
And the earlier the game, the higher chance for it to look better on Amiga.

And Amiga versions tend to have better music in general.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
I don't like their closed nature too much. Got many of them downloaded anyway, sure. :)

You know what? I'll update the OP with some Amiga links for moar choice & info.

Edit: Also added the unique parts as standalone downloads.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I recently got into Amiga emulation and I wonder about version of games that are better (either graphics, sounds or some gameplay features) on Amiga than on DOS.

Hired Guns has waaay better graphics and sound on Amiga. AFAIK, music in DOS version was done through MIDI, while Amiga version has very cool tracker music and ambient.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Thanks, I asked because I've been curious to explore some old classics like the Gold Box ones and I wondered which version would be preferable. Pool of Radiance appears to look better but Pools of Darkness seens somewhat equal on both platforms.

Decisions …

At least it was easy for The Chaos Engine :D

made

Arcane
If you care about music & soundfx, the choice is usually in favor of the Amiga, unless the PC version had MT32 support or CD audio, but even then it's debatable (I prefer Ultima 6's Amiga soundtrack, for example).
Graphics-wise, Amiga wins until 256 color gfx became wide-spread, then it comes down to the quality of the port (Ultima 6 portraits look atrocious on the Amiga). If there's an AGA version available they'll look pretty much the same.

Some games may also differ in terms of input methods or UI, but I can't remember any examples off-hand.

u dumb? name which goldbox games - or other RPGs for that matter - have different mechanics or rule systems between Amiga and DOS ports?
Didn't resident DOStards complain about not being able to attack diagonally with ranged weapons in Ultima 5 or something? Not sure tho.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Really stellar collection. Very, very appreciative of the time and effort spent.

Thank you, sincerely.

Godspeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom